Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 06:45 PM

13 posts, read 45,701 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband and I have a 5-month-old daughter and are considering leaving NYC to move to Tarrytown (or other Rivertowns) to give her a more relaxed upbringing. We will be renting an apartment for now. That said, I had a few questions about the area. I looked at the city data charts but wanted to get real feedback from the locals:

1. How is the crime rate? Is it safe walking from the Metro north to your home at night after 10PM?

2. How are the elementary schools? I don't see them listed on Great Schools site.

3. I see a lot of towns outside of NYC are somewhat segregated, class-wise (where you see very rich and lower class living together without much middle class). Where would you place Tarrytown class-wise?

4. Any other thoughts, tips, or things we should consider?

We are down-to-earth, middle class people with artistic interests. My husband is a teacher in Long Island City and I am a stay-at-home mom for now (but am a classically trained musician and writer/editor). Thanks so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 05:06 AM

31 posts, read 135,605 times
I don't live in Tarrytown, and I don't know much about it, but when I was researching areas to live in Westchester it was on my short list because the home prices are reasonable and it has a nice walkable downtown area. I eliminated it because of the mediocre school ratings (I have young children). I chose the Mount Pleasant area (Pleasantville, Hawthorne, Thornwood, Valhalla) instead because of the down to earth reputation, good schools, and relatively decent home prices compared to other areas with similar school reputations/ratings (we have not moved there yet but most likely will in the future).

Good luck!

Old 07-05-2013, 04:36 AM

Thank you for your feedback!!

Anybody else have thoughts on this? Especially interested to hear about safety. Thank you!!

Old 07-07-2013, 01:09 AM

2 posts, read 7,909 times
ive lived in Tarrytown all my life! You honestly NEVER see anything on the news about crimes/rapes and things of that nature like you do in many other cities. Plenty of people just enjoy themselves outside, eating and sitting around in town chatting and having fun, its not like you normally see these days where people feel obligated to sit indoors or not hang around in town. It feels so much more free and safe here. I would highly recommend you atleast visit to have a look around. It was voted one of the most beautiful towns in america ever.
http://tarrytown.patch.com/groups/local-connections/p/forbes-ranks-tarrytown-among-top-10-prettiest-towns-in-america

Old 07-07-2013, 09:49 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,990 times
As Imlaurax posted, T-town is a lovely, historic town with many conveniences. There is also a YMCA where very young kids can take activities. But it's true that the schools there are a concern. Since your kid is only 5 months, you could rent there first and use that as a platform to look at other neighborhoods nearby. You will probably not need schools for another 5 years, which is a long time.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:56 AM

414 posts, read 302,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappergirl425 View Post
Hello!

My husband and I have a 5-month-old daughter and are considering leaving NYC to move to Tarrytown (or other Rivertowns) to give her a more relaxed upbringing. We will be renting an apartment for now. That said, I had a few questions about the area. I looked at the city data charts but wanted to get real feedback from the locals:

1. How is the crime rate? Is it safe walking from the Metro north to your home at night after 10PM?

2. How are the elementary schools? I don't see them listed on Great Schools site.

3. I see a lot of towns outside of NYC are somewhat segregated, class-wise (where you see very rich and lower class living together without much middle class). Where would you place Tarrytown class-wise?

4. Any other thoughts, tips, or things we should consider?

We are down-to-earth, middle class people with artistic interests. My husband is a teacher in Long Island City and I am a stay-at-home mom for now (but am a classically trained musician and writer/editor). Thanks so much!
Tarrytown is a great place, but if you plan to move somewhere for good, you should check out Dobbs Ferry, Hastings on Hudson, Croton on Hudson as well. Just for the schools really.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:32 AM

Thanks so much for the feedback, everyone!

It seems there are very few rentals available in Hastings, Dobbs Ferry and Irvington right now. I have heard the schools are better. We have moved so much in the last 8 years that we are trying to live in one place for a while.

Are the schools pretty bad in Tarrytown? What is it that makes them get a lower rating?? I can't figure it out with the online research I've done.

Thanks again!

Old 07-08-2013, 08:25 PM

414 posts, read 302,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappergirl425 View Post
Thanks so much for the feedback, everyone!

It seems there are very few rentals available in Hastings, Dobbs Ferry and Irvington right now. I have heard the schools are better. We have moved so much in the last 8 years that we are trying to live in one place for a while.

Are the schools pretty bad in Tarrytown? What is it that makes them get a lower rating?? I can't figure it out with the online research I've done.

Thanks again!
Could be class size, I'm not sure. I assume you would be able to arrange a tour, it's worth giving them a call.

If you are willing to look elsewhere, you can find good schools in Valhalla, Thornwood, Pleasantville, etc.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 6,689 times
Tarrytown, New York - In Photos: America's Prettiest Towns - Forbes

Very happy in Tarrytown - schools are very good for my young children. We are planning to move, but are choosing to stay in the district because of how well my kids are doing! I 100 percent recommend it!

Old 07-09-2013, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 12,026 times
Tarrytown is a wonderful place to live. It is a diverse community with a strong middle class. I've lived here for 23 years, one child in college and the other in high school. Both went through the public schools. The schools are good and the administration is responsive to parents, many of whom are very involved. Also there is a strong base of community members who support the arts in the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County