Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 07:55 PM

27 posts, read 32,231 times

Advertisements

You know, the one that has beautiful homes with a rural feel yet close to a charming village. Bicycle friendly with people of a progressive mindset... Maybe there are artists around, maybe plenty of other ex-Brooklynites who decided to leave. The schools in this town are excellent and there are plenty of activities nearby such as Mommy and Me Yoga, soul-cycle, etc... Some diversity would be nice too.

So far the closest thing I've come across is Beacon (I realize that's not Westhchester) but the commute is too far. My husband and I will need to come into the city about 3 x a week. He's absolutely fallen in love with a home in Pound Ridge so we're going to go and check that town out.

Our budget for a home is around $800,000. Northern Westchester is more appealing because it's less suburban but I'm afraid it may lack diversity. I want my daughter to grow up knowing kids of various races (I am mixed Hispanic and European and my husband is Italian). The lack of diversity wouldn't be a total deal breaker but if I could find the perfect place it would include this. I feel like what I'm describing is in California... does such a town exist in Westchester?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 10:34 AM

59 posts, read 147,578 times
I would highly recommend looking at Bedford Village. It has exactly the feel that you describe: "rural" (you're not going to find true rural anywhere in Westchester) with a charming village. Pound Ridge is actually part of Bedford, but the houses are much more secluded. In Bedford Village you are more likely to find neighborhoods with that "neighborhood" feel, with people walking around, kids playing outside etc. There's not much diversity in Bedford itself, but the school district combines with Mount Kisco in the middle and high school. Mount Kisco has a large Spanish speaking population so the school is very diverse.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:25 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,039,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rus12112 View Post
I would highly recommend looking at Bedford Village. It has exactly the feel that you describe: "rural" (you're not going to find true rural anywhere in Westchester) with a charming village. Pound Ridge is actually part of Bedford, but the houses are much more secluded. In Bedford Village you are more likely to find neighborhoods with that "neighborhood" feel, with people walking around, kids playing outside etc. There's not much diversity in Bedford itself, but the school district combines with Mount Kisco in the middle and high school. Mount Kisco has a large Spanish speaking population so the school is very diverse.
Need to clarify. They are entirely separate towns. You may be lumping PR in with Katonah and Bedford Hills, both of which are indeed in the Town of Bedford. PR is, however, in the Bedford School district.

That said, a part of PR is very close to Bedford Village, however, and the boundry isn't at all obvious. Bedford Village and PR really are joined at the hip. For example, they share and old-timey phone directory that pointedly excludes Katonah and Bedford Hills. Pound Ridge is also significantly cheaper than Bedford Village. Comparable houses in PR sell for less and taxes are lower as well so you get more for your money. It shouldn't be difficult to something nice, on 2 acres, and in your price range.

For the OP: Sounds to me like Pound Ridge is by far the closest to what you're looking for. There's as much community sense as you want. MS and HS are both highly diverse, PRES not so much. But you won't have all the urban amenities. Your diversity criteria exclude nearby Katonah (Lewisboro school district) and Chappaqua. Search my other posts on Pound Ridge for more info.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Need to clarify. They are entirely separate towns. You may be lumping PR in with Katonah and Bedford Hills, both of which are indeed in the Town of Bedford. PR is, however, in the Bedford School district.

That said, a part of PR is very close to Bedford Village, however, and the boundry isn't at all obvious. Bedford Village and PR really are joined at the hip. For example, they share and old-timey phone directory that pointedly excludes Katonah and Bedford Hills. Pound Ridge is also significantly cheaper than Bedford Village. Comparable houses in PR sell for less and taxes are lower as well so you get more for your money. It shouldn't be difficult to something nice, on 2 acres, and in your price range.

For the OP: Sounds to me like Pound Ridge is by far the closest to what you're looking for. There's as much community sense as you want. MS and HS are both highly diverse, PRES not so much. But you won't have all the urban amenities. Your diversity criteria exclude nearby Katonah (Lewisboro school district) and Chappaqua. Search my other posts on Pound Ridge for more info.
For some reason I've always thought that Pound Ridge was technically part of Bedford. Thanks for clarifying!

Old 02-25-2015, 06:50 PM

27 posts, read 32,231 times
Thanks so much for your suggestions. Kletter1mann, what is PRES an abbreviation for? And I'll be sure to check out your thread.
I've gotten some private messages suggesting Katonah and Pound Ridge as well. Looks like we'll be scoping out PR, BV, KTNH and Armonk (we have a friend there).

Old 02-25-2015, 06:57 PM

PRES = Pound Ridge Elementary School

Bedford Central School District consists of 5 elementary schools (Pound Ridge, Bedford Village, Bedford Hills, West Patent, and Mount Kisco), 1 middle school, and 1 high school (Fox Lane).

Old 02-25-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori777 View Post
Thanks so much for your suggestions. Kletter1mann, what is PRES an abbreviation for? And I'll be sure to check out your thread.
I've gotten some private messages suggesting Katonah and Pound Ridge as well. Looks like we'll be scoping out PR, BV, KTNH and Armonk (we have a friend there).
Pound Ridge Elementary School. I've never heard anybody say anything but good things. Including my wife and me when our kids went there.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:30 PM

931 posts, read 802,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori777 View Post
You know, the one that has beautiful homes with a rural feel yet close to a charming village. Bicycle friendly with people of a progressive mindset... Maybe there are artists around, maybe plenty of other ex-Brooklynites who decided to leave. The schools in this town are excellent and there are plenty of activities nearby such as Mommy and Me Yoga, soul-cycle, etc... Some diversity would be nice too.

So far the closest thing I've come across is Beacon (I realize that's not Westhchester) but the commute is too far. My husband and I will need to come into the city about 3 x a week. He's absolutely fallen in love with a home in Pound Ridge so we're going to go and check that town out.

Our budget for a home is around $800,000. Northern Westchester is more appealing because it's less suburban but I'm afraid it may lack diversity. I want my daughter to grow up knowing kids of various races (I am mixed Hispanic and European and my husband is Italian). The lack of diversity wouldn't be a total deal breaker but if I could find the perfect place it would include this. I feel like what I'm describing is in California... does such a town exist in Westchester?
Want diversity with art scene with a bunch of hippies and liberals roaming about? I guess if that's your thing, then Peekskill is the perfect fit for you. A ton of liberals and diversity there and all the side affects that comes along with that element.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:11 AM

Looks like it's time to bump this thread to set the record straight on Pound Ridge.

Addendum: while most of the above is certainly still valid (), the $4.5mio rec center never happened. Pity.

Last edited by kletter1mann; 02-26-2015 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: updated info

Old 02-26-2015, 08:05 AM

87 posts, read 228,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
Want diversity with art scene with a bunch of hippies and liberals roaming about? I guess if that's your thing, then Peekskill is the perfect fit for you. A ton of liberals and diversity there and all the side affects that comes along with that element.
I would say that Peekskill is the most Beacon-ish town in Westchester in terms of the art scene and diversity, but I wouldn't recommend the schools and it is quite a drastic change from the rural vibe of PR. On the other hand, I do suggest you look into the lower river towns (Hastings, Irvington, Dobbs). They are not rural, but feel a bit more like small villages than your typical suburb. These are probably the most progressive-leaning towns in the county, and all have very good schools. Dobbs has a bit of diversity.

Honestly, I don't know Pound Ridge beyond having driven through a couple times. River towns seem like a better fit than Bedford though, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County