Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 04:19 PM

107 posts, read 120,428 times

Advertisements

My family is moving from surburban W. MI to the NYC area due to my husbands job (long story). We are aware that as midwesterners we will have culture shock. We have a daughter entering 10th grade and a son entering 7th grade. Both excel in academics and are active in sports. We are looking for a town to live in with great schools, sports (LAX, CC, track, etc..), friendly people, not materialistic or snobby, and a decent commute to LaGuardia (preferably less than an hour by car). Our housing budget is $800K max. Where should we live? Am I delusional for asking this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 04:32 PM

195 posts, read 297,311 times
I would think you'd be better off in Queens/Long Island. Why set yourself up to have to cross the bridge every morning?
I know people who live in Lynbrook and are very happy with the area/schools and you should be able to find something there in your budget and that's about 30 minutes to LGA without traffic
In Westchester, you'd have to go at least 20 minutes north of the bridges to get a house for 800K in a decent school district (Harrison, White Plains, Eastchester for example) and then you're just adding that 20+ minutes to your drive, plus the bridge tolls (what is it now? $7 each way?)
Good luck!

Old 06-08-2015, 04:34 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
You might want to post this on the Long Island Board also, many communities in the Great Neck area of LI should fit your requirements.

Good Luck!

Old 06-08-2015, 06:22 PM

91 posts, read 196,444 times
Garden City, LI.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You might want to post this on the Long Island Board also, many communities in the Great Neck area of LI should fit your requirements.

Good Luck!
Already did. Also on NJ board and CT board. Everyone says to live on LI but I think it would be too much culture shock. I'm visiting the area Thursday.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:28 AM

988 posts, read 1,018,194 times
I would look at Douglaston Queens and maybe Garden City, Long Island. I much prefer Westchester to Long Island but if I worked in Queens I would not choose to live in Westchester.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:56 AM

276 posts, read 398,397 times
I grew up in Western Michigan as well, and I would agree with the suggestion to consider something closer (Queens or Brooklyn). I bought in Westchester, which I like, but the commute is something for which nothing in Western Michigan prepares you. My perception is that it would be brutal.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:20 PM

263 posts, read 344,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KensingtonPark View Post
I grew up in Western Michigan as well, and I would agree with the suggestion to consider something closer (Queens or Brooklyn). I bought in Westchester, which I like, but the commute is something for which nothing in Western Michigan prepares you. My perception is that it would be brutal.
So where do you live for your commute to be so unbearable?

Old 06-09-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KensingtonPark View Post
Thanks for the advice. It's good to hear from someone who knows what I'm talking about. I wouldn't make the commute, my husband would and he will do anything to make this move work. Being from W. MI you know that I'm used to big green yards, very affordable housing, good schools, no crowding. I absolutely would freak out from claustrophobia living in Queens or LI. We will only move if I can find a town somewhat faintly similar to MI even if it involves a nightmare commute.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:33 PM

263 posts, read 344,180 times
Wow. How selfish of you. I just moved to ny as well and i have a 1 hr commute door to door. However more than that will become a burden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County