Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 11:41 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
Rich? definitely more than most counties in the US
Boring? perhaps not the fast life, but its mostly suburban so what on earth do you expect.
Rundown? not sure this applies to the majority of county, certainly not up north where I live.
i guess when i mean rundown i mostly mean the quality of the roads, a lot of the villages look and feel old and many of the homes do as well.

granted there are some beautiful areas but those are mainly reserved for wall street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 12:19 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,661,569 times
I agree with Fastlife. I think unless you have kids and need good schools, there's no point to living there. I moved from Northern Westchester this past summer and only now do I realize how much driving I had to do all the time to get anything done. I liked it while I was there, but in retrospect, I'm thinking it wasn't all that good. I really don't see how anyone can like northern Westchester with Indian Point looming a few miles away. Unless you have a huge income, you can't take advantage of Manhattan since it is so costly to take Metro North if you don't have a monthly ticket. If you do have a monthly ticket, you need a high paying job to go with it. If you have a car payment and a monthly ticket, that could cost about $800/month alone including car insurance. I was not making nearly enough to live there, I realize now. It's not why I moved, but now I can see that. Northern Westchester is a beautiful area, but that's about it, IMO.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
I agree with Fastlife. I think unless you have kids and need good schools, there's no point to living there. I moved from Northern Westchester this past summer and only now do I realize how much driving I had to do all the time to get anything done. I liked it while I was there, but in retrospect, I'm thinking it wasn't all that good. I really don't see how anyone can like northern Westchester with Indian Point looming a few miles away. Unless you have a huge income, you can't take advantage of Manhattan since it is so costly to take Metro North if you don't have a monthly ticket. If you do have a monthly ticket, you need a high paying job to go with it. If you have a car payment and a monthly ticket, that could cost about $800/month alone including car insurance. I was not making nearly enough to live there, I realize now. It's not why I moved, but now I can see that. Northern Westchester is a beautiful area, but that's about it, IMO.
where are you now?

people are responding to me like i insulted their mother.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:52 PM

988 posts, read 1,017,490 times
Thefastlife, we're not taking it personally as if you insulted our mothers, but you must realize that this is a forum about living in Westchester. Although many of us, myself included, think that property tax rates are too high and that in general it's a very expensive place to live, we choose to live in Westchester and for good reason. It has many districts with outstanding public schools; it has Metro North which is an easy commute to NYC where many Westchester residents hold high paying jobs; it is generally safe and family friendly, with lots of beautiful parks for children; as suburbs go, it has excellent restaurants with great diversity (it's not just pizza and Chinese delivery). Yes it's expensive and yes I wish property taxes were lower, but if you have a family and commute to Manhattan for a reasonably high paying job, it's an excellent option. Like many others, I chose to live there over NJ, Long Island, etc., which choice I'd make 1000 times over.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Thefastlife, we're not taking it personally as if you insulted our mothers, but you must realize that this is a forum about living in Westchester. Although many of us, myself included, think that property tax rates are too high and that in general it's a very expensive place to live, we choose to live in Westchester and for good reason. It has many districts with outstanding public schools; it has Metro North which is an easy commute to NYC where many Westchester residents hold high paying jobs; it is generally safe and family friendly, with lots of beautiful parks for children; as suburbs go, it has excellent restaurants with great diversity (it's not just pizza and Chinese delivery). Yes it's expensive and yes I wish property taxes were lower, but if you have a family and commute to Manhattan for a reasonably high paying job, it's an excellent option. Like many others, I chose to live there over NJ, Long Island, etc., which choice I'd make 1000 times over.
different strokes for different folks. i mentioned that the schools are great. that is well known.

i also understand the ease of commute.

it's funny though. i was born and raised near the jersey shore and would chose that 1000 times over vs. this. so again, different strokes for different folks.

i feel a lot of issues in Westchester get swept under the rug because "the schools are great" or "it's close to Manhattan".

Old 08-24-2015, 02:10 PM

988 posts, read 1,017,490 times
I think to be fair that you have to compare Westchester to other suburbs immediately outside of NYC, such as Nassau and Bergen counties. All 3 counties struggle with the same issues of high prices and high property taxes, and it's because there is massive demand from upper middle class to wealthy families who want a reasonable commute to NYC and good public schools. Look, there are great things about the Jersey shore and there are lovely areas all over. (I'm not hating on NJ here, believe me.) But you can't fairly compare housing prices and property taxes in areas far from NYC with those areas accessible to NYC via a short train-ride. Almost by definition, the desirable areas close to NYC are going to be driven to very high prices.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:41 PM

307 posts, read 637,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
different strokes for different folks. i mentioned that the schools are great. that is well known.

it's funny though. i was born and raised near the jersey shore and would chose that 1000 times over vs. this. so again, different strokes for different folks.

i feel a lot of issues in Westchester get swept under the rug because "the schools are great" or "it's close to Manhattan".
Well there's the problem I guess, if you are comparing Westchester to the Jersey shore, then of course its going to seem like a terrible place to live. Not a fair comparison.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:28 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,661,569 times
Fast life-I PM'd you.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:51 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,169 times
I'd like to see how many people "love" Westchester when the Federal HUD makes your communities succumb to their policies of deciding which communities arent "diverse" enough and then you have the projects in walking distance from your 100 year old, less then $1 million homes...

Old 08-24-2015, 08:28 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post

To each his own.

I would live in Falleujah before I lived in Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County