Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2015, 06:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,039 times

Advertisements

A creep convinced my then college-aged daughter (he's older than she) to open a Dell account, which he used to run up a bill in the thousands. Of course he didn't make any payments, which he had promised to do. After many months, I got involved and had to threaten to sue him before he started making payments.

The problem is, he is very erratic/late in making the payments (which he mails to me), and I wind up making the payments myself to avoid late charges on the account, which would adversely affect my daughter's credit. I then have to hound him to send me his late payments. Because he makes only the minimum payment, I'm looking at an 10-year process for him to retire this debt. Not fun.

If I take him to small claims court, I might get a judgment against him but will I ever see the money (the balance on the account is over $1000.00)?

I have asked Dell to take my daughter's name off the account and put his on, but they refuse because they say it is a civil matter since my daughter gave him permission to use "her" account.

Can I sue Dell to have them switch ownership of the account? If so, how?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 06:21 AM

374 posts, read 1,059,021 times
ummmmm.... why would you sue dell for your daughter's resonsibility? This needs to be moved to another section.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:31 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times
Larchmont is a lovely choice. It's a fine community and the NYC commute is reasonable. Your daughter will do fine there and they don't allow low-lifes. Only Apple and Levono too, no Dell. Dells are for Mamaroneck.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:30 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,155,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeade View Post
A creep convinced my then college-aged daughter (he's older than she) to open a Dell account, which he used to run up a bill in the thousands. Of course he didn't make any payments, which he had promised to do. After many months, I got involved and had to threaten to sue him before he started making payments.

The problem is, he is very erratic/late in making the payments (which he mails to me), and I wind up making the payments myself to avoid late charges on the account, which would adversely affect my daughter's credit. I then have to hound him to send me his late payments. Because he makes only the minimum payment, I'm looking at an 10-year process for him to retire this debt. Not fun.

If I take him to small claims court, I might get a judgment against him but will I ever see the money (the balance on the account is over $1000.00)?

I have asked Dell to take my daughter's name off the account and put his on, but they refuse because they say it is a civil matter since my daughter gave him permission to use "her" account.

Can I sue Dell to have them switch ownership of the account? If so, how?

Thanks!

While this is clearly in the wrong section, I'll try to answer. No, you have no cause of action against Dell. the agreement she signed with Dell was likely a standard credit agreement. She is responsible for any charge she authorizes. If she gave him permission to run up the tab, then its her debt. I would pay off the account, bring the person to small claims court and argue he owes you the money now, plus all late fees. Collecting the money will be difficult, but you can garnish his wages, seize any asset like a car. Dell has done nothing wrong here. It is a costly lesson for your daughter. Best of luck.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,039 times
Thanks! I'm new here. How do I move my post to the appropriate place?

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: