Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 04:11 PM

9 posts, read 32,707 times

Advertisements

Call me racist all you want. I came from Long Island, which had an abundance of white, middle class, quiet neighborhoods where you could go to 7-11 and feel like you were still in America. I haven't found anywhere even close to that in Westchester county, unless I want to pay 500k for a shack in Mamonereck. I'm talking middle class, 90-95% white with strip malls. Nothing crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 05:45 PM

276 posts, read 397,961 times
I'm not white or middle class, but I think that one way to start is to name the towns in Long Island that fit your definition of "white." I can tell you that many of my (white) Manhattan resident friends don't like Mamaroneck because it is "too white." It only seems fair that you can look for what you want as well. There are a lot of towns that would fit the broad definition of what you are looking for. Without knowing more, I would vote for Pleasantville. It seems quite nice, it isn't crazy expensive, and very "white." However, if you are looking for a town with a village center in which you won't see ANY non-white people (except migrant workers), I think you'll have to go pretty far north.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:55 PM

9 posts, read 32,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KensingtonPark View Post
I'm not white or middle class, but I think that one way to start is to name the towns in Long Island that fit your definition of "white." I can tell you that many of my (white) Manhattan resident friends don't like Mamaroneck because it is "too white." It only seems fair that you can look for what you want as well. There are a lot of towns that would fit the broad definition of what you are looking for. Without knowing more, I would vote for Pleasantville. It seems quite nice, it isn't crazy expensive, and very "white." However, if you are looking for a town with a village center in which you won't see ANY non-white people (except migrant workers), I think you'll have to go pretty far north.
To answer your first question, towns like Mt. Sinai, Port Jefferson, Miller Place, Babylon, Sayville, King's Park, Smithtown, Lake Grove. I'd say those are 90% white overall, with the minority population being middle class Hispanic, which I don't mind at all.

Mamaroneck sounds perfect except I can't afford a home there right now.

I'll check out Pleastanville. It's not that I'm adverse to seeing ANY non-whites, it's just that I'd prefer most of my interactions be quiet and civil. I've lived in areas with high minority populations and going shopping was like being in a third world country. I try to avoid areas that are highly hispanic or with any more than 15% black.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:24 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metsCN View Post
To answer your first question, towns like Mt. Sinai, Port Jefferson, Miller Place, Babylon, Sayville, King's Park, Smithtown, Lake Grove. I'd say those are 90% white overall, with the minority population being middle class Hispanic, which I don't mind at all.

Mamaroneck sounds perfect except I can't afford a home there right now.

I'll check out Pleastanville. It's not that I'm adverse to seeing ANY non-whites, it's just that I'd prefer most of my interactions be quiet and civil. I've lived in areas with high minority populations and going shopping was like being in a third world country. I try to avoid areas that are highly hispanic or with any more than 15% black.
What an amazing post.

In any case, all you really need to do is avoid Yonkers, New Rochelle, Port Chester, Mt Vernon and a few specific neighborhoods in some other towns. Oh wait, you want strip malls and a nearby 7-11, almost I forgot. And, reading between the lines, $500k is too much. Sorry bud, sounds like LI is a better fit for you. Troll.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:47 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,860,440 times
A lot of suburbs in the capital region. You'll fit in perfecly with your budget.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:35 AM

93,213 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
A lot of suburbs in the capital region. You'll fit in perfecly with your budget.
Even there he would have to avoid parts of Colonie, Watervliet, Cohoes, Rensselaer and some other select suburban neighborhoods.

What is ironic is that NY State's Blackest zip code has a median household income in the low/mid $80,000's(11411 in SE Queens is 93.3% Black). Lakeview, a Long Island community that is 81% Black and NY State's Blackest community/municipality has a median household income of about $102,000. So, that kills the stereotype of places that are more than 15% Black not being of high quality.

I actually have a long list of examples of neighborhoods in NY State that are at least 10% Black and middle class(in relation to an area's COL) in 2 threads in the NY forum. There are quite a few at the census tract/census block group level, as well as other census division levels, according to recent information. So, that should have minimized excuses about knowing the truth about this and will yield mixed results.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-06-2015 at 11:46 AM..

Old 12-06-2015, 07:58 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
What an amazing post.

In any case, all you really need to do is avoid Yonkers, New Rochelle, Port Chester, Mt Vernon and a few specific neighborhoods in some other towns. Oh wait, you want strip malls and a nearby 7-11, almost I forgot. And, reading between the lines, $500k is too much. Sorry bud, sounds like LI is a better fit for you. Troll.

What is the problem? He/She is entitled to his/her opinion. You live in Pound Ridge, right?

Old 12-07-2015, 11:27 AM

973 posts, read 1,409,624 times
To the original poster - All, or nearly all, of the towns you listed as examples from LI are in Suffolk County. But yet, by looking at Mamaroneck, you are looking at Westchester Towns below 287. Comparing Suffolk County to Lower Westchester is comparing apples and oranges. Anything that fits your criteria that is below 287 in Westchester will be among the richest and most expensive suburbs in America. Your criteria, as well as your LI examples, should have you looking outside of Westchester (Rockland, Putnam, Duchess, Orange), or very northern westchester, such as Yorktown or Somers.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:35 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What is ironic is that NY State's Blackest zip code has a median household income in the low/mid $80,000's(11411 in SE Queens is 93.3% Black). Lakeview, a Long Island community that is 81% Black and NY State's Blackest community/municipality has a median household income of about $102,000.
That indicates self-segregation. If you have the economic means to live where you like but specifically choose to move to an area where your own race is represented to the near exclusion of other races, you get a very negative reception on City-Data New York.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:01 PM

93,213 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
That indicates self-segregation. If you have the economic means to live where you like but specifically choose to move to an area where your own race is represented to the near exclusion of other races, you get a very negative reception on City-Data New York.
I understand what you are saying. It could also indicate how housing patterns were established and have stayed the same or similar in a neighborhood or community as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County