Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 06:34 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,662,529 times

Advertisements

hi , I lived in Croton for 4 years. At the time I lived there, I thought it was beautiful and reminded me of the Cape. But now that I have distance from it and something to compare it to, I see how little that side of the Hudson has, with the exception of nature, which of course, is beautiful. If you think just outside of Boston is sleepy, I think you'll find Westchester in a coma. It's not at all progressive and hard to meet anyone if you don't have kids. Just my two cents. To me, White Plains has a very vacant feel to it, with no interesting places to eat, etc. If I had to move back there however, I'd try to live in Mt. Kisco. Northern Westchester is beautiful but that's about it I think these are really bedroom communities with some good school districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 07:21 AM

93,375 posts, read 124,009,048 times
I know it is a bit further north, but what about Beacon? It seems to be revitalizing with its growing Arts scene. It is a very diverse small city too.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:49 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
OP, you sound exactly like me! I lived in Berkeley and have also lived in Northborough right outside Boston. To me, the closest place that I've seen in Westchester to strike a great balance between affordable, safe, and also "coming up" is White Plains or Port Chester. I really enjoyed my time living in the WP and found it had a good amount of nature, shopping, dining, young people, diversity, etc. I lived in downtown and worked in NYC so also mostly got around by foot and public transit. I hate driving so this was a huge draw for me.

I also love the "classic Westchester" areas like Rye or Mt. Kisco but they are more established and sleepy than what you're looking for it seems like. They're also more expensive, but since you're coming from the Bay Area I won't make any assumptions on what "expensive" means to you.

You may also want to try looking into CT. It's not unusual for people to live in CT and work in NYC or Westchester - the property taxes are a lot lower. I heard a decent amount of people at IBM live in Ridgefield, which is a GREAT town, but may be too sleepy for you.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:11 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I know it is a bit further north, but what about Beacon? It seems to be revitalizing with its growing Arts scene. It is a very diverse small city too.
I was thinking Beacon too - or maybe the waterfront in Newburgh. Both are still going to seem pretty sleepy though and the commute isn't ideal either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County