Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 08:58 AM

830 posts, read 1,093,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
There is no rye brook high school. Rye brook homes will mostly go to blind brook high school or port Chester high school. The former is a tiny high school i don't know much about and the later might be majority Spanish with a high incidence of drop outs, young single moms and other problems afflicting immigrant and minority communities.

Larchmont goes to mamaroneck.

My recommendation is that you house shop by school district and not by town or village. Pick what school district you want and go from there. It matters much less what your mailing address is or which municipal government you want.
Rye Brook doesn't have much of a town apart from the Rye Ridge Shopping Center but is close to both Rye and Greenwich CT. Most people use Rye or Port Chester for train (PC if you need to park as Rye waiting list is literally years). Blind Brook High school is very small and homogenous, but very highly ranked. Port Chester is diverse and lower ranked. Some people choose PC school district of Rye Brook and go private as the home values are considerably less (taxes not so much though). Rye Brook residents also have access to buy Rye beach passes, but not to the golf/pool club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 09:38 AM

276 posts, read 398,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by working-mom-of-two View Post
Which school districts do you recommend? This has totally thrown me off my search because I was doing it according to towns!
Since I don't know your kids' or your preferences/needs, I can only tell you what I narrowed it down to when I did my search.

I wanted to stay south of I-287, so that was the first cut. Then I looked at the following:

Dobbs Ferry
Irvington
Edgemont
Scarsdale
Rye
Rye Neck
Larchmont

I ultimately eliminated the River Towns after looking around at the available houses and focused on the remaining school districts. We ended up choosing a house in the Rye Neck school district, mostly for its small size and its teachers and administrators, who were very friendly and helpful. We liked all of the school districts quite a bit, so I suspect that we would have been quite happy in any of them. These are all very good schools, so my desire was to find the district that seemed to fit my kids' personality the best.

We couldn't visit every school district, however, so my initial list was culled based on what I researched online about the school district, including here. While not a totally fair comparison, I needed to narrow it to begin the search. Really liked the Houlihan Lawrence site, since you can login and save your searches and come back to them. I created a search for each of the school districts and checked it quite regularly.

Good luck!

Old 05-25-2016, 11:06 AM

20 posts, read 31,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KensingtonPark View Post
Since I don't know your kids' or your preferences/needs, I can only tell you what I narrowed it down to when I did my search.

I wanted to stay south of I-287, so that was the first cut. Then I looked at the following:

Dobbs Ferry
Irvington
Edgemont
Scarsdale
Rye
Rye Neck
Larchmont
This is extremely helpful!!! We have most of these towns in our list. But Rye neck and Irvington are new additions now

I had no idea we can go visit the schools! We will be moving next summer 2017, so is it better to check out schools before the summer break or after, when the new academic year starts?

We have 2 girls and they are academically inclined but also love swimming, gymnastics, art and music. They love being outdoors and that's also a big reason for our move. We want a good school district, with enough options arounds us to enjoy the outdoors (hiking, swimming, beach access would be lovely, golf would be a big bonus for the hubby!) Even though Rye seems to have all of what we are looking for, I think economically we will be priced out and we don't want to have the Jones' lifestyle at all.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:18 PM

973 posts, read 1,412,497 times
Westchester County School District Real Estate | Real Estate Hudson Valley

This page has a good map of Westchester school districts to help you acclimate. I don't vouch for the site or the ratings noted in the map. Its just a good graphic picture of what you are looking at.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I had no idea we can go visit the schools! We will be moving next summer 2017, so is it better to check out schools before the summer break or after, when the new academic year starts?
I would call them and schedule a time during a week that you're doing neighborhood search. The way they respond to you can be an indicator of their ability to provide the kind of attention that you and your kids want/need. That's what we did. We had nice visits with each of the school districts, and the character of the school kind of came out during those visits.

Quote:
We want a good school district, with enough options arounds us to enjoy the outdoors (hiking, swimming, beach access would be lovely, golf would be a big bonus for the hubby!) Even though Rye seems to have all of what we are looking for, I think economically we will be priced out and we don't want to have the Jones' lifestyle at all.
I don't know your price range, but there are many parts of Rye that aren't SO pricey. Based on what you want for activities, both Rye and Rye Neck could work for you. Rye Golf Club, especially, is a nice and reasonably priced perk that isn't too expensive as golf clubs go, yet not as busy or packed as a public course.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:07 PM

20 posts, read 31,600 times
Our price range is under $1Mn. From what I've heard, Rye is full of richie riches and even though the school district is very good, most send their kids to private schools. Can neighboring towns access Rye Golf Club?

Old 05-25-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Our price range is under $1Mn. From what I've heard, Rye is full of richie riches and even though the school district is very good, most send their kids to private schools. Can neighboring towns access Rye Golf Club?
There are definitely plenty of wealthy people in Rye, but there are many small neighborhoods that aren't full of "richie riches." The Rye Neck School District, for example, often has many very nice homes in your price range (they sell fairly quickly, however). It includes part of the City of Rye and part of the Village of Mamaroneck. It's slightly more expensive to join the Rye Golf Club if you're in Mamaroneck, but I don't believe that the Golf Club is that heavily subscribed that you couldn't get in.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KensingtonPark View Post
There are definitely plenty of wealthy people in Rye, but there are many small neighborhoods that aren't full of "richie riches." The Rye Neck School District, for example, often has many very nice homes in your price range (they sell fairly quickly, however). It includes part of the City of Rye and part of the Village of Mamaroneck. It's slightly more expensive to join the Rye Golf Club if you're in Mamaroneck, but I don't believe that the Golf Club is that heavily subscribed that you couldn't get in.
Despite some modest areas you will find VERY few single family homes under $1M in the city of Rye, unless it's very much a fixer upper. Some parts of the area served by Rye Neck schools are technically part of the city of Rye, some are part of the town of Rye (which does not include Rye city and includes Port Chester and Rye Brook). However, I don't think most people consider the area that serves Rye Neck schools as part of what you would call Rye. This must sound ridiculous to anyone not familiar with Westchester.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't say most send their kids to private schools. I would estimate only around 30% since the public schools are excellent. Those that do go private mostly go Catholic schools, Rye Country Day, the New England boarding schools, NYC (Regis/Dalton) or some of the backcountry Greenwich schools.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:22 PM

973 posts, read 1,412,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
Despite some modest areas you will find VERY few single family homes under $1M in the city of Rye, unless it's very much a fixer upper. Some parts of the area served by Rye Neck schools are technically part of the city of Rye, some are part of the town of Rye (which does not include Rye city and includes Port Chester and Rye Brook). However, I don't think most people consider the area that serves Rye Neck schools as part of what you would call Rye. This must sound ridiculous to anyone not familiar with Westchester.
This is 100% true, and true of all of suburban NYC that is within NYS. Its a function of the fact that your school district is the single most significant factor defining where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County