Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 08:59 AM

830 posts, read 1,093,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobslander View Post
I used to commute to Astoria every single day of the working week from Chappaqua and it used to take me about 30 minutes... From Beacon, I'd add another 30 minutes.

It's all about compromising: Beacon does have an artsy community and it's a lot more diverse than lily-white Westchester.
Chappaqua to Astoria in 30 min..? + 30 to Beacon? I used to do Pleasantville to LIC and not once was it ever possible in a half hour. Telling someone Beacon to Astoria takes an hour is doing a disservice to them. Unless they are commuting well outside of rush hours this is a gross exaggeration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 09:43 AM

195 posts, read 297,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
Chappaqua to Astoria in 30 min..? + 30 to Beacon? I used to do Pleasantville to LIC and not once was it ever possible in a half hour. Telling someone Beacon to Astoria takes an hour is doing a disservice to them. Unless they are commuting well outside of rush hours this is a gross exaggeration.
Totally agree. You can make it from the Bronx to Mount Pleasant in 25 minutes on a Sunday afternoon doing 80. It took me 25 minutes to go from the Bronx to Manhasset on Long Island and I was off peak. Unless you're flying there's no way to get to LIC in 30 minutes except MAYBE from Pelham if you're super super lucky. Beacon is over an hour from the Bronx without traffic. Which means you have to tack on AT LEAST 20 minutes if you're being super kind to get to LIC.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:55 PM

130 posts, read 179,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
Not true at all.

Like I said, I used to commute from Chappaqua to Astoria every day of the week (hence I'm not opining, I'm informing). I used to leave my house at around 6:25 every morning and be by the police station on 35TH Street and Astoria Blvd. at around 6:55-7AM. The ride down the SB and the BRP were usually a breeze and I seldom had to hit 75mph. The only trouble spot was the exit/ramp onto the Bruckner and the darn light (the one by the school). But after that, clear sailing.

I have a friend who commutes from Carmel and it takes him an additional 15 minutes to get to the same spot. Hence my comment.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymtea View Post
Totally agree. You can make it from the Bronx to Mount Pleasant in 25 minutes on a Sunday afternoon doing 80. It took me 25 minutes to go from the Bronx to Manhasset on Long Island and I was off peak. Unless you're flying there's no way to get to LIC in 30 minutes except MAYBE from Pelham if you're super super lucky. Beacon is over an hour from the Bronx without traffic. Which means you have to tack on AT LEAST 20 minutes if you're being super kind to get to LIC.
According to my calculations... at 80mph... in 25 minutes... distance covered is almost 34 miles.

Distance from Pelham (by Christopher Columbus HS) to Long Island City: 9 miles.

Who's exaggerating?

Old 10-21-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
According to my calculations... at 80mph... in 25 minutes... distance covered is almost 34 miles.

Distance from Pelham (by Christopher Columbus HS) to Long Island City: 9 miles.

Who's exaggerating?
I said it takes 30 minutes without traffic to get from this side of the bridge up to the Mount Pleasant/Chappaqua area. From the Bronx to Chappaqua is about 25 miles. Right now google says the ride is 43-45 minutes depending on which road you take. If you can make the commute to Astoria in 30 minutes, my hat's off to you. I can't imagine how you do it. In my experience, it's impossible unless you're a witch.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:21 PM

27 posts, read 82,553 times
I think you should stay in Port Washington. Great schools, pride in the town, and no bridges/tunnels to LIC. From what I hear from Port friends, it is safe for teens to walk to school and shops; and the High School has a wonderful theater Dep't. You also have the Landmark theater and nice library. I don't think you will find a better town considering your commute.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I said it takes 30 minutes without traffic to get from this side of the bridge up to the Mount Pleasant/Chappaqua area. From the Bronx to Chappaqua is about 25 miles. Right now google says the ride is 43-45 minutes depending on which road you take. If you can make the commute to Astoria in 30 minutes, my hat's off to you. I can't imagine how you do it. In my experience, it's impossible unless you're a witch.
43-45 minutes for 25 miles? That calculates to an average of 33.33 miles per hour.

You're a rock star.

Old 10-22-2016, 04:01 AM

Quote:
43-45 minutes for 25 miles? That calculates to an average of 33.33 miles per hour.

You're a rock star.
Look, we've just got to agree to disagree on this because we're doing OP a disservice at this point and derailing this thread. Truce?

Old 10-22-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Look, we've just got to agree to disagree on this because we're doing OP a disservice at this point and derailing this thread. Truce?
Look, I answered the question without passing judgement. It was others who, even though I stated I used to drive the same route the thread originator intends on driving, meaning I have first-hand knowledge, decided to attack my comment by saying it's deceptive.

Grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County