Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 10:11 AM

1,186 posts, read 966,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseygl View Post
Yeah I realize that I will have a longer commute if I end up working in the city. I am wanting a commute under an hour (whether by train or car). It looks like Stamford might have closer to an hour commute into NYC, but we can find a better apartment for $2200 in Stamford than say in White Plains. Westchester seems expensive from what I've seen. Maybe this is true or maybe I'm not looking in the right areas?

We also considered Stamford back in 2015, while shopping for a home. Ultimately our pro/con list of Stamford vs. Westchester (specifically lower Rivertowns) looked something like this (everyone's priorities will vary):

Pros:

Lower prices (purchasing & renting)
More selections to choose from (purchasing & renting)
Larger city/access to amenities
Access to larger freeways like 280/i95, etc

Cons:

New Haven Line much more crowded than Hudson Line
Longer in-train commute time vs. Westchester Rivertowns (Hastings/Dobbs/Arsley/Irvington/Tarrytown)
Crowded/congested neighborhood layout for most homes on the market
More traffic due to larger freeways like 280/i95, proximity to Long Island, etc
Commute time to the train station put total commute time well over an hour in good weather conditions (larger station in the downtown area, more traffic, less parking, etc)

Ultimately, we preferred the less congested neighborhoods and shorter commute and took the higher prices, taxes and lack of market selection as a consequence. The nice thing with renting is that you have some flexibility to choose one area and then later relocate if you find that there is a more desirable area. That's what we originally did from MN to NJ to NY after a couple years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 03:55 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
The nice thing with renting is that you have some flexibility to choose one area and then later relocate if you find that there is a more desirable area.
Good list. I agree with the renting advice. We rented for three years while we shopped around and it was the perfect way to do it.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:08 AM

14 posts, read 16,562 times
This has all been really helpful advice! I think we are going to focus on Stamford for prices after seeing some apartments within a 10 minute walk to the train station. All of your suggestions very much helped our process.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:51 PM

866 posts, read 2,485,536 times
Downtown Stamford has really been revitalized in the last decade, so it could definitely be a good choice if you can find something that's walking distance to the train. Plenty of bars, restaurants, and shopping, and there are express trains into the city. Traffic on the I95 during rush hours is a nightmare through Stamford so be aware of that.

You mention that Westchester seems expensive though and that makes me think you haven't done enough homework - this is one of the most (if not THE most) expensive regions in the country. You need to prepare yourself for this. Being across the border in CT isn't going to make much difference. However, the further you get from NYC the cheaper things do get.

Good luck!

Old 01-26-2017, 01:02 PM

14 posts, read 16,562 times
Yeah, I only say Westchester seems more expensive because I have seen a few 1 bedroom apartments in downtown Stamford with a 7-10 minute walk to the train, washer/dryer, and nicely updated for $2000-2200. From what I've seen in Westchester, those same apartments are closer to $2400-2800, which is out of our preferred budget. If you know of areas or apartment buildings in Westchester that fit the bill, please let me know!

Old 01-31-2017, 08:02 AM

185 posts, read 422,842 times
Hi OP, welcome to Westchester.

My advice would be to take the lead of the advisors provided through your husband's work, and add the stipulations you need,like being close to the train. Granted it was over 20 years ago,but I lived in KC because of work for a bit, and the biggest thing to me was how much easier and accessible KC was compared to Manhatten. You will need to drive to a train station most likely in any Westchester town. By the way, if esl is what you are after, you will get plenty of higher paying jobs right here, check out YOUR job prospects in Westchester county first. Commutation and parking costs will easily eat away at any salary bump even if there is one.

Can you visit before the move? There are upscale "country" towns with train stations, as well as larger town/cities. If your husband is driving to Armonk, which is beautiful, he may not want to be driving from a congested downtown apartment building in White plains or Stamford for example. (Although both cities are great for restaurants) just my opinion. IMHO, since Armonk is close to CT, you can get apartments and entertainment and esl needs in the port Chester, greenwich,stamford corridor , living in those towns or any in between. ..check the job listing first.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:11 AM

185 posts, read 422,842 times
By the way, a quick glance indicated that there are many more esl opportunities for kids,rather than adults in any location. However if you are bilingual there are plentiful non teaching jobs....

Old 02-16-2017, 08:16 PM

13 posts, read 38,755 times
I'd also suggest Tarrytown - cute downtown (though more like a small town than city) and 38 min train to city. We live in Sleepy Hollow which is the town just next to it. People here are very friendly.... and remind me of growing up in the midwest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County