Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:01 PM

7 posts, read 17,359 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for a home and found something we like in Briarcliff Manor. I happened to stumble across some information on toxic waste being dumped in the fields of the Briarcliff middle and high school. I am very disturbed by this. Has anyone heard of this and is it still an issue? I have a 15 month old and school is a major selling point of the area we decide to settle in. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 05:29 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,149,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenam View Post
My husband and I are looking for a home and found something we like in Briarcliff Manor. I happened to stumble across some information on toxic waste being dumped in the fields of the Briarcliff middle and high school. I am very disturbed by this. Has anyone heard of this and is it still an issue? I have a 15 month old and school is a major selling point of the area we decide to settle in. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Its a few of the high school fields that are the problem. In the 1990s, the school did a "fill for fields" deal where a construction company agreed to dump clean construction debris (which should be dirt, concrete, rocks and some wood, but not chemically treated products, asbestos, pressure treated wood, things like this) in the low areas around the school, grading it and then building fields on top when finished. The construction company dumped dirty fill. The fields were used for awhile but the state regulators looked into it and the fields tested high for some nasty carcinogens and other chemicals. The fields are closed and remediation continues. It is being treated. With a 15 month old, I think it is probable that by the time she/he is in middle school you will have no problems, but its your decision to make. The town and school district has information on the remediation available and what the dangers are. Good luck.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:56 AM

Thank you dr.strangelove. I really appreciate the info. This is really disappointing to know. Such a great area and for something like this to happen at the schools is despicable. If anyone else on here knows more I would like to hear. Thanks again.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:29 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,149,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenam View Post
Thank you dr.strangelove. I really appreciate the info. This is really disappointing to know. Such a great area and for something like this to happen at the schools is despicable. If anyone else on here knows more I would like to hear. Thanks again.
I talked to a friend here at work who lives in Briarcliff and he told me the remediation was completed 2 years ago. The dirty fill was excavated and a cap was put down, then artificial turf was put on one field (football/soccer he thinks) and grass over the cap on the other (softball/multi purpose). Monitoring continues, but he said the reports are that it has been cleaned. I can't verify this, but its worth looking into. Good luck to you.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:51 AM

Interesting. Thanks so much for inquiring with your friend and for sharing. It might be worth looking into. Although I don't think I will ever truly feel comfortable with it.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:01 AM

223 posts, read 828,064 times
Fields are now fixed and being used again. There are required follow ups to make sure they stay in compliance/ok.

If you have any other ?? LMK, We love Briarcliff and have lived here for 15 years

Old 04-28-2017, 02:00 PM

Thanks mfenimore. I've looked into the issue quite a bit in the last few days and a few people have confirmed what you said in your post...that the issue has been fixed, which is a big relief. If i have any other questions I will happily let you know. Appreciate your response. Thanks again.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,950 times
Hi-

I am in the same dilemma as OP. OP- were you able to make a decision or find any further convincing information in this regard that might have helped make you a calculative decision.

Thank You

Old 06-08-2017, 01:56 PM

Westchester_Hunter,

We didn't move forward with the house in Briarcliff but it had nothing to do with the school issue. We tried to do as much research as possible while we were considering that home though. The school directed us to a website where there were some reports detailing the risk before they corrected the issue. I also spoke to a local resident of the town who had children in the schools and he said that the issue was resolved...fill was removed and has been fine. If we were going to move forward with that particular home I would have spent a lot more time digging into it to make sure I was completely comfortable with it. You should get in touch with the school and ask them to provide you with the reports/info on how they addressed the situation. Although I'm sure the school would want to paint everything in the best light possible. At least if you have some documentation that it was removed and they are testing it regularly then you can decide if you're ok with it or not. Good luck.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:18 AM

326 posts, read 718,636 times
Research "crumb rubber fields", apparently toxic school fields filled with old tires are a problem all over the country. My friend's step daughter used to play softball in California on different school fields until she developed leukemia. A family member of mine works in a park owned by Westchester County where old tires are used as fill, (the area kids use the field for team sports), he uses a mask when he works on the field. Crumb rubber fields have been banned in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: