Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,820 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am a mom of an almost 2 year old and an almost 6 month old. I grew up in Northern Westchester but now live on Long Island because that's where my husband is from. We have built a nice life there around the water and have some amazing friends an neighbors, but since having the kids (and 3 dogs), our tiny house and tiny yard and distance from my family has been hard. We are looking at moving back to Northern Westchester, specifically Katonah. Husband works near Grand Central, so his commute will actually become better not coming into Penn Station. I am a Hair Stylist/Colorist and would most likely continue that. Some questions about the area, if you don't mind.... :-)

1. We LOVE the little downtown of Katonah, but all the houses seem rather close together or no master bath, which is fine, but that's pretty much what we have going on now where we are, and we'd be looking for more space. We have seen some nice houses off of Indian Hill Rd, which says its address is Katonah, but is really closer to the Golden's Bridge train station. I saw a lot of swing sets in the yards, but would one feel less part of the community living that far out? Yes, I'm looking for more privacy, but it would be nice to know my neighbors from walks and whatnot.

2. Coyotes: I've been hearing a lot about this lately. We have 3 medium/smallish dogs. Where we are now I can let them run in our (small) back yard in and out all day without a worry, but how bad is it up here? Would I need to be outside with them every time they go out?

3. Hair Salons- It's been a while since I lived here, what are some higher end but very friendly salons? I'm trying to figure out what might be the best fit for me to apply for work. I'm used to quality work, without the attitude:-)

4. Social life: Do you feel that there are sufficient "date night" places to go living as far up as Goldens Bridge? We don't do much now because our kids are so little, but it's just good to know. We love restaurants and movies, what do people do if they want to "go out" on the weekends?

5. Overall impressions of the schools? I grew up in a town a few towns south of Katonah with amazing schools, but it was quite the pressure cooker. I'm looking for motivated kids but not anxiety ridden if they are not "the best."

6. Train Parking: I hear there is a waitlist to Goldens Bridge and Katonah, anyone know how long? And for the metered parking in Goldens Bridge, what time does the lot fill up? Any other parking options I should know of?

7. Snow Removal and Garbage pickup- what does everyone do for this? It's included in our taxes on LI, but not where we are looking now.

8. Grocery stores, pharmacies, basic needs, where do people go?

Anything else you think is important for me to know, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thank you so much for taking the time to read and give me your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County