Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 09:28 AM

364 posts, read 1,979,280 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Westchester, I live in Yonkers. Good.

So, the other day I was talking with friends at work and told them that I had just moved to Westhester. They responded saying: "if you live in Yonkers you live in NYC buddy".

Well, since Westchester is north of Manhattan, I thought I was technically living "upstate near the city". I thought NYC was Manhattan and the other boroughs only.

My question for you old timers: WHERE ARE WE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJones View Post
I just moved to Westchester, I live in Yonkers. Good.

So, the other day I was talking with friends at work and told them that I had just moved to Westhester. They responded saying: "if you live in Yonkers you live in NYC buddy".

Well, since Westchester is north of Manhattan, I thought I was technically living "upstate near the city". I thought NYC was Manhattan and the other boroughs only.

My question for you old timers: WHERE ARE WE?
NYC consists of Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island.

Yonkers is in Westchester county and while you might be close to the Bronx, you're still in Westchester. You're in New York State, but not the city.

You can freely tell "buddy" that he's incorrect.

By the way, welcome to New York!

Old 03-12-2008, 12:44 PM

364 posts, read 1,979,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
NYC consists of Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island.

Yonkers is in Westchester county and while you might be close to the Bronx, you're still in Westchester. You're in New York State, but not the city.

You can freely tell "buddy" that he's incorrect.

By the way, welcome to New York!
Thanks for your post.

I guess my friend needs some geography lessons

Old 03-12-2008, 02:39 PM

371 posts, read 1,567,210 times
You live in Westchester!

Old 03-12-2008, 03:45 PM

11 posts, read 77,587 times
I'm guessing your buddy was referring to the atmosphere of yonkers rather than the geographical location - my impression is that yonkers feels much more urban than most of westchester.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:34 PM

305 posts, read 1,895,217 times
Funny b/c when I told some of my NYC co-workers I lived in Yonkers (awhile back, I've since moved), they told me I lived "upstate".

Old 03-13-2008, 05:22 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,286 times
The funny part about all this "upstate" talk is when i lived in Syracuse it is considered central NY. Upstate is even further north.

But I can't really say anything. Before going to school up there I thought anything north of the Bronx was "upstate" too

Old 05-26-2008, 09:18 PM

178 posts, read 667,542 times
NYC has a certain mentality about upstate, it is funny. Westchester County being the closest suburb to NYC is not technically upstate. Just laugh, don't even try to argue.
All the best!

Kevin O'Shea

Old 05-26-2008, 09:40 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevrltr View Post
Westchester County being the closest suburb to NYC ...

Nassau County is just as close to the NYC border as is Westchester County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevrltr View Post
Westchester County ... is not technically upstate.

Westchester County, along with the 5 counties that are coterminous with each of NYC's 5 boroughs, and the 2 counties (Nassau and Suffolk) that make up the east three-quarters of Long Island are generally referred to as "downstate". Rockland County, Orange County and the south part of Putnam County are considered by some to also be part of "downstate".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County