Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 07:43 PM

15 posts, read 17,156 times

Advertisements

As many others have mentioned I think you have a totally reasonable and great idea in mind! The commute from Westchester to Bayside is not as bad as you may think. I don't think you will ever be very close to your 1 hour and 15 minute commute concern. Lower Westchester area sounds like a good fit for you. You will have the benefits for your children that suburbs provide (safe neighborhoods, space to play outside, good school systems ect.) plus the ease of commute for you to Bayside along with a short easy train ride to Grand Central. From a quick search of some listings you do have a wide range of options in 3-4 bedroom houses 2-3 baths for under your 20k tax mark that fits your stated price range in many different towns. Depending on the time of the year you plan to search prices will fluctuate but local markets are becoming slightly less of a sellers market as the summer comes to an end. I think your plan sounds great and you have a bright future ahead of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 10:36 PM

430 posts, read 557,489 times
Stay the course. Westchester is kind of like Long Island, except better in every way. Pay the toll. Drive the extra miles. It's true, it's still probably quicker than most of Nassau County.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,535 times
Thank you everyone on all the helpful input. We have decided that lower Westchester would be best, but of course we will be priced out of many towns. This is probably worthy of another thread, but does anyone have feedback on Valhalla or Mammoraneck?

Thanks so much in advance!

Old 08-22-2017, 03:00 PM

1,110 posts, read 983,740 times
Don't understand why you have to relocate from Bayside to Westchester. Why cannot you simply stay in Bayside to avoid all the hassel

Old 08-22-2017, 03:02 PM

you have to factor into the tolls on the bridge. It is more than 10 bucks a day

Old 08-22-2017, 03:03 PM

for LI, you don't need to pay the tolls, and also there are plenty of towns in LI that will be very close to Bayside without the need to use I-495, like Great Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
you have to factor into the tolls on the bridge. It is more than 10 bucks a day

Old 08-22-2017, 08:18 PM

195 posts, read 297,311 times
I live in Mount Pleasant (which Valhalla is part of) It's a great area, but it's about 30 minutes to the Bronx where I used to live and from there another 15 minutes or so to Bayside depending on if you need the Cross Island during the 8:30-9:30 hour. If 45 minutes is doable, Valhalla is great. You can always PM me for specifics.
Mamaroneck and Harrison will probably put you about 10-15 minutes closer, and are both great areas with great schools.

And I totally get not wanting to live on Long Island. I lived in Queens and Long Island half my life. I was so happy to get out of there and up to Westchester!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County