Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2017, 03:57 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times

Advertisements

I got this email from my ~4 year old daughter's preschool in northern Westchester:

"Dear [_ _ _],

New York State mandates that we collect data on lead test screening for children in our program. The State recommends that all children be tested for lead exposure every 12 months. If your child has had a lead test, the State requests you submit the results of that test to the school. If your child has not had a lead exposure test in the last 12 months the State recommends you seek advice from your medical professional about being tested for lead exposure.

Please find the attached information regarding lead exposure risks.

Regards

[school]"

They also attached a little pamphlet. Nothing in the pamphlet nor on the ny.gov website (https://ag.ny.gov/environmental/lead...l-age-children) says anything about having to give this information to my kids' school.

This seems creepy to me. The way I read the rule, kids are only required to be tested for lead once at 12 mos and again at 24 mos, and in both cases the results are automatically reported to the state. I see nothing about having to give it to a private preschool so that they can forward it on to the state.

My biggest issue is that their first sentence says "...mandates that we collect..." but then the fourth sentence says "... the State requests that you submit..." and the fifth says "... the State recommends..."

So it's a mandate, but if you've done it, it's only requested, and if you haven't done it, it's only recommended.

Anyone see things like this at their preschool? Anyone else find this creepy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 10:23 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
The school is mandated to collect it. You are not the school. You are not mandated to make your kid undergo the test - hence the state recommendations and requests.

Its very odd that you find it "creepy". That choice of word suggests sinister motives. Its the state - not an individual asking about your daughter. And lead testing was introduced for very good health reasons - and which disproportionately affect low income children. I think it says something about your own psychology to call it creepy.

You might decides its no-one's business if your daughter has hi or low lead levels. That's ok.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:39 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
The school is simply complying with state requirements and providing information for those who may not be aware of this potential danger. Don't assume everyone knows and there are more ways to be exposed then eating chipping paint. As the above poster clarified you are only being "requested" to submit the results if a test had been run.

Save your strength for the upcoming battle over mandatory inoculations before public school enrollment I'm sure you'll have concerns over that.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:06 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
This is probably due to the fact that I've spent the last couple years living across state lines into NJ where this is not a requirement, but it just seems so strange that a private preschool is required to collect the blood test results of the preschoolers they are watching a few hours per week.

I understand the requirement for immunization records because unimmunized children are a threat to others in the school, but the lead test stuff is weird to me. I can see why the state would require doctors to check for it and report it, and I can also understand why the state would want to test the water at the preschool for lead. However I see no link between a private glorified daycare and the content of my kid's blood (again, other than with respect to communicable diseases).

I guess it's just the accepted practice here in NY though based on the two responses thus far. I find a lot of what NY does to be very strange and overbearing after moving to a different state for a while. Surprising that NJ is the "small government" state compared to NY (if you've spent any time in or around NJ you'd understand why that is a funny statement).

Last edited by NYCresident2014; 09-26-2017 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: