Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 03:20 PM

95 posts, read 196,344 times

Advertisements

Looking for anyone who has moved from Westchester to CT (or vice versa):

We currently reside in Manhattan and looking at options outside of the city. Property taxes - especially in lower Westchester - are norotiously high (~$30k on a $1mm home in areas like Rye, Pelham, Dobbs, etc). While pricier from a sq foot perspective, comparable houses in Greenwich have significantly lower tax bills (~11k on a $1mm home).

All other things constant, is there really a ~3x premium to live across the NY border? Maybe the schools are better in Westchester, but it's not like Greenwich High is a dump. Just trying to make sense of the large disparity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 08:14 PM

131 posts, read 270,580 times
this might have some relevant info:

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...-ct-taxes.html

Old 01-24-2018, 07:31 AM

Thanks - that thread was very helpful.

Does anyone have any recent firsthand experience with this? There's just such a massive difference between the two that I feel like I am missing something (aside from a slightly longer commute).

Old 01-24-2018, 08:07 AM

You're not missing anything. It all comes down to your appetite for a longer commute..Pelham is 26 minutes to gct..Greenwich is 48-50..rye is 39-42..

I tried to convince spouse to move to ct but if you have two working parents it is difficult to juggle the commute.

Houses in CT, by and large, are in much better condition than Westchester homes at similar price points..

Old 01-24-2018, 08:08 AM

If you are in single earner household and money is an issue, I would see how Ct is much more appetizing..

Old 01-24-2018, 08:34 AM

Money isn't an issue on the margin, but the difference in monthly payment for a house in Pelham vs. Greenwich is ~$1,500 or more. It adds up over time since it's a safe bet that your taxes only move in one direction. There are also a fair amount of extra closing fees in NY (mansion tax, mortgage recording).

Totally agree on the condition of houses. I would say that ~50% of the properties we've seen in Westchester need immediate work. All of them have been over $1mm

Old 01-24-2018, 09:19 AM

Also, consider the reverse stigma of living in Greenwich..vs Pelham..greenwich, new canaan, Darien -- will be uppity, whereas Pelham, Dobbs more laid back and not full of egregious wealth.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltjbukem73 View Post
Also, consider the reverse stigma of living in Greenwich..vs Pelham..greenwich, new canaan, Darien -- will be uppity, whereas Pelham, Dobbs more laid back and not full of egregious wealth.
Was just about to ask this. Is Greenwich significantly more "stuffy"? We haven't spent much time there.

We've spent a fair amount of time in Pelham and really like it. The laid back feel is surprising given housing prices and taxes (especially in Pelham Manor). I would imagine most married couples with children have to be pulling in at least $500k/year

Old 01-25-2018, 07:46 AM

786 posts, read 824,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltjbukem73 View Post
And Westport

Side note, I don't understand why Pelham is considered to be such a great option. Its surrounded by New Rochelle and Mt. Vernon.

The HomeGoods shopping center in Pelham Manor is complete trash. I wouldn't park my car there for more than 20 min. I'd rather have Tarrytown's village, which is nicer.

I don't understand the fascination. Can someone explain?

Old 01-25-2018, 08:57 AM

973 posts, read 1,411,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
And Westport

Side note, I don't understand why Pelham is considered to be such a great option. Its surrounded by New Rochelle and Mt. Vernon.

The HomeGoods shopping center in Pelham Manor is complete trash. I wouldn't park my car there for more than 20 min. I'd rather have Tarrytown's village, which is nicer.

I don't understand the fascination. Can someone explain?
Pelham's allure is its commute, coupled with a safe, high-quality school district, and safe community. These aspects are not affected by a low-end strip mall, or the fact that their are some less-than-desirable neighborhoods nearby that exist in other communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County