Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 10:47 AM

60 posts, read 93,861 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are a bi-racial family of four, with an academically oriented son who loves soccer and is going into 11th grade and an arts oriented daughter heading into 8th grade. We are an academic family who cares a lot about progressive politics, quality education, diversity, the arts, good food, a real sense of community and access to outdoors. As I've mentioned in a few other posts about commute, we are likely moving to Westchester next school year.

Can folks who have the energy give me a deeper sense of White Plains? So much sounds great in terms of schools and diversity -- but I am having a hard time getting beneath the impression that it is mostly chain food restaurants, wide non-walking streets and an aging downtown that isn't particularly lively.

Am I totally inaccurate? Are there laid back, coffee-shop areas? Neighborhood restaurants or groceries?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 11:44 PM

Hoping somebody has some thoughts about this!

Old 08-29-2018, 08:31 AM

40 posts, read 69,527 times
I live in White Plains but my kids are much much younger than yours.

White Plains is obviously different than smaller Westchester towns. It's much bigger and much, much more diverse. You are not going to have the uniformly upscale feeling that you'll get in Pelham or Hastings. I'm not sure that means it lacks soul, though. There's lots and lots of town pride. People are immensely proud of being part of a diverse community. A lot of people like that it doesn't have what some people view as a pretentiously artsy vibe that you find in Hastings (i.e. Brooklyn north and all of that).

Personally I think the food overall in Westchester county is pretty mundane. That said, you're going to get much better options in WP than in Pelham. In Hastings you're close to the other River Towns, which have more options. WP will also give you lots of options for delivery--probably more than anywhere else in the county. It's also very close to Mamaroneck and Scarsdale, giving you access to everything going on in those towns.

The downtown isn't overly cutesy, no. But it has ever-improving food options (check out Lily's, Freebird, Lola's) as well as a movie theater, Target and other useful things. There are also other neighborhood pockets where you find a few things here and there--like Gedney Way, with Sam's and Emma's and Gillie Park, which is always hopping.

The high school has some amazing programming. People speak highly of the teaching (again, I can't give you personal perspective). But the scores also show wide gaps between races, and between high and low income. So you may want to look into that if you think that could be a concern for you.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:35 AM

In terms of WP neighborhoods, check out the Highlands if your price point is sub-$1M. Very very nice community there.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demographer View Post
I live in White Plains but my kids are much much younger than yours.

White Plains is obviously different than smaller Westchester towns. It's much bigger and much, much more diverse. You are not going to have the uniformly upscale feeling that you'll get in Pelham or Hastings. I'm not sure that means it lacks soul, though. There's lots and lots of town pride. People are immensely proud of being part of a diverse community. A lot of people like that it doesn't have what some people view as a pretentiously artsy vibe that you find in Hastings (i.e. Brooklyn north and all of that).

Personally I think the food overall in Westchester county is pretty mundane. That said, you're going to get much better options in WP than in Pelham. In Hastings you're close to the other River Towns, which have more options. WP will also give you lots of options for delivery--probably more than anywhere else in the county. It's also very close to Mamaroneck and Scarsdale, giving you access to everything going on in those towns.

The downtown isn't overly cutesy, no. But it has ever-improving food options (check out Lily's, Freebird, Lola's) as well as a movie theater, Target and other useful things. There are also other neighborhood pockets where you find a few things here and there--like Gedney Way, with Sam's and Emma's and Gillie Park, which is always hopping.

The high school has some amazing programming. People speak highly of the teaching (again, I can't give you personal perspective). But the scores also show wide gaps between races, and between high and low income. So you may want to look into that if you think that could be a concern for you.
Thank you so much for this really really helpful summary! Do you mind if I ask you some more questions?

1) is their an independent music culture in White Plains?
2) Are there many bookstores?
3) Do the neighborhoods have restaurants or coffee shops away from Diwntiwn?

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2018, 07:36 AM

If the arts are your No. 1 priority, White Plains is probably not your place. The River Towns are a good option, and maybe Mamaroneck, with the Emelin Theater and close access to the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester. White Plains has things like their annual Jazz Fest, and some of the Westchester County music and arts are based in WP since it's the county seat, but frankly they're not very good, in my opinion. For a real independent arts scene, you really need to look up county at places like Peekskill and Katonah. That kind of thing just doesn't happen as much down county, where you have huge concentrations of NYC commuters putting in long hours.

As for bookstores, outside of B&N, there aren't many around anywhere in the county anymore. You're talking about astronomical rents down county. Independent booksellers can't pay those kinds of rents.

Downtown has nice tea bar but I'm not sure about independent coffee shops. Most of the bars and restaurants are downtown, but not all. Once you get a bit south of downtown there's a nice stretch of Mamaroneck Ave, a little removed from the main scene, that has a bagel place, frozen yogurt, a great bakery, a Japanese grocery and one of the best sushi places around.

If you gave us a sense of budget we could also help you with what's realistic, since obviously that's a huge part of the puzzle and what you get for your money is very different in each of these towns. And, don't forget, Hastings is tiny, Pelham small, and WP really large by Westchester standards, so take that into consideration, too.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:06 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,962 times
I live in the Rye Neck section of Mamaroneck. My husband and I used to live in WP. While we did love living in WP (when we were single!) as we lived walking distance to restaurants, bars and shopping, we did not find it to be the place we wanted to settle down and raise our family. As the poster above mentioned, Mamaroneck may be a good fit for you. Its close to WP yet you are on the sound, very family oriented, my family frequents Emelin Theater, we have Aristree which is a performing arts center for kids of all ages that we take advantage of. Let me know if you have any questions!

Old 08-30-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demographer View Post
If the arts are your No. 1 priority, White Plains is probably not your place. The River Towns are a good option, and maybe Mamaroneck, with the Emelin Theater and close access to the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester. White Plains has things like their annual Jazz Fest, and some of the Westchester County music and arts are based in WP since it's the county seat, but frankly they're not very good, in my opinion. For a real independent arts scene, you really need to look up county at places like Peekskill and Katonah. That kind of thing just doesn't happen as much down county, where you have huge concentrations of NYC commuters putting in long hours.

As for bookstores, outside of B&N, there aren't many around anywhere in the county anymore. You're talking about astronomical rents down county. Independent booksellers can't pay those kinds of rents.

Downtown has nice tea bar but I'm not sure about independent coffee shops. Most of the bars and restaurants are downtown, but not all. Once you get a bit south of downtown there's a nice stretch of Mamaroneck Ave, a little removed from the main scene, that has a bagel place, frozen yogurt, a great bakery, a Japanese grocery and one of the best sushi places around.

If you gave us a sense of budget we could also help you with what's realistic, since obviously that's a huge part of the puzzle and what you get for your money is very different in each of these towns. And, don't forget, Hastings is tiny, Pelham small, and WP really large by Westchester standards, so take that into consideration, too.

This is all so helpful! I really appreciate all of this as J process it all!

Old 08-30-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I live in the Rye Neck section of Mamaroneck. My husband and I used to live in WP. While we did love living in WP (when we were single!) as we lived walking distance to restaurants, bars and shopping, we did not find it to be the place we wanted to settle down and raise our family. As the poster above mentioned, Mamaroneck may be a good fit for you. Its close to WP yet you are on the sound, very family oriented, my family frequents Emelin Theater, we have Aristree which is a performing arts center for kids of all ages that we take advantage of. Let me know if you have any questions!
I will definately check out Mamaroneck! Is it diverse? Politically liberal? We are a bi-racial family pretty engaged and angry about the current political situation ... 😳

Old 08-30-2018, 11:41 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeston View Post
I will definately check out Mamaroneck! Is it diverse? Politically liberal? We are a bi-racial family pretty engaged and angry about the current political situation ... 😳
Yes, it is diverse. Mamaroneck Avenue School (Mamaroneck School District) is probably the most diverse out of all the options.
I do know that the Mayor is liberal/democrat and I believe the current Trustees are as well. However, before this Mayor, the prior Mayor (Mayor for 8 years) was Republican (switched from Democrat just to run I believe as the Democratic seat was taken) and our village was run very well and actually moved up in rankings as best places to live. As for more than that, I really do not care how others feel politically. I will tell you that I have never really spoken politics with neighbors/friends and nobody I have met is in your face political either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County