Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 07:19 PM

10 posts, read 11,564 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Well the time has finally come and we are moving to White Plains in about 6 weeks. I have a daughter that will be going into the 2nd grade. The way I understand it, is that we theoretically have a 'choice' as to which school in WP that we'd like for her to attend but it's not necessarily guaranteed. So, I'm trying to come up with a list of top to bottom choices.

For the record, we are going to live closest to Post Road School. I was a bit put off by the very low rating it got on Great Schools, but I'm also aware that a number is really all that it is, and doesn't tell the full story.

I'd like somewhere with a strong PTA and generally high parent involvement. I feel like the bullying issue probably isn't too much of a thing right now, but we did experience a bit of this in our current school in TX.

Anyway, any insight would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 08:22 PM

354 posts, read 776,257 times
I recommend choosing ridgeway and mamaroneck Ave school as your first two choices. They're all pretty equal but these two I hear the most positive things about. Don't be scared by the numbers. The schools are great.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:23 AM

218 posts, read 606,000 times
I second that...don't sweat the numbers. I have a first grader in Mamaroneck Ave and couldn't imagine him doing much better elsewhere. I'ts going to be a personal choice, but some of the main differentiators are:
- Mamaroneck Ave has playground time when kids arrive before classes start and we thought that was a valuable outlet. Parking is also a bit of a nuisance.
- Church St starts earlier than the rest. I forget the exact time, but I want to say its like 730
- Post Rd and George Washington have Spanish immersion programs but I think you need to commit to the school before knowing if you get in to this program

Welcome to White Plains. For what it's worth, I think you made a great choice!

Old 06-07-2018, 09:36 AM

Oh yeah...and there is a rule where you don’t get busing if you’re less than a mile or so from the school (the district is able to tell you if your address qualifies for each school). So that could be a factor if managing a drop off messes up your morning routine. Check the distance to Mamorenck Ave too, as it’s sneakily close to some areas that are by Post Rd

Last edited by tommya; 06-07-2018 at 09:55 AM..

Old 06-07-2018, 11:57 AM

40 posts, read 69,628 times
Agree, both Ridgeway and MAS have great reputations. MAS probably takes the edge on spirit--it has an incredibly energetic PTA and really enthusiastic parent community. It is, I'd say, a touch warmer than Ridgeway.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:30 PM

10 posts, read 11,564 times
Thank you, all! This has been very helpful, much appreciated!!

Old 06-21-2018, 06:56 PM

107 posts, read 219,440 times
Could anyone comment on the quality of the Middle school in White Plains?

Old 10-09-2018, 07:41 AM

Great News 12 segment on MAS. If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

School Spirit Showdown: Mamaroneck Avenue School

Old 10-10-2018, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,113 times
I can also chime in my love and appreciation of White Plains schools. My third grader son goes to Post Rd and is doing great. The school is a nice new building with air conditioning and has fabulous teachers.
White Plains Middle is right next to me and my neighbors' children have nothing but positive things to say. The building itself looks like a castle. My older son went to White Plains High and was quite challenged by all the AP classes he took. White Plains puts a lot of money its schools and it shows. Once again, the numbers on Niche etc reflect diverse community rather than school quality

Old 10-10-2018, 02:40 PM

107 posts, read 219,440 times
Reading these forums and researching the heck out of white plains as a city, the schools, the amenities the people and the future development has helped make my decision as the best place to raise a family. We went under contract a few weeks ago and should be closing on our place sometime next month.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County