Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2020, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,392 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our late 30s, hoping to have kids soon. We are originally from Europe and both work in finance (midtown and financial district). Currently renting in Brooklyn.

We like in NYC but are interested in buying a home in lower Westchester so we could have a bit more space, garden, easier access to nature. We are cautious around the commute being manageable so focusing on towns with easy train ride. Our budget is $1-1.5m so the mortgage is manageable for us.

We are thinking about Pelham, Larchmont (by the water is a plus for us), Bronxville, Scarsdale and open to other ideas.

We have never used a buyer broker before so are new to this concept and would really appreciate any guidance:
Recommendations of buyer brokers that we should consider working with?
Do we work with 2+ brokers to cover multiple towns?
is it true that many properties trade "off market"?

Thanks for reading and all advice welcome.

Elaine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 01:44 PM

131 posts, read 270,425 times
similar situation - was in brooklyn, moved to scarsdale after looking in pelham, larchmont and bronxville.

we used nancy jones as buyer's broker. no need to use more than 1 broker. esp if the towns are close by, like the above are.

https://www.williampitt.com/agents/nancyjones/

Old 01-21-2020, 08:19 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine2020 View Post
My husband and I are in our late 30s, hoping to have kids soon. We are originally from Europe and both work in finance (midtown and financial district). Currently renting in Brooklyn.

We like in NYC but are interested in buying a home in lower Westchester so we could have a bit more space, garden, easier access to nature. We are cautious around the commute being manageable so focusing on towns with easy train ride. Our budget is $1-1.5m so the mortgage is manageable for us.

We are thinking about Pelham, Larchmont (by the water is a plus for us), Bronxville, Scarsdale and open to other ideas.

We have never used a buyer broker before so are new to this concept and would really appreciate any guidance:
Recommendations of buyer brokers that we should consider working with?
Do we work with 2+ brokers to cover multiple towns?
is it true that many properties trade "off market"?

Thanks for reading and all advice welcome.

Elaine.
A true buyers' agent is a real estate agent that does not do any listings, but only helps buyers find property. There are not too many of them. Some agents call themselves a buyers agent, but instead means they only show their own listings, or the listings of their brokerage. Be careful.

Tarrytown NY Real Estate Company | Tarrytown, NY Real Estate Broker | Buyer's Edge Realty, Inc.

The best buyers' agent I ever worked with is Gary Herbst of The Buyer's Edge in Tarrytown. He serves all of Westchester county and has a staff with decades of experience.

The above websiite has a lot of information fo ryou on using a true buyers' agent and I recommend you read it.

They are located at 104 South Broadway, Tarrytown, NY 10591. Phone 914-332-7100.

Old 01-21-2020, 03:50 PM

821 posts, read 774,554 times
In Westchester, most agents can show you houses all over Westchester, however, they usually specialize in a particular area of Westchester.

For example, our agent specialized in the Sound Shore (Harrison/Purchase, Rye, Rye Brook, Rye Neck, Larchmont/Mamaroneck). However, they also showed us houses in Scarsdale.

Since almost all listings that are sold through an agent are listed on MLS and then flow downstream to all the real estate sites, a buyer’s agent isn’t as important as they used to be. They were more useful pre-internet days.

We found our agent by going to a few open houses and they were the seller’s agent for one of the houses. We met a variety of agents that way, some I could tell were better than others at different t things.

My advice would be to meet a variety of agents and don’t sign the exclusivity agreement until you find one you really like.

If you want the name of my agent, feel free to PM me.

Old 01-24-2020, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,392 times
Thank you all very much for the advice and recommendations, really appreciate it!

Old 01-25-2020, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 591 times
Hi Elaine,

I have lived in Mamaroneck for almost 30 years and am actually an agent for Sotheby's in Larchmont. It would be my pleasure to answer any questions you have with the process/area, and would be more than happy to help with your home search. I actually just helped a family from Park Slope purchase their home in Mamaroneck.

Please contact me at 914-462-1949 or [email]lisa.almodovar@juliabfee.com[/email]. I look forward to hearing from you!

Kind regards,
Lisa Almodovar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County