Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 08:06 AM

201 posts, read 298,515 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am considering a relocation back to NYC (I have lived there before). I would only need to be in the NYC office 3 times per week, so we are looking at Beacon as a possible landing spot.

The job would initially be 100% remote until the NYC office re-opens. Because of the pandemic, I cannot find the "regular" metro north schedule anywhere. I believe there are 75-78 minute routes to and from Beacon from Grand Central. Can anyone confirm that and/or let me know when those occur?

Also, we have two small children (7 and 5) and would be attending Beacon schools. Any advice on that? Seems like the schools have improved greatly over the last few years.

Any advice on what part of town to live in? Would like to be walkable to Main Street, but not necessarily the train station given its location.

Any other input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 07:48 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthedream View Post
Hi,
I am considering a relocation back to NYC (I have lived there before). I would only need to be in the NYC office 3 times per week, so we are looking at Beacon as a possible landing spot.

The job would initially be 100% remote until the NYC office re-opens. Because of the pandemic, I cannot find the "regular" metro north schedule anywhere. I believe there are 75-78 minute routes to and from Beacon from Grand Central. Can anyone confirm that and/or let me know when those occur?

Also, we have two small children (7 and 5) and would be attending Beacon schools. Any advice on that? Seems like the schools have improved greatly over the last few years.

Any advice on what part of town to live in? Would like to be walkable to Main Street, but not necessarily the train station given its location.

Any other input would be greatly appreciated.
While I agree the City of Beacon and the school district (which is bigger than the city limits) have made strides, there is a long way to go. I would look at other locations for school aged children if you can. Pricing does not currently reflect the relatively low school ratings. But there are lovely properties and kids can do well at any school if they have the support at home. I would warn you about the drug problems in the high school, but I am at the point where I think those problems exist at every school district in the hudson valley. If you are looking at all things equally, I think you can get more bang for your buck in terms of property and school district elsewhere, but if you love the location, that is really all that matters. Its not like Beacon is horrible, it is not. But there are better places for value for the budget of most comparable Beacon homes. I would look around a bit more if you have time.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:52 AM

201 posts, read 298,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
While I agree the City of Beacon and the school district (which is bigger than the city limits) have made strides, there is a long way to go. I would look at other locations for school aged children if you can. Pricing does not currently reflect the relatively low school ratings. But there are lovely properties and kids can do well at any school if they have the support at home. I would warn you about the drug problems in the high school, but I am at the point where I think those problems exist at every school district in the hudson valley. If you are looking at all things equally, I think you can get more bang for your buck in terms of property and school district elsewhere, but if you love the location, that is really all that matters. Its not like Beacon is horrible, it is not. But there are better places for value for the budget of most comparable Beacon homes. I would look around a bit more if you have time.
Thanks. For a point of reference, I taught science in the Bronx for awhile. I am a firm believer that a student's success is as dependent on parent involvement as the school itself. I just want to make sure we are going somewhere safe and not like the City of Poughkeepsie School District. I like the idea of going somewhere on the upswing. There are a number of reasons Beacon makes sense for us, which I don't need to get into, but I am not looking for exceptional schools with 95% white kids. I think there is much more value in kids being in schools with a more diverse crowd.

Agreed that drug problems are an issue everywhere.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:03 AM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
I have friends who live across the river in Cornwall-on-the-Hudson and love it.

The schools are better than Beacon and its more upscale, but not expensive. It has a charming downtown too.

I love to visit Beacon for a walk and lunch, but it is very touristy. The crowds and traffic might get tiresome if you live there.

Old 05-29-2020, 01:16 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthedream View Post
Thanks. For a point of reference, I taught science in the Bronx for awhile. I am a firm believer that a student's success is as dependent on parent involvement as the school itself. I just want to make sure we are going somewhere safe and not like the City of Poughkeepsie School District. I like the idea of going somewhere on the upswing. There are a number of reasons Beacon makes sense for us, which I don't need to get into, but I am not looking for exceptional schools with 95% white kids. I think there is much more value in kids being in schools with a more diverse crowd.

Agreed that drug problems are an issue everywhere.
I agree with all you have said. Still, Beacon is overpriced. You can get more more, more land, in a higher ranked district. The schools are not at the level of Poughkeepsie, but I will be honest, most do not think of them as significantly better. Maybe just a little better. If you have done your research, I wish you the best. But I would consider elsewhere. You can just do better with your money and get better long term appreciation in value. But if it fits your family, that is all that matters.

Old 05-30-2020, 08:17 AM

581 posts, read 1,303,328 times
Since Beacon is overpriced for what it offers, which districts do you think offer a better price/quality value ?

Old 05-30-2020, 09:39 AM

830 posts, read 1,092,953 times
For a 3 day commute to the city I would 100% try and get a better commute than Beacon (and a more well regarded school district too).

Old 05-30-2020, 07:37 PM

I remember a dozen years ago when everyone said Beacon was going to be the next best thing since sliced bread. Prices have been increasing since so I think Beacon's upswing time has passed.

Beacon has a nice, but touristy, downtown. It also has a Fishkill Correctional Facility is a multi-security level prison. Across the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge is the most dangerous city in NY state - Newburgh.

Cornwall-on-the-Hudson and Cold Spring and Putnam County - like Mohegan Lake might be better.

Good Luck! It's such a hard decision!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...rate/40968963/

Old 05-31-2020, 08:38 AM

Carmel, NY has access to the Brewster Metro North train station.

This article is a decade old, but Carmel hasn't change much https://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/r...-defended.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Carmel-New-York.html

Just another idea for you

Old 06-01-2020, 11:26 AM

581 posts, read 1,303,328 times
I believe Carmel has a totally different culture than Westchester
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County