Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2020, 01:11 PM

4 posts, read 8,439 times

Advertisements

I'm a first time home buyer looking at White Plains. My wife and I have a son so school's are pretty important to us. I see some really beautiful, cozy, homes in North White Plains and want to learn as much as possible about these neighborhoods.
Are they friendly? Are they quiet? How's the traffic?
We're Hispanic. Are the people here racist?

Lastly, I can't seem to find information on what exactly is "North White Plains"?
For example, the area right under the Kensico Dam Plaza is listed as being in White Plains with a Valhalla school district. But I see the same exact area is also considered North White Plains and North Castle.
What's the relevance, if any, of all these classifications?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 01:31 PM

93,212 posts, read 123,819,554 times
It is a predominantly/pluralistically more black and middle class area that is within either the Greenburgh or Valhalla SD’s. Valhalla seems to have a better rep, but Greenburgh has been improving. Both are pretty diverse SD’s in terms of student population.

Some information: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000035358

https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000035507

https://www.city-data.com/forum/56870565-post222.html (Click on the census block group info and view the map to see if the home is in that area)

https://www.city-data.com/forum/57909563-post270.html

Hopefully others will chime in with more information.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-15-2020 at 01:41 PM..

Old 06-15-2020, 08:08 PM

166 posts, read 175,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDS335 View Post
I'm a first time home buyer looking at White Plains. My wife and I have a son so school's are pretty important to us. I see some really beautiful, cozy, homes in North White Plains and want to learn as much as possible about these neighborhoods.
Are they friendly? Are they quiet? How's the traffic?
We're Hispanic. Are the people here racist?

Lastly, I can't seem to find information on what exactly is "North White Plains"?
For example, the area right under the Kensico Dam Plaza is listed as being in White Plains with a Valhalla school district. But I see the same exact area is also considered North White Plains and North Castle.
What's the relevance, if any, of all these classifications?

Thanks in advance!

North White Plains is a part of the City of White Plains, located towards the northern part of the city (the section of town between the North White Plains Station (MTA) and Sir John's Plaza). a good majority of the residents are blue-collar/middle class with pockets of upper and lower. The city itself is very diverse when it comes to races, nationalities and ethnic groups. It's like most large cities in the Region in that there are really nice sections of town and some areas that are not so nice.

What section of NWP are you looking in? it's hard to give any guidance without knowing the neighborhood. Also are you interested in other towns such as Valhalla?

Old 06-15-2020, 09:44 PM

93,212 posts, read 123,819,554 times
There are parts of the city of White Plains near/where the North White Plains train station is located and those portions are middle class as well, OP.

Where the train station is located is barely within city limits and is where Valhalla, Greenburgh Central and White Plains meet.

Demographics of the parts of White Plains nearby are largely white and Hispanic(about 25%), with some black and Asian residents. So, this may come down to which part of the area you like.

Old 06-17-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is a predominantly/pluralistically more black and middle class area that is within either the Greenburgh or Valhalla SD’s. Valhalla seems to have a better rep, but Greenburgh has been improving. Both are pretty diverse SD’s in terms of student population.

Some information: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000035358

https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000035507

https://www.city-data.com/forum/56870565-post222.html (Click on the census block group info and view the map to see if the home is in that area)

https://www.city-data.com/forum/57909563-post270.html

Hopefully others will chime in with more information.
A lot of great info here. Thank you so much!

Old 06-17-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike fecke View Post
North White Plains is a part of the City of White Plains, located towards the northern part of the city (the section of town between the North White Plains Station (MTA) and Sir John's Plaza). a good majority of the residents are blue-collar/middle class with pockets of upper and lower. The city itself is very diverse when it comes to races, nationalities and ethnic groups. It's like most large cities in the Region in that there are really nice sections of town and some areas that are not so nice.

What section of NWP are you looking in? it's hard to give any guidance without knowing the neighborhood. Also are you interested in other towns such as Valhalla?

I'm actually looking right at the section you mentioned. Right above the NWP train station off of Virginia Rd. I have to commute into the city for work. My wife prefers walking over driving. This area caught our interest because it's in the Valhalla SD and it's walkable to many shopping areas. Valhalla seems nice, but there's not much there under 550K.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:26 PM

75 posts, read 108,067 times
I have worked in the library in North White Plains and, for what it's worth, the patrons who live in North White are the nicest, most down-to-earth people I have encountered in the Westchester Library System. They are ,unpretentious and good people. This, I admit, is limited contact, but I LOVE North White from my experience.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:10 AM

166 posts, read 175,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDS335 View Post
I'm actually looking right at the section you mentioned. Right above the NWP train station off of Virginia Rd. I have to commute into the city for work. My wife prefers walking over driving. This area caught our interest because it's in the Valhalla SD and it's walkable to many shopping areas. Valhalla seems nice, but there's not much there under 550K.

Valhalla is a very small tight-knit community. The town itself has only about 3,000 residents so that is why you are seeing such a limited selection.

Just to put it in perspective for you, White Plains has about 60,000 residents and Greenburgh has even more.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaHeron View Post
I have worked in the library in North White Plains and, for what it's worth, the patrons who live in North White are the nicest, most down-to-earth people I have encountered in the Westchester Library System. They are ,unpretentious and good people. This, I admit, is limited contact, but I LOVE North White from my experience.
We love visiting our local libraries. Your input is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Old 06-26-2020, 09:43 PM

126 posts, read 66,146 times
North White Plains, despite its name, is actually NOT part of White Plains. It's hamlet within the Town of North Castle. Along with Armonk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: