Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2020, 03:50 PM

11 posts, read 8,200 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are closing on a valley cottage home tomorrow and we had some questions on how to go about the utilities. We will be first time home owners so we dont know how this goes. I was going to try to set up the utilities to start on 7/14 (day after closing) last week but our attorney advised us to wait until the day of closing to avoid paying for this if by any chance the closing is delayed. Can we just call Suez water and Orange and Rockland tomorrow and be able to do that? I noticed today i cant do it online for orange and rockland because it only allows you to start service three days later so now im concerned.

also how does the trash/recycling pickup work? my sister in law recently moved to pearl river and found out she had to pay an additional service for trash pick up? is that the case with valley cottage as well? I am having a hard time finding information on this online.

Any advice for closing day we have our walk through an hour before closing and we are very excited for tomorrow. Any advice for living in Valley Cottage Rockland County? we are coming from yonkers so not too far away but looking forward to this new journey and living on the other side of the hudson.

Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 05:35 PM

166 posts, read 175,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLD1016 View Post
Hi All,

We are closing on a valley cottage home tomorrow and we had some questions on how to go about the utilities. We will be first time home owners so we dont know how this goes. I was going to try to set up the utilities to start on 7/14 (day after closing) last week but our attorney advised us to wait until the day of closing to avoid paying for this if by any chance the closing is delayed. Can we just call Suez water and Orange and Rockland tomorrow and be able to do that? I noticed today i cant do it online for orange and rockland because it only allows you to start service three days later so now im concerned.

also how does the trash/recycling pickup work? my sister in law recently moved to pearl river and found out she had to pay an additional service for trash pick up? is that the case with valley cottage as well? I am having a hard time finding information on this online.

Any advice for closing day we have our walk through an hour before closing and we are very excited for tomorrow. Any advice for living in Valley Cottage Rockland County? we are coming from yonkers so not too far away but looking forward to this new journey and living on the other side of the hudson.

Thank you!

Did you already notify the utility companies of your intended move-in date? in not, you'll want to call first thing in the morning. I believe it usually takes 24-48 hours on the short end.

As for trash/recycling, your RE agent should have communicated this to you already. If they have haven't, have them reach out to the sellers agent for this information.

Old 07-15-2020, 04:09 PM

973 posts, read 1,411,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLD1016 View Post
Hi All,

Thank you!
There is no Valley Cottage government, just like there is no Pearl River government. You will be living in the Town of Clarkstown, so you need to contact them for information on garbage pickup. In any event, these are questions to ask at the closing - most likely everyone there will know the specifics and give you the information you need.

Where your sister-in-law lives, in unincorporated Orangetown, private garbage haulers are approved by the Town and assigned routes. The town sets the rate they can charge, and each home owner pays the rate directly to the hauler. This also includes monthly bulk pickup. You don't have to pay this, but if you don't than no one picks up your garbage. Recycles is done separately and their is no out of pocket for this on the part of the home owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County