Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 06:18 AM

7 posts, read 4,784 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am going to relocate to downtown Yonkers to take a new job soon. I am trying to find an apartment to live just for myself now. The apartment searching can only give the apartment information, not much about the surroundings that I would like to have. I would like to have a place:

• No more than 30 minutes commuting. I don’t want to waste my time sitting in a car fighting for traffic.

• This important to me. Must has nice street sidewalks or near a park with trails. I have been living in places where there are good street sidewalks or they are nearby parks with trails so I could do jogging/running outside. I like to jog very early morning before going to work.

• I like outdoor activities. This area is surrounded by water. One hour driving you can get into the mountains. It seems that I won’t miss the outdoor stuff.

What about the other things that I have to be aware of? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 09:44 AM

91 posts, read 123,419 times
Less than 30 minute drive to Yonkers downtown at rush hour is going to limit your options significantly. Hastings or Dobbs Ferry tick all the options pretty well and driving down Warburton or Broadway is a lot more relaxing than the Saw Mill or Cross County. Tarrytown is probably a little over half an hour driving, but also has a nice amount of greenspace and gets you past the lower westchester traffic for heading out on the weekends.

Bronxville is lacking in parks, but has nice sidewalks. Riverdale in the Bronx has a lot of park space as do Fordham near the university or the area around Van Cortlandt Park. Crestwood (Eastchester) near twin lakes is an ok option.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwch View Post
Less than 30 minute drive to Yonkers downtown at rush hour is going to limit your options significantly. Hastings or Dobbs Ferry tick all the options pretty well and driving down Warburton or Broadway is a lot more relaxing than the Saw Mill or Cross County. Tarrytown is probably a little over half an hour driving, but also has a nice amount of greenspace and gets you past the lower westchester traffic for heading out on the weekends.

Bronxville is lacking in parks, but has nice sidewalks. Riverdale in the Bronx has a lot of park space as do Fordham near the university or the area around Van Cortlandt Park. Crestwood (Eastchester) near twin lakes is an ok option.
Hi, rwch,

Thanks. Really appreciate the information you provided. I will check the places you mentioned. It hard to find a place to meet all the desirable criteria, but have to choose one to balance it out.

Now it seems that all the apartments are closed to apartment tour; only the 3D online virtual tour is available. That makes it difficult to choose an apartment I like.

The good thing is that Westchester is a great area where you can enjoy plenty of history, culture, and parks nearby. It seems that there are some nice beaches too. These mentioned are also important factors to have a good living.

Old 07-24-2020, 01:32 PM

57 posts, read 46,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerK View Post
Hi,

I am going to relocate to downtown Yonkers to take a new job soon. I am trying to find an apartment to live just for myself now. The apartment searching can only give the apartment information, not much about the surroundings that I would like to have. I would like to have a place:

• No more than 30 minutes commuting. I don’t want to waste my time sitting in a car fighting for traffic.

• This important to me. Must has nice street sidewalks or near a park with trails. I have been living in places where there are good street sidewalks or they are nearby parks with trails so I could do jogging/running outside. I like to jog very early morning before going to work.

• I like outdoor activities. This area is surrounded by water. One hour driving you can get into the mountains. It seems that I won’t miss the outdoor stuff.

What about the other things that I have to be aware of? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
Without a doubt, wherever you choose to reside within 30 minutes of Yonkers, you will have prime access to nature, whether it be on the east side of the Hudson due north in Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess counties and beyond, due east in all that New England has to offer, and of course on the west side of the Hudson due north in Rockland, Orange, Sullivan, Ulster counties, etc..., or due west/south to New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Wonderful woods, hills, mountains, and lakes can be found in any and all of those places. And don't forget Long Island, perhaps a little bit more difficult to get to, but once you're past the East River bridge crossings it's all there with its world class beaches on its South Shore and hilly, verdant, bluffs on its North Shore. Welcome to the region!

Now, as for a place to settle, you certainly could find some nice apartments in Yonkers proper; it seems that there are some newer developments along the Hudson River that might be interesting. I'd recommend any of the River Towns from there on up too if you'd prefer a less densely populated area than Yonkers, from Hastings, to Dobbs, to Irvington, up to Tarrytown. You might find Tarrytown very intriguing, as the Mario M. Cuomo/Tappan Zee Bridge recently opened a pedestrian trail that connects Tarrytown in Westchester to Nyack in Rockland on the opposite side of the Hudson River. Both Tarrytown and Nyack are very walkable, with vibrant downtown areas. Budget will be factor, as apartments can get pricey very fast, especially in newer, "luxury" complexes, but if you are open to older buildings or renting in multi-family homes, you could probably find something suitable in a variety of spots.

As an outdoor enthusiast, regardless of where you decide to live in Westchester, I'd take a look at this Trailway map: https://parks.westchestergov.com/trailways

I've heard good things about the North County and South County Trailways, and many of them run through or near towns within 30 minutes of Yonkers, and in fact, some even start in Yonkers proper.

Also, here's some info on the pedestrian path that opened across the Mario M. Cuomo/Tappan Zee Bridge: https://mariomcuomobridge.ny.gov/explore-bridge-path

Old 07-24-2020, 02:32 PM

34,076 posts, read 47,269,417 times
I would say Yonkers itself, or Riverdale, Bronx

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-27-2020, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CogentChas View Post
Without a doubt, wherever you choose to reside within 30 minutes of Yonkers, you will have prime access to nature, whether it be on the east side of the Hudson due north in Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess counties and beyond, due east in all that New England has to offer, and of course on the west side of the Hudson due north in Rockland, Orange, Sullivan, Ulster counties, etc..., or due west/south to New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Wonderful woods, hills, mountains, and lakes can be found in any and all of those places. And don't forget Long Island, perhaps a little bit more difficult to get to, but once you're past the East River bridge crossings it's all there with its world class beaches on its South Shore and hilly, verdant, bluffs on its North Shore. Welcome to the region!

Now, as for a place to settle, you certainly could find some nice apartments in Yonkers proper; it seems that there are some newer developments along the Hudson River that might be interesting. I'd recommend any of the River Towns from there on up too if you'd prefer a less densely populated area than Yonkers, from Hastings, to Dobbs, to Irvington, up to Tarrytown. You might find Tarrytown very intriguing, as the Mario M. Cuomo/Tappan Zee Bridge recently opened a pedestrian trail that connects Tarrytown in Westchester to Nyack in Rockland on the opposite side of the Hudson River. Both Tarrytown and Nyack are very walkable, with vibrant downtown areas. Budget will be factor, as apartments can get pricey very fast, especially in newer, "luxury" complexes, but if you are open to older buildings or renting in multi-family homes, you could probably find something suitable in a variety of spots.

As an outdoor enthusiast, regardless of where you decide to live in Westchester, I'd take a look at this Trailway map: https://parks.westchestergov.com/trailways

I've heard good things about the North County and South County Trailways, and many of them run through or near towns within 30 minutes of Yonkers, and in fact, some even start in Yonkers proper.

Also, here's some info on the pedestrian path that opened across the Mario M. Cuomo/Tappan Zee Bridge: https://mariomcuomobridge.ny.gov/explore-bridge-path
CogentChas, thanks. Very useful information. I did not realize that Governor Mario Cuomo bridge is such a beautifully designed bridge. If living at a place not far from it, it is awesome to jog crossing the bridge in a 3 mile of span. Hope the design of the bridge won't create noise caused by the crossing bridge traffic. Even if not living nearby, I will definitely use weekends to use it.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I would say Yonkers itself, or Riverdale, Bronx
Yes, I will explore all the options. Google Earth is very useful to look at the surroundings.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:18 AM

12 posts, read 21,436 times
I live very close to the bronx river park trail, and go running every morning too. I'd recomend looking along that trail or the Croton Aqueduct trail (nicer I think but goes through more populated streets/areas) or in the Park hill section where they are building the Yonkers Greenway to connect to Van Cortlandt Park (another great running park). These are all ones I've tried out but there are certainly more options out there.

Old 07-28-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpb04003 View Post
I live very close to the bronx river park trail, and go running every morning too. I'd recomend looking along that trail or the Croton Aqueduct trail (nicer I think but goes through more populated streets/areas) or in the Park hill section where they are building the Yonkers Greenway to connect to Van Cortlandt Park (another great running park). These are all ones I've tried out but there are certainly more options out there.
Thanks. They are real nice trails. Croton Aqueduct trail runs through the woods of Tibbetts Brook Park. Perfect for jogging/running.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:15 PM

91 posts, read 123,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerK View Post
Thanks. They are real nice trails. Croton Aqueduct trail runs through the woods of Tibbetts Brook Park. Perfect for jogging/running.
The old croton aqueduct trail (unpaved) runs through downtown yonkers roughly around warburton and a little up the hill. It's a little bit rocky/rooty, but is nice to jog on if there hasn't been recent rain. Heading north you can get just short of the Tappan Zee Bridge before you have to go along a few roads (and subsequently all the way to the Croton Dam, but I haven't travelled all of the northern section).

The south county trail (former new york and putnam railroad right of way) runs through tibbets south to van cortland and north to elmsford and is paved most of the way. It's also good jogging, but you'll have to do a bit of dodging of walkers and cyclists at busy times. Getting from near the river over to the south county unfortunately isn't the nicest as almost all of the east west through streets are busy and narrow.

If you're up for a long run you can go south through van cortland park, the botanical garden, and along the pelham parkway over to Pelham bay and City Island. Or head north on the south county and connect up with the north county, tarrytown lakes trails, and rockefeller preserve. Lots of interesting little routes around here if you explore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County