Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2020, 12:50 PM

57 posts, read 46,675 times

Advertisements

Title says it all. Does anybody have any experience living in, or know somebody who lives in Westchester County, let’s say lower Westchester, and commutes to a job on Long Island, let’s say central Nassau County? If so, what town in lower Westchester are/were you/they living in?

I know that any commute coming from lower Westchester to Long Island has its inherent challenges/drawbacks including the daily Throgs Neck/Whitestone toll of $6.12 and likely rising as I type, parkway/expressway bottlenecks, congestion, and chronic/pop-up traffic jams, however, through a subjective cost-benefit analysis lens, I can see the scales tipping towards making such a Monday-Friday journey worth it. For me, despite working on Long Island, the potential of living in a lower Westchester town means no longer being bound by perpetually clogged East/West roads and bridges/ferries as a means of getting off of Long Island. Living in lower Westchester also provides easier access to points north, west, and even south to a certain extent, and by extension, easier access to nature in the forms of mountains, rivers, lakes, etc... Many people who commute to Nassau County for work happen to live in Suffolk County, often with commutes of upwards of 45 minutes. At the same time, living in lower Westchester is likely to be more costly in terms of owning a single family house, with a likely higher average cost in terms of price and taxes than a comparable home in Nassau, and especially Suffolk County. There are seemingly many pros and cons, but I feel hearing from someone with knowledge/experience on the matter will help shed further light.

I guess the core of my post here is, assuming there is no option of working in Westerchester, is living in Lower Westchester and commuting to Long Island worth it, at the end of the day? All feedback is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by CogentChas; 07-08-2020 at 01:13 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 02:42 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,233 times
Yikes. That's 45-60 minutes without traffic at the very least. Sounds awful. You could be looking at 2 hours each way plus the toll......you wouldn't ever get to enjoy living in Westchester.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Yikes. That's 45-60 minutes without traffic at the very least. Sounds awful. You could be looking at 2 hours each way plus the toll......you wouldn't ever get to enjoy living in Westchester.
Taking a quick look at Google Maps, the closest possible town in Westchester to Long Island would probably be Pelham, and without traffic, Google actually says that would be about 40 minutes. With traffic, I can see that being easily 45-60 minutes, if not more, like you noted. But on the flip side, as I mentioned in my original post, I know of several people that live out in Suffolk County and have a commutes of anywhere from 30 minutes to well over an hour with traffic on LIE or parkways. It appears the bridges are the X factor for many as to why someone working in central Nassau County would be more likely to venture out into Suffolk County for housing, as opposed to lower Westchester Country. I am curious if there’s any precedent for people who have done it.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:26 AM

What town in Long Island do you need to commute to?

Old 07-09-2020, 11:23 AM

Hempstead.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:48 PM

Then 45 minutes is about accurate as a no-traffic time. I grew up in Throggs Neck (in the Bronx), and a friend grew up in Hempstead so I'm familiar with the drive. It's 30 min at the fastest from my mom's to Hempstead. It's 15 min from my mom's to Pelham, and they're in a direct line.

With traffic, you're looking at far longer. Not only on the parkways (most direct route would be Hutch to Whitestone to Cross Island to either Southern or Northern State depending on where exactly you need to go).

Old 07-10-2020, 06:42 PM

42 posts, read 36,899 times
My husband commuted from minneola to tarrytown for almost 3 years
Honestly it’s not worth it
I know this is not exactly what you are asking. But I think distance wise almost same...

Old 07-10-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Then 45 minutes is about accurate as a no-traffic time. I grew up in Throggs Neck (in the Bronx), and a friend grew up in Hempstead so I'm familiar with the drive. It's 30 min at the fastest from my mom's to Hempstead. It's 15 min from my mom's to Pelham, and they're in a direct line.

With traffic, you're looking at far longer. Not only on the parkways (most direct route would be Hutch to Whitestone to Cross Island to either Southern or Northern State depending on where exactly you need to go).
Sounds about right. I feel like if the door to door can be let’s say 40-45 without traffic, and up to an 1 hour and 10 or 15 minutes, it could get tiresome, but possibly worth it, especially when you look at those who justify commutes of similar lengths living further out east in Suffolk County. Bottom line is though the Westchester to Long Island is not an easy commute, no matter how you look at it. You’re definitely making sacrifices, especially if its a long term commitment.

Old 07-10-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm777 View Post
My husband commuted from minneola to tarrytown for almost 3 years
Honestly it’s not worth it
I know this is not exactly what you are asking. But I think distance wise almost same...
Thank you for sharing, I would like to hear more examples of people who have done it or are currently doing it to get a better idea of its realities. Tarrytown is definitely a little further north than I would consider residing for such a commute, but it pretty close to the mark. If I did it, I probably wouldn’t go north of Hastings/Dobbs/Ardsley/Hartsdale. The Sound Shore towns might provide shorter commutes to Long Island it appears too.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:49 AM

18 posts, read 33,833 times
Hi, I know you're looking for feedback from people who have experience, but I just wanted to share one thought. Commuting from Suffolk to Nassau, even if it takes 45 minutes due to a clogged LIE, is likely far easier mentally than commuting from Westchester to LI. You basically know what your commute is every day. Whereas when you're coming all the way from Pelham (or wherever) to LI, just knowing that there are several different hotspots where you can hit traffic backups is draining. You never know if your commute is going to be 50 minutes or 90 minutes. That is brutal in and of itself. And of course, traffic is almost definitely going to be even more horrible than it normally is due to people avoiding mass transit.

I mean, unless your a real nature lover that needs to go hiking on both weekend days every day, it doesn't seem like the trade off is worth it. Maybe there's a ferry from CT that might be doable?

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County