Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2021, 07:54 PM

16 posts, read 17,566 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Our family of 4 which includes a 5 year old and a 1 year old, are planning to buy property in the next few months in either Cortlandt Manor or Stamford, CT. We narrowed our search to these two towns for the following reasons:

1. Proximity to NYC since husband will commute to Bronx everyday, and I will need to take Metro North for at least twice a week to work.

2. These two towns are more affordable when compared to other towns in Westchester or CT

While we love the two towns, Stamford seems to interest us more (it’s just a vibe thing). Nevertheless, I
keep hearing that the Stamford public schools do not perform well. And while we are not looking for a town with top rated schools, we do aim to get our two boys into “very decent schools” with adequate resources. Since it seems that Cortlandt public schools perform better (Lakeland, specifically, due to the foreseeable tax issue with the Henry Hudson schools) with we may be more inclined to opt for moving into Cortlandt.

We don’t want to be too superficial when selecting our town; we do want to opt for what is best. Are we overlooking other things?

Thanks in advance!

I will be posting this in the CT forum as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 09:12 PM

389 posts, read 399,540 times
With all due respect to Cortland, Stamford has a lot more to offer in their town. A lot of business prosper in Fairfield County. You could find a department store for almost anything in Stamford. Cortland is more rural and will you will definitely get more land. Obviously you can get acres in Stamford but that will be west of the Meritt Parkway and not walkable to downtown.

The commute to NYC is probably less from Stamford, but be sure to check with trains are local and express as this will certainly affect travel time. If you like to visit other towns in that area during your free time, this place is ideal for you. You can travel faster on 95 as opposed to Route 9.

Another thing to consider is where in the Bronx does your husband go, and is it by train. Understand that the New Haven line does not have the same stops as the Hudson Line, which serves Cortland. Some spots in the Bronx are connected to Metro North, but check the specifics for more information.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:08 PM

16 posts, read 17,566 times
Thanks so much for your feedback! If it was not because of the reputation of the Stamford schools, we would opt for CT with closed eyes! By the way, my husband will be driving to the Bronx.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:32 AM

180 posts, read 214,702 times
Interesting choices to be cross-shopping

There is more to do in downtown Stamford, but don't sleep on Peekskill. Easy evening-out destination from any part of Cortlandt. It's smaller and still building itself up, but it has great potential and river town charm.

Metro North will be a wash- Croton-on-Harmon to GCT versus Stamford to GCT nearly identical travel times. Getting into the city by car will probably be easier from Cortlandt. 95 and Merritt/Hutch are a **** show during peak hours. Taconic and 9 are not exactly a pleasure cruise but they move along better.

You also don't specify what part of Stamford you're looking in. If you really had your heart set on something right in the city area, I would say to pursue that. All of Northern Westchester is pretty sleepy relative to the sound towns. But if you're looking for open space/quiet/nature (ie North Stamford area), I'd push you toward Cortlandt due to easier commute and better schools.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:18 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,919 times
With all due respect to Stamford, I think Cortlandt has FAR more to offer, having lived in both (CT a long time ago, but still have dear friends there and we visit often). If a large bustling downtown is what you want, Stamford is bigger. But as another said Cortlandt has peekskill. Cortlandt is essentially a reverse letter C with the Hudson river on the open end and the center being Peekskill. Peekskill, like all areas, has been hit by Covid. But it is slowly returning. Pre-covid, Peekskill had an active restaurant row with 5 or 6 great restaurants, a few more pubs, and local classics like a tea room, an artsy coffee house, the bean runner cafe (which is quintessential Peekskill), waterfront music, festivals, and movies, and downtown festivals. Lower Cortlandt which has an amazing waterfront itself has its own concerts, films, and festivals. If you have young ones, the town family fun day is an annual event where the town does it up.

I agree that Metro North would be a wash, but driving to the city is SO much better on the Taconic than on 95. Maybe 15 - 20 minutes each way better. I also agree that if you want a downtown urban experience, so with Stamford. But if outdoors are your thing; like hiking, kayaking, climbing, rowing, trap shooting and much more, no matter where you are in Cortlandt, its in your town.

Lakeland is amazing. My kids are HS and middle school students. The Town has one of the most awarded recreation departments in the county for both kids and adults. Lots of great arts, music, and activities programs, an amazing summer camp for young ones with transportation to and from. A great youth recreational sports program. There is also a private sports organization called Shrub Oak athletic club which has more sports opportunity for youth. As they age, the town has after school programs and the school have in house after school and before school programs. Lots of private day care options with bus pick up and drop off too. For adults there are great art, music, physical activities. The town pool is great, with mini golf and a trail with fitness equipment there. The Town Center has lots of shopping, two supermarkets, home depot, walmart, and lots of small shops. Plus smaller indie shops around town (the Irish shop is one of my favorites, and a mexican bakery in Peekskill i visit a lot). If you have specific questions, feel free to ask me. Otherwise, I wish you the best in your choice. I know how difficult it can be to make these decisions.

Overall I admit my bias as I have been in Cortlandt/Lakeland for 20+ years, but I love the north county

Old 03-10-2021, 10:19 AM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post

I agree that Metro North would be a wash, but driving to the city is SO much better on the Taconic than on 95. Maybe 15 - 20 minutes each way better.

95 is always a nightmare.

I love the farm market at John Jay Homestead and Caramoor Center of Music and Arts (Bedford). Mount Kisco has a real French bakery L'Anjou Patisserie Francaise. It's not Cortland, but it's pretty close.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:57 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
95 is always a nightmare.

Mount Kisco has a real French bakery L'Anjou Patisserie Francaise. It's not Cortland, but it's pretty close.
OMG, everyone should visit here. It is amazing. The bread, the chocolate croissants, the macaroons, and much more, are amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County