Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2022, 11:07 AM

611 posts, read 1,458,462 times

Advertisements

Let me start by apologizing to anyone who's offered this advice thousands of times before—I did a cursory search and couldn't find what I was looking for, and I'm trying to fit this into a busy day.

Long story short, my mom (bless her heart!) booked flights to New York a couple months back, and somehow she selected HPN as our destination instead of LGA. This kind of thing has happened before, so it's never a huge surprise and we always shrug it off with a laugh.

That being said, I'm curious if you all can advise me about the best/quickest way to make it to Manhattan from HPN. From what I've seen, it's going to be a combo of bus and train rides, but as someone who's never gone into the city this way, I'd love any insight you all can provide! We'll be landing at HPN on Wednesday around 11 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 02:17 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,149,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
Let me start by apologizing to anyone who's offered this advice thousands of times before—I did a cursory search and couldn't find what I was looking for, and I'm trying to fit this into a busy day.

Long story short, my mom (bless her heart!) booked flights to New York a couple months back, and somehow she selected HPN as our destination instead of LGA. This kind of thing has happened before, so it's never a huge surprise and we always shrug it off with a laugh.

That being said, I'm curious if you all can advise me about the best/quickest way to make it to Manhattan from HPN. From what I've seen, it's going to be a combo of bus and train rides, but as someone who's never gone into the city this way, I'd love any insight you all can provide! We'll be landing at HPN on Wednesday around 11 AM.
The most cost effective is to take a taxi or uber to the White Plains Metro North station, then take the train down to the city. The train is fast and cheap. You can bus to the train station too, but its a much longer trip. Its the 12 train from the airport to the White Plains station.

Old 10-03-2022, 02:23 PM

169 posts, read 168,705 times
The cheapest is Bee-Line bus to White Plains station and then Metro-North to Grand Central and the get a taxi, Uber, or subway from there to your final destination. A likely faster, though more expensive way is to hire a taxi, limo, or Uber and have them take you to your exact location in the city.

Old 10-04-2022, 11:45 PM

389 posts, read 398,886 times
You could take the train from Port Chester to your destination. Port Chester is down the road from HPN, and I don’t think a local taxi would have any problem taking you the 10 minutes it takes to get there. Port Chester is on New Haven Line, which goes to NYC after about 5 local stops.

Old 10-10-2022, 09:35 PM

74 posts, read 80,876 times
You should look at cab rates directly into Manhattan- they may be cheaper than you think.

Uber estimator at uber.com shows from HPN to Manhattan- $42 to Upper Manhattan (Dyckman Street), $76 to Midtown (West 57th Street) and $60 to Lower Manhattan (Wall Street).

All the connections you would have to make trying to take the Metro North and either buses or cabs in Westchester and then possibly the subway or another cab once you get into Manhattan- just doesn't make it worth it to ultimately probably save $20.

The Metro North tickets alone are $22-$28 for 2 people depending on time of day, and I can't see the taxi in Westchester being less than $20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County