Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 04:58 PM

12 posts, read 11,588 times

Advertisements

Hi we are looking to buy a house, If we can afford North Westchester we will move there but in all honestly our budget is more toward Rockland county for the space we need and budget we have.

We used to live in Scarsdale Westchester, no longer wish to pay the high taxes however need to stay in the state of NY (autism services for my son are not great in NJ)

Looking at Clarkstown central school district and Suffern School district as they seem highly rated.

We are orniginally european.

We have lived in highly jewish areas before and blended in well though we are not jewish but that was NOT an orthodox community.

Could you advice please what a good school district would be for us?
My girls are super smart high achieving academically, the younger one super athletic too.

I don't think we would fit in well in a very orthodox jewish community. So not sure which those would be in Rockland county?

So far Clarkstown district with New City etc are looking good.
Can someone else shed some more light on Suffern and other distrits in rockland.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2022, 11:23 AM

85 posts, read 57,058 times
I dont know if the barely lower taxes are worth the switch to the other side of the pond. I always felt resale value and ease of commute were a welcome trade off with the slightly higher taxes in westchester. You may find some brutally lower prices in the no so distant future in Rockland as people find they need to go to office. That would be better than a few thousand a year in taxes saved.

Old 12-24-2022, 12:20 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Pearl River, Nanuet, Nyack and Orangeburg are worth looking into as well.

Old 12-24-2022, 12:25 PM

307 posts, read 636,802 times
My advice is do anything you can to stay in northern westchester.

Old 12-25-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
Thank you!!
We are not in north westchester but that would be our other option for sure....
I had that feeling from the get go but though maybe i am exaggerating.

Old 12-26-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandermonium View Post
I dont know if the barely lower taxes are worth the switch to the other side of the pond. I always felt resale value and ease of commute were a welcome trade off with the slightly higher taxes in westchester. You may find some brutally lower prices in the no so distant future in Rockland as people find they need to go to office. That would be better than a few thousand a year in taxes saved.
Hi
So I suppose northern westchester is really broad.
Taxes on the houses are are looking at we can't even afford Chappaqua, Briarcliff or Armonk...literally 38 k and above for taxes on a house around. 1.4-1.5
We are looking at katonah and lewisborow it is honestly the only district we can afford the taxes in.
If no house comes on the market though in our price range then we can't afford any of the other westchester towns...maybe Yorktown, but not sure if that district is better than andy of the rockland ones we are looking in to

Old 12-26-2022, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
Would you mind inboxing me some reasons.
I know you are right its just that outside of Lewisboro and Katona district we cant afford any of the taxes or homes in northern westchester, mabye Yorktown...but Yorktown be worse then Clarkstown school district in Rockland?
THnks

Old 12-26-2022, 06:16 PM

973 posts, read 1,409,076 times
Will you be commuting to the City? If yes, when and to where? If not, you could do even better by going north to Putnam and Dutchess.

Clarkstown, South Orangetown and Pearl River would be the best 3 school districts in Rockland imo. Clarkstown has a fair amount of secular jews, South Orangetown some, Pearl River almost none. All 3 have nothing by way of Orthodox/Hasidm in the community.

Old 12-26-2022, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Will you be commuting to the City? If yes, when and to where? If not, you could do even better by going north to Putnam and Dutchess.

Clarkstown, South Orangetown and Pearl River would be the best 3 school districts in Rockland imo. Clarkstown has a fair amount of secular jews, South Orangetown some, Pearl River almost none. All 3 have nothing by way of Orthodox/Hasidm in the community.
Fabulous thank you thats a great breakdown of demographics...thanks that really helps...

Yeah a few days a week to bryant park but we have peace with the fact that we will have a long commute.
We are trying to stick with a more blue area too.
I would prefer to stay on the other side of the pond too.
But I would like to also live in a more blue area than red...the very north gets very red...not sure if we would fit in

I will def look in to putnam etc...

Old 01-02-2023, 06:38 PM

74 posts, read 80,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro New yorker View Post
Fabulous thank you thats a great breakdown of demographics...thanks that really helps...

Yeah a few days a week to bryant park but we have peace with the fact that we will have a long commute.
We are trying to stick with a more blue area too.
I would prefer to stay on the other side of the pond too.
But I would like to also live in a more blue area than red...the very north gets very red...not sure if we would fit in

I will def look in to putnam etc...
Rockland and Putnam are way more "red" than Northern Westchester is if that is a serious concern for you.

We seriously considered Rockland- but ultimately decided on Westchester. Rockland taxes are very high- on a whole we found them on par or even higher than most Westchester towns.

Bergen County also had lower taxes- compare Suffern to Mahwah for instance.

Once we factored in the commute on public transportation, it just didn't seem like a great value anymore. However the ease of shopping on Route 17 in NJ was a major plus.

Is there a reason you are avoiding the Bedford or Croton-Harmon School Districts in Upper Westchester?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County