Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 11:59 AM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
I think Pelham would fit the bill as well, no? From what I know from my Pelham friends, the kids all walk to school and each other's houses. The things you can walk to (ie. shops, restaurants, activities, etc) will obviously depend on where exactly your house is located. But I think Pelham would be a good place for the OP to look.
It looks like a good fit: https://www.walkscore.com/score/pelham-ny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 08:50 PM

1,186 posts, read 965,640 times
For sure, I’m not as familiar with the East side towns (Pelham, Mamaroneck, etc). Rye seems fairly walkable from a cursory point of view, but there are many factors to consider like how practical are the businesses you will have walking access to (are they things you will need frequently like grocery stores, transit stations, parks, schools, etc or are they specialty boutique clothing shops, real estate agencies or insurance agencies?) and factors like how concentrated the businesses are in the main village vs spread out a longer stretch of higher speed roadway (a layout that caters better to drivers than pedestrians). Finally, where the housing is located in relation to the businesses is important too as many towns have strict zoning that puts the bulk of housing far away from the business district (again probably based on the assumption that everyone drives).

In my mind there’s the concept of occasional walkability (i.e it would be nice if I could get from A to B in my town on foot) and then there’s the idea of whether I can realistically and safely live in this town with occasional or no access to a personal vehicle? Two very separate ideas.

It’s such a subjective thing but I listed out those points above just to highlight some things I take into consideration when assessing a town’s practical walkability.

Old 01-20-2023, 08:54 AM

973 posts, read 1,409,076 times
"Walkability" is similar to "down to earth", in terms of requests in this forum. Both will have 100 different definitions if you asked 100 different people, and both are extremely hard to define. All (or maybe nearly all) suburban NY communities will be both walkable and not walkable, depending on your definition of such, and exactly where you will be living. Where I live, for instance, you can have a SFH that is 100% walkable to everything - supermarket, pharmacy, barber, restaurants/bars, coffee shops, delis, retail, train, bus, etc, or you can have a SFH that is not walkable to any of these things. Most places in suburban NY are similar.

Old 01-20-2023, 01:25 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
For sure, I’m not as familiar with the East side towns (Pelham, Mamaroneck, etc). Rye seems fairly walkable from a cursory point of view, but there are many factors to consider like how practical are the businesses you will have walking access to (are they things you will need frequently like grocery stores, transit stations, parks, schools, etc or are they specialty boutique clothing shops, real estate agencies or insurance agencies?) and factors like how concentrated the businesses are in the main village vs spread out a longer stretch of higher speed roadway (a layout that caters better to drivers than pedestrians). Finally, where the housing is located in relation to the businesses is important too as many towns have strict zoning that puts the bulk of housing far away from the business district (again probably based on the assumption that everyone drives).

In my mind there’s the concept of occasional walkability (i.e it would be nice if I could get from A to B in my town on foot) and then there’s the idea of whether I can realistically and safely live in this town with occasional or no access to a personal vehicle? Two very separate ideas.

It’s such a subjective thing but I listed out those points above just to highlight some things I take into consideration when assessing a town’s practical walkability.
In terms of the bolded, that is the key. Meaning, do you have sidewalks where you can safely walk to services/shops/stores without having to dodge vehicles while on the side of the road or are the traffic lights in sync in order for you to cross the street safely. So, that plays a part in the walkability aspect.

Like 987ABC mentioned, you can literally have communities where sections offer this and then other parts don't. So, infrastructure has to be considered when it comes to walkability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County