Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2023, 12:53 PM

69 posts, read 147,334 times

Advertisements

What is the walk like from the Residence Inn downtown hotel to the New Rochelle train station? It seems to be a relatively short walk. Thinking this might be a better option than staying in Manhattan for a few nights....never been to NYC before (very familiar with Chicago so big cities are not a turn off for me.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 03:16 PM

81 posts, read 85,198 times
Are you going to be spending your days entirely in New York City, or do you have a reason to be near New Rochelle?
Assuming you're visiting for NYC and you're only looking at New Rochelle to save money on hotel -- I don't recommend it, unless you're on a very tight budget. (And even then, it still might not be that much cheaper -- remember the train costs $12 each way, and then it takes you to Grand Central Station, and then you'll still need to pay for a subway or taxi to where you're going.) The train from New Rochelle is about 30 minutes each way but you have to plan your schedule around when the trains are running. If you end up staying out late even one night, you might feel tempted to take an uber home and then there go your savings from the hotel.
New Rochelle is generally safe in the daytime, and mostly safe at night, but I personally wouldn't want to walk too far there at night.

Old 06-21-2023, 06:09 AM

76 posts, read 106,928 times
The Residence Inn is only a few blocks away from the New Rochelle Train station. Probably about 5-8 mins walk. Its an easy walk and generally safe.

Old 06-21-2023, 07:47 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,149,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawk1 View Post
What is the walk like from the Residence Inn downtown hotel to the New Rochelle train station? It seems to be a relatively short walk. Thinking this might be a better option than staying in Manhattan for a few nights....never been to NYC before (very familiar with Chicago so big cities are not a turn off for me.)
Its about the equivalent of 5 NYC street blocks, under 10 minutes. The area is VERY safe. Do not let fools who are just scared of names frighten you. You are walking past the Post Office, one of the most expensive high rises in the city, banks, nice local and chain restaurants, expensive commercial spaces ... There is no more danger here than if you were staying in midtown manhattan and it certainly is cheaper. I mean it is literally next door to an Applebees. How suburbia can you get?

I am not sure its a better option, but its not a safety issue compared to midtown manhattan in any way. Train ride is fast. That said, there are good hotel options in NYC that are fairly priced as well. Do your research and if price is your only concern, I think you can find a fairly priced option in NYC when you factor in the train costs and your time to travel. Higher than NR, but not by a large amount. But you will not have any problems in this section of NR. Its very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County