Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 03:55 PM

6 posts, read 23,706 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find an area close to the city that is afforable and the quality of education in the PSS is good. It seems like this doesn't exist...almost like a trade-off. I'm a single-parent so my income is limited, however, I don't feel my child should suffer for a lack of income. Also, the environment found in more "urban" areas and schools is not one that I want to expose her to.

I'd like a family, community type of area, that has some activities. Afterschool extracurricular activities would be great. A downtown area is nice, but by far not a necessity. Safety is, though.

I grew up in Maplewood, however, that and South Orange seem to have changed; the quality of schools has definitely detoriated since I left.

Any suggestions would be helpful...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 04:21 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
What is your housing budget? Rent or own? We need this information to help you.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:03 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
To build on Viralmd's questions, how long a commute from the city is tolerable? Will you drive or take MetroNorth (assuming a Manhattan commute)? There are some places in Westchester that while the overall area tends to be expensive, some areas exist in the school district that are not as expensive and might offer some options.

The questions can really help to narrow down areas to recommend, so that we don't send you far away from where you're seeking.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:07 AM

6 posts, read 23,706 times
I don't want to spend more than 2K. I plan to rent for now and don't want to spend too much because I want to buy at the end of the year. However, if I could find anything less than that, that would be great.

I'd like a commute that is an hour or less. I'm fine with MetroNorth, but have a car so I can drive to train if necessary. If I had to drive to the train nothing more than 30 min drive. I work in Midtown so Grand Central is convenient and a short walk. (I'd actually prefer to take the train.)

A family friendly, diverse town for my daughter would be good. A downtown area is a plus, but is not a necessity. I've been to Mount Vernon several times (but the area I've been too doesn't seem that impressive) and it seems sort of dumpy. I've heard from my co-workers that areas of Scarsdale, Larchmont, Pelham, Mamaronneck (sp?), and White Plains are nice.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:51 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Mount Vernon, I'd cross off the list, primarily from a schools perspective. For a good public school, you might have to make a concession in the type of apartment, and it may require a bit of a hunt, but you should be able to find something that would work for you.

I would check out Pelham, Larchmont-Mamaroneck, perhaps Rye Neck (Mamaroneck Schools), Ardsley, Hastings, Pleasantville, and North White Plains (Valhalla Schools). Also, look at the Edgemont School District, Central Avenue between Scarsdale-Hartsdale, but be sure it's Edgemont Schools. Scarsdale and Bronxville are likely going to be much more expensive, but Tuckahoe and Eastchester are worth considering.

White Plains City schools are not among the top, overall, in the county, so as with the nicer areas of New Rochelle and Mount Vernon, many opt for private schools.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:02 PM

39 posts, read 215,548 times
I would check out Mamaroneck along with Great Neck on Long Island. There are some large rental apartment buildings there that should be affordable for a basic two bedroom and the school districts are among the best in the state. Both would give you a half hour train ride into NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County