Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 08:19 AM

13 posts, read 45,709 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are a family of 3: my husband and I have just one 4-year-old daughter, looking to make the move to Westchester. We were originally very interested in Tarrytown (and still am) but after reading an earlier thread, safety is a concern. Is Tarrytown safe??

Based off what our needs are, what town do you think would be our best match?

Here are our requirements:

1. COMMUTE: Husband works in NYC Public schools and needs shortest, easiest commute possible to Long Island City.

2. RENTAL: We are looking to settle down for at least a decade, while our daughter completes school. That said, we are not in a position to buy a place. We want to rent a small house or apartment in a nice development.

3. CULTURAL DIVERSITY: we are very interested in raising our daughter in a diverse area culturally, but not class-wise, meaning, we really want racial, ethnic, and even religious diversity, yet we do not want a lot of class diversity. Yes to educated, ethnically mixed families, liberal-minded families. Not interested in inner-city vibe and lots of projects around. We are teachers, not billionaires - we want a nice area but not exclusively upper-class - just nice, warm neighborhood that welcomes a family of artists/teachers. Safety is a HUGE concern. That said...

4. SAFETY: Looking for a town that is LOW on crime and is safe for walking in the eve, especially from the MetroNorth at night.

5. ARTS: Looking for a neighborhood that is friendly to musicians, artists, writers, and creative types. I am a classical flutist and my husband is a writer. We are both teachers.

After 18 years in Manhattan, we moved a few years ago to Port Washington on Long Island. We are okay with the area, but it is super all-white, totally not diverse, and Long Island in general is lacking any artistic appreciation. It is feeling increasingly snobby and exclusive on the North Shore. It is really safe though, which I love. Always loved the Rivertowns and want to raise our daughter in a warm, diverse, safe, pretty community. Your feedback is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 10:06 AM

195 posts, read 297,311 times
New Rochelle has some very nice spots but it does have some sketchy areas.
If you do your homework, a lot of northern New Rochelle may fit your bill.

The river towns in general are wonderful - Dobbs Ferry, Ardsley, Hastings - I think Irvington is more expensive generally.
Not sure how much diversity you'll see, but I believe it's more than Port Washington, while still being a safe cozy community.

Harrison is nice too, but not sure how many rentals you'll find.

White Plains has a lot to rent, and if you search for threads on the area, the people who live there seem very happy with it.

LIC is still going to be a trek from anywhere in Westchester. Not sure how easy it's going to be on public transit. Have you thought at all about different areas of Queens/Long Island? I know people in both Floral Park and Lynbrook/Hewlett area that are very happy with the area/schools and that commute may be a lot better.....

Old 10-17-2016, 10:22 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,155,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappergirl425 View Post
Hello,

We are a family of 3: my husband and I have just one 4-year-old daughter, looking to make the move to Westchester. We were originally very interested in Tarrytown (and still am) but after reading an earlier thread, safety is a concern. Is Tarrytown safe??

Based off what our needs are, what town do you think would be our best match?

Here are our requirements:

1. COMMUTE: Husband works in NYC Public schools and needs shortest, easiest commute possible to Long Island City.

2. RENTAL: We are looking to settle down for at least a decade, while our daughter completes school. That said, we are not in a position to buy a place. We want to rent a small house or apartment in a nice development.

3. CULTURAL DIVERSITY: we are very interested in raising our daughter in a diverse area culturally, but not class-wise, meaning, we really want racial, ethnic, and even religious diversity, yet we do not want a lot of class diversity. Yes to educated, ethnically mixed families, liberal-minded families. Not interested in inner-city vibe and lots of projects around. We are teachers, not billionaires - we want a nice area but not exclusively upper-class - just nice, warm neighborhood that welcomes a family of artists/teachers. Safety is a HUGE concern. That said...

4. SAFETY: Looking for a town that is LOW on crime and is safe for walking in the eve, especially from the MetroNorth at night.

5. ARTS: Looking for a neighborhood that is friendly to musicians, artists, writers, and creative types. I am a classical flutist and my husband is a writer. We are both teachers.

After 18 years in Manhattan, we moved a few years ago to Port Washington on Long Island. We are okay with the area, but it is super all-white, totally not diverse, and Long Island in general is lacking any artistic appreciation. It is feeling increasingly snobby and exclusive on the North Shore. It is really safe though, which I love. Always loved the Rivertowns and want to raise our daughter in a warm, diverse, safe, pretty community. Your feedback is appreciated!
For a LIC commute, have you considered something east, towards Long Island. Its only a stop or two on the train from grand central, but in non-rush hours, that can add a lot of time. I agree otherwise with teh southern towns mentioned. Good luck.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:48 PM

830 posts, read 1,093,822 times
Might also be worth checking out Port Chester as it fits some of your criteria and better proximity to LIC than the river towns. Safety is a concern in some downtown areas but is becoming less so lately with a lot of new developments gentrifying areas that used to be "bad". Larchmont might also fit the bill as it's similar to Port Washington but with more international diversity and artsy vibe, very safe, but more expensive.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:43 PM

13 posts, read 45,709 times
Thanks for the feedback! We actually live in Port Washington on LI in nassau County. We have been here for 3 yrs after 18 years in Manhattan. The commute is definitely ideal... but the area is like 99% white, and there is a lot of upscale, snobby stuff inching in. Not too many artistic people. It is ok but I am looking for more of what I outlined above to raise our daughter. Not sure if what I am looking for even exists. Kinda want Sesame Street!!

Old 10-18-2016, 03:33 PM

130 posts, read 179,535 times
Try Beacon.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:57 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Take a look at New Rochelle. It has a growing arts community as people are priced out of Brooklyn and Manhattan, an exceptionally easy commute to NYC and celebrates it's diversity.

//www.city-data.com/city/New-Ro...-New-York.html

Old 10-20-2016, 08:30 AM

222 posts, read 540,919 times
Not in Westchester but Forest Hills in Queens sounds spot on.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:48 AM

156 posts, read 305,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobslander View Post
Try Beacon.

OP needs shortest, "easiest commute possible to Long Island City.":

Old 10-20-2016, 07:44 PM

130 posts, read 179,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SulfurDog View Post
OP needs shortest, "easiest commute possible to Long Island City.":
I used to commute to Astoria every single day of the working week from Chappaqua and it used to take me about 30 minutes... From Beacon, I'd add another 30 minutes.

It's all about compromising: Beacon does have an artsy community and it's a lot more diverse than lily-white Westchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County