Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 10:16 AM

19 posts, read 45,136 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My wife and I are contemplating a move to the Harrison area. We're wondering specifically about the quality of the school system, since we have two kids. Any thoughts on the high school in particular would be helpful.

How does it stack up in terms of the surrounding areas? Scarsdale? Rye? Blind Brook? I know that sometimes it's hard to tell much about a school system (let's be honest, people usually rank the "best" school systems by the income level of the community, which really has nothing to do with the level of teaching and learning and leadership that goes on), but any ideas about a more "complete" assessment of the Harrison (and surrounding areas) would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 06:54 PM

701 posts, read 3,326,165 times
You have already noted the close correlation between school ratings and community affluence.

So speaking purely of county-wide reputation, Harrison is far less prestigious than the other districts you mentioned. That said, of the few people I know in the district, I have not heard major complaints. It does have a decent reputation. But I don't personally have information on the specifics.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:48 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Harrison is not a bad district, though the town/village (it's both, like Scarsdale) has more diversity than nearby areas that tend to garner more attention. Harrison's economic diversity ranges from areas of middle class housing to a significant proportion of houses in excess of $5M, especially for houses on the golf course and in the hamlet of Purchase. Harrison also has a larger population and geographic area than many of the districts that generate more attention in Lower/Central Westchester, including: Rye, Scarsdale, Pelham, Irvington, and Bronxville. In terms of performance, it's a respected district, and some of its elementary schools are very well regarded.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:09 PM

353 posts, read 1,367,198 times
In the past, I have heard a lot of high school kids getting in trouble with booze and drugs in Harrison. It just seems like it has been in the news more than other towns. I would look into that a little. Not sure if it a real problem or not.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:07 PM

19 posts, read 45,136 times
Default Really?

Problems with booze and drugs at Harrison? More so than the surrounding communities? It seems to me that most of the wealthier districts in Westchester have the usual problems with the more expensive drugs (the white drugs). I did some internet searching and really couldn't find anything substantive - I'm not doubting you, I'm just trying to find some articles or blogs, etc. Any other information would be very much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County