Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2009, 04:48 PM

73 posts, read 159,933 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about buying a 2 bedroom one someday and wanted more opinions then I found on a search. What is it like living on Garth? Are there many families with children, or are here alot of seniors there? Is the maintenance considered reasonable? Are the apartments worth the price? What about parking, school buses and activities? Any information provided is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 08:03 PM

414 posts, read 302,906 times
did you ever move to garth road? we are looking now...

Old 01-26-2011, 10:16 AM

114 posts, read 571,635 times
My wife and I recently bought a house this past Summer, moving out of a co-op on Garth Road. My boss did the same, too, a few years ago.

It's was a great community. Very, very walkable, playground at the end of Garth Road (where we lived), and you can walk along the Bronx river path... again, very nice.

In our building, there were a lot of "old people", some retired, some a few years away from it. On our floor, there was only two retiree couples out of the ten apartments on the floor. Two young people, two families, each with a single child, a widow, a middle-aged guy who is on disability, and us. From what I saw in the elevators, it was about the same for the rest of our building.

I forget what the maintenance was, maybe around $1000? How quick the memory goes... ;-)

Parking is an issue. There's a lot of metered parking, but most buildings have their own garages for tenants. At the back of Garth, Grayrock Road, it's permit parking.

School buses, I can't answer because we didn't have children when we lived there, so I honestly don't know.

And keep in mind that Garth Road has a Scarsdale PO, you're actually in Eastchester, so you'll be in the Eastchester school district.

My wife and I enjoyed living there. Though we love our house, my wife often says she misses our place on Garth. For one, we no longer walk anywhere - no sidewalks where we live. Little things.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:23 PM

414 posts, read 302,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioGuy93 View Post
My wife and I recently bought a house this past Summer, moving out of a co-op on Garth Road. My boss did the same, too, a few years ago.

It's was a great community. Very, very walkable, playground at the end of Garth Road (where we lived), and you can walk along the Bronx river path... again, very nice.

In our building, there were a lot of "old people", some retired, some a few years away from it. On our floor, there was only two retiree couples out of the ten apartments on the floor. Two young people, two families, each with a single child, a widow, a middle-aged guy who is on disability, and us. From what I saw in the elevators, it was about the same for the rest of our building.

I forget what the maintenance was, maybe around $1000? How quick the memory goes... ;-)

Parking is an issue. There's a lot of metered parking, but most buildings have their own garages for tenants. At the back of Garth, Grayrock Road, it's permit parking.

School buses, I can't answer because we didn't have children when we lived there, so I honestly don't know.

And keep in mind that Garth Road has a Scarsdale PO, you're actually in Eastchester, so you'll be in the Eastchester school district.

My wife and I enjoyed living there. Though we love our house, my wife often says she misses our place on Garth. For one, we no longer walk anywhere - no sidewalks where we live. Little things.

thanks for the reply, sounds like a good place! we are close to a contract on an apt.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 AM

114 posts, read 571,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Life View Post
thanks for the reply, sounds like a good place! we are close to a contract on an apt.
Congrats! I'm sure you'll love it there. In the spring time, it's a beautiful neighborhood to walk around and see everything in bloom. For a concrete jungle, Garth is very 'wooded'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County