Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 07:27 AM

2 posts, read 14,102 times

Advertisements

I was recently hired by White Plains hospital so my husband and I decided that we should probably move to Westchester to make our lives a little easier. We haven't quite narrowed down where to move to but are looking into Bronxville, Tuckahoe, Scarsdale. I need to commute to White Plains and my husband needs to commute to NYC. We also have a daughter who is entering kindergarten this fall and need to find a kindergarten that offers full day programs five days a week. From my research, I believe that Bronxville has the best school, but they only have a full day kindergarten 3 times a week and the other 2 days are half days. This would be very tough on me as I'll be working at nights and am counting on my daughter to be in school from 8:30 to about 3pm so that I can sleep during those hours and spend time with her when she gets home. Does anyone know of good public schools with full day kindergarten programs in Westchester. Or does anyone know about after school day care that would pick my daughter up from school?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 07:49 AM

375 posts, read 1,576,965 times
I've also been researching school districts and so far I found only one district that has 5 full day kindergarten. That would be White Plains. I can't remember all the other schools that I called up, but off the top of my head, Scarsdale, Edgemont, and Mamaroneck are 3 full and 2 half, like what you found at Bronxville. And I'm beginning to think that is the norm and White Plains may be the exception.

As far as after school care is concerned, White Plains was also more affordable... Something like $200 to $300 per month with activities planned for the children at the school building. For the other districts I mentioned, I haven't looked into the details for all of them, but you have to sign up with after school care providers out side of the school and they will pickup the children after school. You need to call the individual schools to find out who the providers are and call them directly for the details. So far I've only inquired with Kids BASE which provides care for Scarsdale children and like all things in Scarsdale, the cost seemed pretty steep.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 14,102 times
Thanks so much for your help. How are the white plains schools? I'm also considering private school for kindergarten seeing as how difficult it is to get a full five day kindergarten in the public school systems. Do you know of any good private elementary schools in that area?

Old 07-02-2009, 09:34 AM

269 posts, read 481,125 times
Default Eastchester has full day K

and an afterschool program.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:49 AM

701 posts, read 3,326,675 times
Some school districts have after-school programs right in the school (often run by a non-profit 3rd party such as YMCA).

Many school districts in Westchester offer full day kindergarten, but I know some districts have a transition period over the first few weeks, where it is part time.

If you are searching in Bronxville, be sure you are looking in Bronxville schools as opposed to Bronxville post office (which is often Yonkers schools).

We reside in Chappaqua, which offers full day Kindergarten, as well as in-school after-care.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:45 AM

490 posts, read 1,788,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkur View Post
Thanks so much for your help. How are the white plains schools? I'm also considering private school for kindergarten seeing as how difficult it is to get a full five day kindergarten in the public school systems. Do you know of any good private elementary schools in that area?
Hi Linkur,

You can read a bit about the WP schools here:

white plains elementary schools

Personally think you should consider WP. Your life would be easy living and working there. Just make sure you pick a quiet area so you can sleep during the day.

Best luck,

Old 07-02-2009, 11:09 AM

375 posts, read 1,576,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkur View Post
White Plains doesn't have the brand name like some of the affluent areas, but for elementary levels, I think it's fine. (Can't say much about Middle and High School because I haven't visited.) I visited Mamaroneck Ave School and I got a good vibe there.

Last edited by LightningMcQueen; 07-02-2009 at 11:27 AM..

Old 07-02-2009, 01:48 PM

33 posts, read 152,879 times
If you would consider Catholic school, you can find full day kindergarten there and some schools offer after school care. I know the Catholic school in my neighborhood does and we are just north of Bronxville & and adjacent to Tuckahoe. You may want to check with St. Joseph's in Bronxville to see if they offer what you are looking for. Annunciation in Crestwood has what you need and you could also check Immaculate Heart of Mary (IHM) School in Scarsdale and Our Lady of Fatima. St. Eugenes in Yonkers is close to Tuckahoe. Good luck.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:27 PM

223 posts, read 828,650 times
Briarcliff has full day Kindergarten starting this year

Old 07-02-2009, 08:00 PM

305 posts, read 1,895,442 times
Ardsley has full day Kindergarden. The first month they transition the kids but after September they are full time. They also have an excellent after school program which they offer to everyone but they also offer it to the parents of Kindergardeners so that they aren't too inconvenienced for that first month. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County