Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 05:04 AM

943 posts, read 4,259,199 times

Advertisements

I know that New Rochelle schools are below average for "Westchester Standards", but how would they rank in comparison to New York City Schools? If someone not from Westchester County visited New Rochelle Public Schools, what would be their impression?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 03:59 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
I would say that they are good. NewRo High is a big High School, but it is a school where there are quite a few students that go on to good schools.

Here's some information you might want to look at: https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/District.do?year=2008&county=WESTCHESTER&district= 661100010000 (broken link)

New Rochelle City School District Overview | GreatSchools

City School District of New Rochelle - Homepage

Old 08-22-2009, 07:42 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
On average I would say way above NYC schools but NYC is the largest city and district in the country so it's like comparing a mouse to an elephant. Are we comparing it to a school in the South Bronx or are we comparing it to one in Riverdale or Staten Island? Or to Bronx HS of Science and/or Stuyvesant High school.

So very hard to say.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:57 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,105 times
I've always thought that NRHS had a beautiful campus, right by that lake. Yes the school is over crowded but I would rate it slightly above average. 7 makes a good point, you can't compare one HS to all of HS's in the five boroughs (which contain a vast range of different and specialized high schools).

I think you'd be better just comparing New Rochelle to other schools locally. Don't take the stats your read or hear literally, talk to students and their parents who have actually experienced the schools.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:34 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
New Rochelle HS is quite beautiful. The lake doubles as a public park, and there's a quite unique adjacent playground we go to all the time (an interesting sidenote is the diversity of that playground, you see Orthodox Jews, inner city minorities, and everyone else's kids all in the same park, kind of a microcosm of New Rochelle's unique demographics). I believe New Rochelle HS is the only high school for the whole city so it is unique in that you'd see a bit of that in the school.

In fact, my wife and I had our wedding pictures taken there (we were married nearby at the Fountainhead).

Old 08-23-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
New Rochelle HS is quite beautiful. The lake doubles as a public park, and there's a quite unique adjacent playground we go to all the time (an interesting sidenote is the diversity of that playground, you see Orthodox Jews, inner city minorities, and everyone else's kids all in the same park, kind of a microcosm of New Rochelle's unique demographics). I believe New Rochelle HS is the only high school for the whole city so it is unique in that you'd see a bit of that in the school.

In fact, my wife and I had our wedding pictures taken there (we were married nearby at the Fountainhead).
New Rochelle also has plenty of private HS options with schools like: Salesian(boys), Iona Prep(boys), Blessed Sacrament-St. Gabriel(co-ed) and The Ursuline School(girls).

Old 08-23-2009, 02:36 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
New Rochelle also has plenty of private HS options with schools like: Salesian(boys), Iona Prep(boys), Blessed Sacrament-St. Gabriel(co-ed) and The Ursuline School(girls).
And they're all Catholic. What if the OP isn't Catholic?

Old 08-23-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
And they're all Catholic. What if the OP isn't Catholic?
Does it matter? You don't have to be Catholic to attend those schools.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:23 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Does it matter? You don't have to be Catholic to attend those schools.
Yes, it does matter. Catholic schools proselytize. They did it when my niece attended one and my sister took her out. They swore they wouldn't and they did. Boy, did they ever.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Yes, it does matter. Catholic schools proselytize. They did it when my niece attended one and my sister took her out. They swore they wouldn't and they did. Boy, did they ever.
Maybe it was the school she went to. I know the Catholic schools in my area have kids from various backgrounds(religious, ethnic, racial, etc.) that seem to be fine with going to such schools. Maybe the one's I listed aren't that way.

Maybe the Hackley School or the Masters School would be options if they don't want to go the Catholic route. Rye Country Day is another to consider. Here's a list of private HS's in Westchester County: http://www.westchestergov.com/ed/privsch.htm#High%20Schools (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County