Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 12:42 PM

11 posts, read 65,034 times

Advertisements

I am wondering where some places are in the suburbs to hang out with people into the evening.

I know Starbucks is open till 10. I tend to dislike Starbucks as a hang out spot on general principal, the local coffee shops I know of close by 8 at the latest.

There are a few diners, but I don't consider that a good option. Maybe a cool restaurant.

And there are bars. I suppose a local bar may be OK but not really what I'm looking for ideally. Perhaps a hip bar or some place young professionals would go to.

Any suggestions on other places that are open late that would be an interesting place to hang out? Coffee Shops, interesting restaurant / bars, other places I can't think of off hand? Ideally a noise level where you can talk to someone.

Last time I tried looking I came up with the things I listed first, which I found unsatisfactory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 08:39 AM

95 posts, read 431,162 times
What part of Westchester are you looking in?

Old 11-09-2009, 08:50 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times
The Peekskill Coffee House (http://peekskillcoffee.tumblr.com/ - broken link) is open to 11:00 on Friday and Saturday nights. Also in Peeskill, 12 Grapes Restaurant, Music and Wine Bar, Peekskill, NY is also open late.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:23 PM

92 posts, read 359,395 times
There are many many bars and night spots in downtown White Plains along Mamaroneck Avenue and Post Road.. too many to list.. however it can tend to have a bit of a "college" feel

Old 11-11-2009, 10:22 AM

Location: San Fernando Valley, CA but desperately hoping to move back to New York
74 posts, read 349,998 times
depending on where you're looking, I can say that

New Rochelle has some spots, on north ave. It also has 2 bar/restaurants on the water that are nice, I haven't been to either late night in a long time but in the old days they tended to get a little loud.

Larchmont/mamaroneck has bars, restaurants and diners that might work too.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:01 PM

As far as area of Westchester, I live in Tarrytown and anything a reasonable drive from there would work. I would prefer not to go to Nyak but if someone knows a great spot I'm up to hear about it. Driving back and forth on 287 from Tarrytown to Port Chester or a little off that route such as up to Pleasantville or Valhalla or south a little would be fine.

Thank you for the suggestions so far. I may have to check out some more bars in White Plains as well as the other suggestions in New Rochelle and even in Peekskill isn't too bad of a drive for me. The link about the Peekskill coffee shop looks like something I would enjoy if anyone else has more coffee shop suggestions like that one! Bars are not my first option as I don't always want to hang out at a bar with someone, and esp on weekends they are busy. I have struck out on 3 bars in WP and liked 2, respectively Black Bear, Thirsty Turtle and the Milk bar not being the right crowd and the Brazen Fox and James Joyce being OK. I don't live in WP so I don't always think to go into a new bar and try them.

Last edited by LisaGreenw; 11-14-2009 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: formatting, adding some more comments

Old 11-24-2009, 12:25 AM

8 posts, read 31,385 times
White Plains has a lot of cafe's and bar, etc...on mameroneck ave

Old 11-24-2009, 10:07 AM

701 posts, read 3,324,584 times
Bit out of the way from Tarrytown, but for a sophisticated bar, "Pour" in Mount Kisco is very nice.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:34 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Bit out of the way from Tarrytown, but for a sophisticated bar, "Pour" in Mount Kisco is very nice.
Also, if you want to cross the Hudson near Tarrytown, Nyack has a nice scene in their downtown too. What about these spots? http://velonyack.com/index.html
http://www.omalleysofnyack.com/
http://blackbearnyack.com/

and more here: http://www.restaurantrowrockland.com/media/restaurantsinnyack.html (broken link)
http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=nigh...2C+Nyack+10960

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-24-2009 at 12:45 PM..

Old 11-28-2009, 11:12 PM

Thank you, Nyack may be a good option. I've heard they have a nice downtown but I haven't been, not knowing much about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County