Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 08:06 PM

58 posts, read 184,773 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating soon to the NYC area and have narrowed down our housing search to these two areas in Westchester. Would love to hear people's perspectives about Northern New Rochelle versus Hartsdale. We plan to do private schools and the lower taxes in these two cities were appealing as well as the fact that there are actually decent houses in our price range here (up to 800K).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 06:16 PM

96 posts, read 251,082 times
Default I'd pick Hartsdale over New Rochelle

Both places have strong positives (beautiful neighborhoods to live in within reasonable distance of NYC), but I've found that the taxes in northern New Rochelle tend to be a little higher than in Hartsdale. I've looked closely at both areas and am currently in the process of going to contract in Hartsdale. I'm also going to use private schools. hope this helps.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:57 AM

374 posts, read 1,059,209 times
don't know much about new rochelle. But some parts in Hartsdale are really nice. In your price range you can probably find close to 2500+ sqft modern home in a nice area. My only concern is the hit that resale value is going to take because of the bad schools. I would personally consider getting less of a house in a better school district.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:11 PM

124 posts, read 702,340 times
if you check some stats you will find that over the past years Hartsdale houses appreciation is at about the same rate as the rest of lower Westchester towns both with good or bad school districts. There are always people who wanna private school (or no school yet or anymore) and lower tax. We sold ours pretty fast in Hartsdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County