Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 PM

92 posts, read 359,422 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am considering moving up to the Mohegan Lake/Cortlandt Manor area, and it seems that it is somewhat close to the Peekskill Metro North.. according to google maps, the drive to the train station is about 10 minutes, is that accurate?

How is parking in Peekskill.. I know there is a lottery for the annual parking permit, what about monthly, and what is the parking availability? I'd be coming somewhat later than most, around 8:30.. are spots available then?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:20 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,876,476 times
You might have better luck driving to the next station down, Cortlandt. A little safer area at night, and I believe more parking. Or if you're willing to drive down to Croton-on-Hudson, more frequent trains are available from there. They have a huge parking lot, but I think a lot of it is "taken" with permits, etc.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:33 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,634 times
There was an earlier post about this topic, and as I recall Peekskill residents said that they felt perfectly safe at the station at all hours of the night. I don't remember the details on waiting time for permits, but search for the post or go to the Peeskill website.

As for Croton, currently the parking lots are being repaired and the parking situation is a mess. As a result, there is a waiting list for non-resident permits. But normally the waiting period is no more than a month or two, and there is plenty of daily parking (no permit required).

Old 11-11-2009, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the advice! I know Croton has a ton of parking and many trains to the city and back, but my worry is that since I arrive there later than most that the lot will be filled, or the only spots available will be the ones that I heard flood... would that be the case?

According to the Peekskill website, there is no wait for monthly permits, but you are not guaranteed to get one every month. Is Peekskill really that bad of an area?

From things I read it is not great, but there are definitely worse.

Does anyone know how the traffic is on Route 6 in the morning and evening rush hour, because it looks like a one lane road at times, and I would need to take it to get to any hudson line train

Old 11-11-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanksRule View Post
Thanks for the advice! I know Croton has a ton of parking and many trains to the city and back, but my worry is that since I arrive there later than most that the lot will be filled, or the only spots available will be the ones that I heard flood... would that be the case?

According to the Peekskill website, there is no wait for monthly permits, but you are not guaranteed to get one every month. Is Peekskill really that bad of an area?

From things I read it is not great, but there are definitely worse.

Does anyone know how the traffic is on Route 6 in the morning and evening rush hour, because it looks like a one lane road at times, and I would need to take it to get to any hudson line train
In normal times--that is, after the construction project is over--parking at Croton should not be a problem. I often arrive at around 8:20 or 8:30 and there are still loads of spaces in the non-resident area. My wife occasionaly uses the daily parking and says that there are spots until around 10:30-11:00. The flooding only affected a handful of spots, and the construction project is designed to solve the flooding problems.

Peekskill is fine. Check the local police blotter if you are concerned.

I never go on Route 6 at rush hour, but I hear it is a nighmare.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
In normal times--that is, after the construction project is over--parking at Croton should not be a problem. I often arrive at around 8:20 or 8:30 and there are still loads of spaces in the non-resident area. My wife occasionaly uses the daily parking and says that there are spots until around 10:30-11:00. The flooding only affected a handful of spots, and the construction project is designed to solve the flooding problems.

Peekskill is fine. Check the local police blotter if you are concerned.

I never go on Route 6 at rush hour, but I hear it is a nighmare.
Do you know when that construction project is scheduled to finish? I couldn't find a date on the website.

Does traffic ease up on Route 6? I'm wondering if since I work later than most if I would avoid the worse of it...

Old 11-11-2009, 01:47 PM

I think construction at Croton should be done in about 3 months, but I could be misremembering. It's been going on since early spring...

I really don't know Route 6 that well. I do know that complaints about the "traffic issue" on Route 6 are a perennial topic in Cortlandt and Yorktown politics.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
I think construction at Croton should be done in about 3 months, but I could be misremembering. It's been going on since early spring...

I really don't know Route 6 that well. I do know that complaints about the "traffic issue" on Route 6 are a perennial topic in Cortlandt and Yorktown politics.
Thanks for your insight.. I'll start a forum comparing Route 6 to Central Ave down in Yonkers/Scarsdale/Hartsdale which I know well...

Is there another way to get to the train stations from Mohegan Lake/Cortlandt Manor that I am not thinking of?

Old 11-14-2009, 12:36 AM

10 posts, read 27,992 times
not, really and straight down route 6 is the fastest way, Peekskill does have limited parking which does require a pass, however its the closest station to Lk Mohegan. Of course Croton Harmon, and the Cortlandt station have more parking but they are also further away. There has never been not one incident of anyone getting bothered while coming to and from the Peekskill station. People shouldnt pass judgement on hearsay.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 6,752 times
My best advice is learn the backroads to get to any train station or anywhere else you want to go. Try to avoid Rte 6 and 202 as much as possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County