Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 06:57 AM

11 posts, read 52,251 times

Advertisements

Went to see a couple of houses in Thornwood and Pleasantville. Planes were flying over every 20 minutes or so. I couldn't hear them inside the houses but once outside it was quite obvious. The selling agent said the owners did not think it is a problem and that did not happen often. So I went to westchester airport's flight tracking system here Westchester County - AirportMonitor - by Megadata - powered by PASSUR and saw that every other day or so all flights land from that direction.

How do residents deal with those issues? Do you get used to it eventually? How responsive is the airport to complaints?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 05:45 AM

I called the airport and they told me that the wind pattern determines when the flights land from the direction of Thornwood/Pleasantville/Chappaqua.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:43 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardo770 View Post

Do you get used to it eventually? How responsive is the airport to complaints?

Thanks!
Well if your class action suit doesn't get dismissed, responsive, otherwise not so much.

The thing is, the planes are generally pretty high up so it generally isn't that big a deal. And nowadays, I can't find a single place in this burb that isn't affected by some kind of noise. I flew into HPN last week and we went right overthe humungous mansions of Bedford so there.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:51 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:
How do residents deal with those issues? Do you get used to it eventually? How responsive is the airport to complaints?
How do they deal? They deal by dealing with it. There's occasional plane noise all over north and central Westchester. What are you going to complain to the airport about and what would you expect them to do about it? The airport isn't going to reroute for your convenience.

You're in the general vicinity of an airport. If you were living in southern westchester or queens you'd hear the traffic from LGA or JFK, so be happy. Or you could launch a movement to shut down HPN. You'd probably get support from the folks in Greenwich living right next door.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
How do they deal? They deal by dealing with it. There's occasional plane noise all over north and central Westchester. What are you going to complain to the airport about and what would you expect them to do about it? The airport isn't going to reroute for your convenience.

You're in the general vicinity of an airport. If you were living in southern westchester or queens you'd hear the traffic from LGA or JFK, so be happy. Or you could launch a movement to shut down HPN. You'd probably get support from the folks in Greenwich living right next door.
Yes, I did see that there are occasional flights over all of westchester, however, the Thornwood/Pleasantville/Chappaqua landing route you get 4 planes an hour or more.

I saw how the new Boeing starts landing later in flight so that there's minimal noise. The worst offenders seem to be private jets who do whatever they want.

I guess there's noone here knowledgeable about the issues...

Old 06-23-2011, 10:09 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,139 times
Quote:
Yes, I did see that there are occasional flights over all of westchester, however, the Thornwood/Pleasantville/Chappaqua landing route you get 4 planes an hour or more.

I saw how the new Boeing starts landing later in flight so that there's minimal noise. The worst offenders seem to be private jets who do whatever they want.

I guess there's noone here knowledgeable about the issues...
Yes we are, but evidently you are not hearing the answers you want to hear.

Want to stop the flights? Good luck.

Go to the SDNY in White Plains and try to get a TRO. Or complain to the FSDO. Or go here: Our Airspace: the FAA Airspace Redesign Project: What To Do

Old 06-23-2011, 01:48 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,279 times
Having formerly lived close to LAX (who in heck decided to put a major airport on prime beach real estate anyway?!) I will say that you do indeed get used to it such that you really don't even notice it at all. The only ones I ever noticed really were the huge international ones that took off right around 10pm or so, but those don't fly out of White Plains. And, the noise seemed much louder when there was a thick marine cover.

As for responsive to complaints, again just speaking from LAX experience, they respond to complaints about planes flying too low, or during hours when they are not allowed to. You can't move next to an airport and then start complaining about legitimate airport noise - although many have tried! I always just assumed that only West Harrison had is really bad, though.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:11 PM

114 posts, read 571,783 times
I live in Pleasantville (on the border of Pleasantville and Thornwood) and I do hear the noise. According to the airport and the FAA (one of my co-workers bought a house a couple of miles near me so he also heard the noise, but didn't know about it until after he bought the house and he wrote to the FAA), that area is only used for landings and is only used 30% of the time, depending on weather.

If I'm watching TV with the volume low (I have a newborn at home) in the evening, I may hit pause on the Tivo for a few seconds while a plan goes overhead.

Having said that, my old apartment was near the Metro-North train tracks so hearing that blasted horn every 20 minutes, believe me... the 'occasional' plane noise doesn't bother me.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:13 PM

258 posts, read 908,065 times
I live in Pleasantville and I never hear planes. When I was househunting in a different part of Pleasantville, I heard a plane once but I grew up in the Bronx, and Laguardia is a much busier airport so maybe I am more used to it. I think it may depend on where you live in Thornwood/pleasantvile, if planes fly directly over your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County