Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:34 PM

28 posts, read 143,172 times

Advertisements

I wrote another post, but maybe it's title is not helping it to get any responses. Soes anyone out there have experience out there with car pooling or getting their children to school in Pleasantville's school district, that does not offer busing? We may be buying a place there, but driving to and frm school 2xs a day with a new born does not sound enticing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 04:50 AM

342 posts, read 1,093,820 times
Sorry you are not getting any response. We are moving to the area, so I can't answer your question. I can tell you that as the mom of 3 older kids, the thought of driving all of them to school at two different times, and then picking them up after school at 3 different times (considering clubs and sports) EVERYDAY seemed like a nightmare to me. I love my kids, but putting myself in the position of being "the bus" did not seem appealing to me at all. We narrowed our search to Briarcliff Manor, Chappaqua and Armonk because of the bus issue. I was told that those that live close to town really do walk and the other's are driven in a very efficient car pool line. Good luck on your house hunting!

Old 05-27-2010, 04:57 AM

And why is it again that this town does not offer busing? Can't be a financial reason! The town is just not that small in distance where everyone can walk within reason. A potential house we're looking at, is about a 25min walk, as stated on GoogleMaps. But add a 5 yr. old and a new born to that equation, and it is not a walk you'll be doing, if EVER! Not to mention the road to the school requires going on a busy road and crossing the Saw Mill.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:34 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,574,237 times
10 minutes a day never seemed like a big deal, to me. I mean, I know people who drive their kids to Brunswick, Hackley or Even RCDS when their driver calls in sick and the nannies are busy.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:11 AM

258 posts, read 907,644 times
I am moving to Pleasantville too! The block I am moving to seems that it has several school aged kids. Maybe once you move there and get to know people, people carpool. I have family in Larchmont (no busing either) and the mothers there carpool all the time. I am going back to work in a year so I think I am going to have to use before & after school busing from the Tutor time in town but I have no idea how expensive that will be.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:34 PM

395 posts, read 1,617,857 times
We have been in Pleasantville since last June, with one child in elementary and one at Tutor Time for preschool (PM me if you have any specific questions, we've been very happy there). The lack of busing was not a big shock to us coming from the driving culture of Los Angeles, but I can see how it could become difficult down the road, which is one of the reasons we ended up expanding our home search and ultimately purchasing in Chappaqua.

The morning drop off is pretty well coordinated - you pull up and staff/parents take the kids from the cars and guide them to the sidewalk so you don't have to find parking or get out of the car. In the winter the line of cars is considerably longer as less people walk, and you may be waiting 15-20 minutes to drop off. We utilize the Tutor Time bus and after school program, which allows us to pick both kids up from the same place (right across the street from the train station - very convenient). I believe the after school program w/bus is about $125/week, and it runs until 6:30 pm if you need that much coverage.

P-ville is a very friendly town and I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a carpool. You'll be able to meet plenty of moms through school and community activities and at the local pool/parks.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:02 AM

258 posts, read 907,644 times
Thanks Cali! Do you know how much it is for drop off as well. I work from 8-3 so I need to drop off and pick up. I hope you like Chappaqua!

Old 05-29-2010, 08:07 AM

395 posts, read 1,617,857 times
Ian - I'm not sure about the morning rates, but I think you can pay daily, if you only need a few days/week, or a discounted combo rate if you use both morning and afternoon programs. I can get the exact costs for you on Tuesday and report back.

The YMCA also operates an on-site after school program at Bedford Road, not sure if they do mornings as well, but that may be another option for you.

Also for NYNY, crossing the Saw Mill is not that big of a deal. There is a signal intersection at Grant Street (the house we're renting is one street past this) and a crossing guard stationed there in the mornings and afternoons. My husband or I cross it every morning walking to the train, and with kids/stroller on the weekends, and it's really not as precarious as it sounds. Nothing like attempting to cross a freeway in Los Angeles, more like crossing Pacific Coast Highway. I agree 25 minutes is probably not a convenient walk with kids on a daily basis, especially in inclement weather. But the area west of the SM and north of Pleasantville Road is lovely neighborhood with modest homes, nice people, lots of kids running around and easy access to the village.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
10 minutes a day never seemed like a big deal, to me. I mean, I know people who drive their kids to Brunswick, Hackley or Even RCDS when their driver calls in sick and the nannies are busy.
But this is more than simply 10 minutes aday, when you factor in shuffling into the car seats, parking, popping out of car, walking child into school to room, then back out, put baby back in car seat, drive the 5 min. back home. It's a pain in the butt already getting out the door on time, not to mention then dealing with going out 2xs a day in rain or snow with a newborn, who may at times be sick.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lan3 View Post
I am moving to Pleasantville too! The block I am moving to seems that it has several school aged kids. Maybe once you move there and get to know people, people carpool. I have family in Larchmont (no busing either) and the mothers there carpool all the time. I am going back to work in a year so I think I am going to have to use before & after school busing from the Tutor time in town but I have no idea how expensive that will be.
Tutor Time? What's that? Will do a google search for it. I saw a property listed below the town, that said bus stops at Pompeii Church, and the listing seemed to have Bedford Road as a school, or a Mount Pleasant School. Bedford Road, definitely has no busing, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County