Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:44 PM

108 posts, read 272,534 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm planning a mid july visit to Georgia Mountain fairgrounds to hang out on lake Chatuge and would like to ride the BRP with some friends. I would like some other suggestions for off the beaten path, nice scenic motorcycle rides and places to visit! thanks, Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 07:50 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by higelj2 View Post
Hello, I'm planning a mid july visit to Georgia Mountain fairgrounds to hang out on lake Chatuge and would like to ride the BRP with some friends. I would like some other suggestions for off the beaten path, nice scenic motorcycle rides and places to visit! thanks, Jeff

Sounds like you want to check out the tail of the dragon

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon.html

Old 06-11-2010, 07:01 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,606,584 times
higelj,
I live and have ridden here for the past 9 years; I think I know most every good two lane blacktop in Western NC...

BRP: fabulous ride, slow speed limits, many turn outs for views, which equals not making "time".
All services are to be found down feeder roads from the parkway, into little towns/areas.

Be aware of elevation changes: the ride at 3,500 feet can be nice, and at 4,500 to 5,000 feet it can be 15 degs colder and fogged in.

BRPkway starts way up in Front Royal, VA and is 469 miles to end in Cherokee. 2 days worth of riding, imo. The Parkway in the Northern section,
Skyline drive, is more narrow, lower speeds, less elevation, and lots of deer, even in daylight. The "best" of the BRPkway, imo, is the last 100 miles
from north of Asheville to the end in Cherokee...

Here are some BRP links:
Blue Ridge Parkway Maps
blueridgepkwy.com
Blue Ridge Parkway - Home

Another fine ride in Western NC, is the Cherohala Skyway, which imo, is even better than the BRPkway, but more remote in terms of "getting to it".
It offers higher elevations, even less traffic esp on weekdays, etc., and puts one closer to Deal's Gap aka Tail of the Dragon. Links:
Cherohala Skyway, mile high legend from Robbinsville NC to Tellico Plains TN
http://www.cherohala.com/maps/tourmap_2005.gif
http://www.cherohala.com/maps/chero_tn_map.gif

As previous poster mentioned, Tail of Dragon/Deal's Gap is like a magnet for riders/drivers in western NC, and worth a ride if you have time or want to.
It is however, imo, hugely overrated: very, very tight off camber turns, very low speeds on any touring scoot, with Mom and stuff packing, and on
weekends it is a zoo with hundreds of m'cycles of all models, cars, RVs, etc. But, worth to see/do once. The road(s) leading into T of Dragon are actually
better than the Dragon, eg Rt 28 out of Bryson City or Rt 129 out of Robbinsville.

As for tourist stuff, if you have a half day, I would rec'd Biltmore Estate in Asheville. Sort of like going to NYC without seeing Times Sq or Statue of Liberty,
if you have the time.

Lots of other great roads and stuff, but you didn't mention your time frame, group riding interests, etc. The riding is quite "different" than you have in MI,
as turns, hard steering, hard braking are common. I have more opins & ideas, lol!, but that's a start.
GL, mD

Old 06-11-2010, 07:27 AM

luvs... thanks for the link! that will be in my plans.

motordavid, thanks for the info and opinions. please send more if ya got it! thanks, Jeff

Last edited by higelj2; 06-11-2010 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: adding response

Old 06-11-2010, 07:45 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,606,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by higelj2 View Post
luvs... thanks for the link! that will be in my plans.

motordavid, thanks for the info and opinions. please send more if ya got it! thanks, Jeff
Jeff,
PM me if you want...I can give more opins/ideas, via email.
Need more info from you: time frame, group skills, daily
goals in terms of mileage, camping vs motels, etc.
GL, mD

Old 06-12-2010, 05:28 AM

227 posts, read 856,139 times
Check out Wolf Pen Gap Road towards Suches GA a great twisty curvy road & end at Dahlonaga for a nice walk around downtown and great lunch spot. We usually pick it up just west of Blairsville GA not too far from where you'll be.

Georgia's State Route 180: Wolf Pen Gap Road - Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine

BRP & Cherohala Skyway you can't beat

Old 06-12-2010, 06:25 AM

451 posts, read 1,565,245 times
Stops on the way, in our neck of the woods, Linville Falls, Grandfather Mountain, Viaduct around Grandfather Mtn., Price Lake, Moses Cone Estate. Be sure to check speed limit. Changes from 45mph to 35mph for about 19 miles. Speeding tickets are Federal. Have a wonderful and safe trip.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:59 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,518 times
Just south of where Catbirds is talking about exit at mile marker 312 (NC181). Stop in and Christa's Country Corner Cafe and have a smoked chicken sandwich. Excellent! Now, ride 181 15 miles south. Turn around just south of Steele Creek Campgrounds and ride it back up! Whatta blast!
If you and you friends are running straight pipes keep it quiet at Christa's. You'll upset her dogs.
If you get down to Blue Ridge GA stop in at Mercer's Orchards and have a fried pie and a cup of coffee. They are wonderful.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:13 PM

7 posts, read 24,888 times
Black Mountains to Lake Lure and back is a pretty sweet ride on Hwy 9. Lots of cutbacks on 2 laners as well as open stretches.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:05 PM

Default I'm baaaaack

thanks to all for the info prior to my visit! I had a blast riding around WNC. I was camping at lake chatuge so each day started leaving hiawassee,ga and riding from there.

Day 1-- rode 64 west to 141 north to 74 north to 129 thru robbinsville to the tail of the dragon, 129 to 72(tenn) down 360 to 165, cherohala skyway, back down 129 and jogged over to 1310(wayah rd) came out west of franklin and rode back to camp.

Day 2--back up the same route to tapoco, this time turned on 28 east, checked out fontana dam and lake, I really liked this road (28). rode up 74, 441 to cherokee and jumped on the BRP and rode it to 215 south, hopped on 64 west and rode thru cashiers, highlands up to franklin. Half way between franklin and hayesville on 64 west my rear tire blew out.....sometime around 10pm( arggggghhh). called woods towing out of hayesville to come get me and haul me back to camp.....long night.

Day 3-- found me a wide whitewall tire for my bike at cherokee county cycles, hauled the bike up to andrews and by 1pm waqs back on two wheels.....sweet. then rode down 17 south out of hiawassee to 180 east towards brasstown bald....stopped and walked up to the observation tower..nice view!! back on 180 east to348 to 75 at helen,ga and back to camp for a late evening kayak ride on the lake and a brief dip, ahhhhhh!

Day 4-- rode 64 west over to chattanooga for a yamaha bike event (lame ) and then back on 64 stopping along the way to way many rafters and kayakers playing in the rapids.

Day 5-- pack up camp and head back to michigan......play time is over and back to work!!!

I love that whole WNC area, I can't wait to move down once I call unload my michigan home.... Thanks again to all of the help making my trip a HUGE sucess..

Jeff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina