Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:27 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,918,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Two come to mind...

the smokey mountains themselves, so something showing a silhouete of them, or the Biltmore estate.

These two make me think immediately of Asheville
Ah, of course, the Biltmore.

You know, I've never been to the Biltmore, and have no plans to visit (has no appeal to me personally), but if the goal is to cater to the masses (i.e., tourists), that's probably as good a landmark as any.

Funny how Asheville is almost schizophrenic that way . . . a tale of two cities fo sho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 08:32 AM

35 posts, read 180,427 times
And don't forget the Blue Ridge Parkway itself, in addition to Grandfather Mountain. For me, the symbol of Asheville the city is the Biltmore. Oh, and Lake Lure/Chimney Rock.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:52 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Maybe you could include a few close-up shots of parking tickets. They seem to be representin' pretty well these days.

Seriously, I like the idea of animals/nature mentioned above. Bears, especially cubs, are sure crowd-pleasers. So get out there and find a bear's den!

Other thoughts:
The Asheville skyline, particularly at night
Apple orchards/roadside stands
Old barns and other rural structures
Snow scenes

Good luck!

Old 08-04-2010, 09:42 AM

442 posts, read 1,508,948 times
Guy - I want to get photos of outhouses to hang in our bathroom!! I'm thinking a group of three separate ones - preferably overgrown with kudzu! HA! I agree with arbyunc I really like the photos of the old tobacco barns and old-timers! Have you seen Tim Barnwell's "On Earth's Furrowed Brow"? I know you'd like it - P.S. I prefer black and white - what do others think??

Last edited by Loves mountains; 08-04-2010 at 09:55 AM..

Old 08-04-2010, 09:53 AM

120 posts, read 390,626 times
Guy - After reading the posts, definitely catch a great view of the city, both in the daytime and at night. Someone else mentioned scenes along the Blue Ridge Pkwy - yes! If you get further out and into the mountains, again you would find spectacular scenes to photograph. Capture the essence of what Asheville and WNC is about. Capture the energy and make it come right through the photos. That is what people will buy because that is why they come to live and visit the area. So you need a theme but a variety within that theme.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:51 AM

120 posts, read 390,626 times
The Asheville Citizen Times today posted a story about the Blue Ridge Parkway with a photo and the caption reads (quote): If only the Blue Ridge Parkway could charge a dollar for each sunset gawker, the budget woes would fade with the twilight.
Could this be a focus for you with your photography endeavor (the BRP at sunset/sunrise and every time in between plus all four seasons)? Just a thought to pass along.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:22 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
I have a couple ideas. If you can get a waterfall on a long exposure to make it soft, that would be good, especially in the fall when the leaves change. And I also happen to like the two Griffins statues at the north side entrance of the Grove Arcade, just a picture of one of them is sort of iconic... you'll need something high to stand on (like your car), to get it level, and since they are kind of flat in color, a sunrise or sunset's yellowish light on them might spice it up.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:30 PM

212 posts, read 426,424 times
Could you either do a series, or a collage? Call it "Our Asheville", or "Asheville, Always". Do children inspired locations, like a corn maze or Pack Square fountain, a young adult hang-out like Wedge Brewery at dusk or other funky place, vineyards or orchards which show bounty and fullness of an adult life and maybe a ribbon of the Parkway or that waterfall that gigimac mentioned, to show movement. I'm thinking that there's an Asheville for every "season" of a person's life. Make a soft collage of landscape/cityscape for each generation in each season. And, of course, if you want to put the iconic stamp of The Biltmore in the middle, that always says Asheville and nowhere else.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:43 PM

63 posts, read 152,093 times
For those of us who live in very western NC, the only thing Asheville means to us is Mission Memorial and doctor's offices, LOL. I never even shop anymore when I am in town (www is a great way to shop). So I'd have to say it's mountains that make western NC recognizeable.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:14 PM

756 posts, read 1,653,381 times
Thanks again everyone - these are some GREAT ideas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina