Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 11:42 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,633,953 times

Advertisements

Thanks, yes, I am very familiar with several of the places on the list; and they are excellent; albeit some are pricey for the "average" patron. Maybe I should have said that further back in this topic, that middle of the road priced restaurants for the average patron with decent food is a need. (That being said, a list of the cheezy chains and fast food places could be enlightening as well.) I'd rather eat at a grrrreat place that serves freshness once every two months than have something every few weeks at a so so place. I have also eaten at some of the places on that list that were not impressive at all. C'est la vie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 02:20 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,489,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnifer View Post
Anyone know of a good dog park in Asheville? If not, I'd love to see one of those open for all our furry friends!
A great zoo would be fun and also maybe a fun museum like Discovery Place in Charlotte.
And I love queenofbavaria's suggestion for the fountains & water feature at a public park (especially if we could do it solar powered!).
Great thread!
There are two dog parks in Asheville both of which are very nice, and one in black mountain.

The new pack square has a fountain just like you people are talking about.....

I think this thread has lost its original purpose. It seems like people are posting without knowing anything about Asheville.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:51 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,890,647 times
I at least visited five times and we try to see as much as possible with our children.
I can not recall having seen a playground with fountains, where kids can actually play IN the water - we have been to the health adventure at pack place twice. but - maybe I missed it.

I like a thread like this - maybe at the end it turns out, Asheville MIGHT actually not leave to much to be desired - since it's already there, just a little hidden. To me that's a great purpose of a thread.

and I agree, the river area could be done VERY nicely and draw a lot of people.

where I am from (in case I did not mention that before ) .... we have lots of 'beer gardens' and also (inside) restaurants, which offer great food and drinks, but, even better, a playground/playarea right next to it, where kids can play and have some fun, while parents finish their meals or just go for another drink.

If someone now tells me, hey, queen, thats already here - even better

Old 11-16-2010, 07:47 AM

45 posts, read 158,628 times
I moved to this area in the early 90's and I liked it better back then much more than now . Quiet , peaceful , sleepy little southern mountain town that provided the necessities . So I would say I would like to see nothing improved ! If you truly grasp what Asheville is and can appreciate it for it's " lost in time and Deep Southern roots " genre that it once had then kudos to you , that was the reason why most folks moved here to begin with .

Old 11-16-2010, 08:05 AM

467 posts, read 1,192,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
The new pack square has a fountain just like you people are talking about.....

I think this thread has lost its original purpose. It seems like people are posting without knowing anything about Asheville.
Oh Jeez, cut "Jonnifer" a little slack here. From what I see he/she lives in Charlotte - or could even be a newcomer to this area for all we know. Perhaps he/she just doesn't know these places already exist(?)

Heck, I even proved this to be the case in this very thread. I've resided here close to six years and didn't have a clue what Bellagio was. I'm finding and exploring new places every day.

"you people..." "those people..."

Chill.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:44 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,441,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the bad seed View Post
I moved to this area in the early 90's and I liked it better back then much more than now. Quiet, peaceful, sleepy little southern mountain town that provided the necessities. So I would say I would like to see nothing improved! If you truly grasp what Asheville is and can appreciate it for it's "lost in time and Deep Southern roots" genre that it once had then kudos to you, that was the reason why most folks moved here to begin with.
You liked it when downtown was a boarded up ghost town?

Can't say I share those feelings. Our family went there a lot and I visited as a child in the sixties when downtown was thriving and hated to see it dead when I visited in 1992. About the only reason I can see getting nostalgic for the early nineties was less traffic and the lower cost of living in Asheville then.

Besides, there are so many quiet sleepy places right outside of Asheville and all over the mountains, that we need a central city here. I'm happy to see Asheville more vibrant. Those beautiful buildings downtown seemed like a waste when they were empty. Just my opinion.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:09 AM

45 posts, read 158,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
You liked it when downtown was a boarded up ghost town?

Can't say I share those feelings. Our family went there a lot and I visited as a child in the sixties when downtown was thriving and hated to see it dead when I visited in 1992. About the only reason I can see getting nostalgic for the early nineties was less traffic and the lower cost of living in Asheville then.

Besides, there are so many quiet sleepy places right outside of Asheville and all over the mountains, that we need a central city here. I'm happy to see Asheville more vibrant. Those beautiful buildings downtown seemed like a waste when they were empty. Just my opinion.
So crowded streets , lack of parking , a failing infrastructure that can't support hyper growth and a skyrocketing cost of living paired with over annexation is better ? It wasn't a ghost town , all towns go through renewal and granted it wasn't perfect but it has lost it's quaint stature that was the reason people moved here . Multiple story buildings are going up everywhere . Has anyone you asked that moved here from a city said " I want it to be just like x city I came from " . I haven't but yet , it has slowly become the " x " city from which they moved away . I'm not being critical but , again , most folks moved here to get away from the city .

Old 11-16-2010, 10:38 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,441,786 times
Well it sure was a ghost town in 1992 when I was there. We ate downtown at one of the only restaurants that was there and I remember thinking that it could be great. There was practically NO ONE on the streets!!! I could have walked for blocks without seeing anyone.

As far as getting away from the city, I'm looking at Brevard because it never has been a city. Asheville was built as a small city, so it's not too surprising that it would continue on that route once it got on it's feet again..

And I wouldn't say the infrastructure was failing - seems like an exaggeration. And real estate prices are falling because the bubble burst everywhere.

I'll agree that it's very different than when you moved in though.

My plan is to live outside Asheville and go there when I need something more lively.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:14 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,489,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrycandy View Post
Oh Jeez, cut "Jonnifer" a little slack here. From what I see he/she lives in Charlotte - or could even be a newcomer to this area for all we know. Perhaps he/she just doesn't know these places already exist(?)

Heck, I even proved this to be the case in this very thread. I've resided here close to six years and didn't have a clue what Bellagio was. I'm finding and exploring new places every day.

"you people..." "those people..."

Chill.

"you people" was meant as the people on this board. It had no bad connotations.

So you need to just CHILL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
And I wouldn't say the infrastructure was failing - seems like an exaggeration.
This made me laugh, not at you but because of the first thing that came to my mind. Have you seen the state of the water lines here? Maybe roads and such are an exageration, but the 100 year old water lines aren't.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:54 PM

467 posts, read 1,192,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
"you people" was meant as the people on this board. It had no bad connotations.

So you need to just CHILL!

Well, my computer's word intent decoder tab must've been off when I read that. My apologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina