Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 07:30 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,880,592 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

we are closing on our house soon - and of course we bought lots of work, too

we are in need for someone, who is able to do all kind of smaller jobs (some painting, tiling, staining, maybe plumbing, some drywall work and the list goes on ....)

will be in town in march to meet and discuss the to-do list.

If you'd know someone in the area, who is able to work independently, that would be great ! private messages might work best !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 07:52 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,943,812 times
Come on QofB. Join me and be a do-it-yourselfer. Think of all the fun you can have painting, getting your hands dirty with tiling, figuring out how to drywall, etc. etc. etc.

Maybe it's my part Prussian heritage being cheap. I really don't know. I just take it day by day. Do you think a Bavarian could do it too?

As long as my wife stops diverting my attention with other appointments, I'll get it done . . . some day. At the very least, I'll save a whole lot of money and know that I've done a good job . . . even though it took quite a bit longer.

BTW, congratulations on your soon-to-be closing. I thought you had bought something over in Avery Creek, but I guess you had a change. In any case, congrats!

Last edited by garth; 01-25-2011 at 08:11 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 08:00 PM

how about you join ME instead ?

the problem is: I LOVE painting, tiling, smaller jobs myself, my husband too (he built in our inground pool himself ) - but .... we will be in town for 3-4 days in march and won't get to much work done within these couple of days.

and the next drive down will be with a huge truck, kids and pets and we would like to have some of the things done already.

and one is for sure: when you own a house, there is ALWAYS work, never ending, and there will be enough left for many, many days to come.

but, hey, I cook great german meals, in case you are bored or something and need some extra work

Old 01-25-2011, 10:01 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,943,812 times
Heehee! How about I do the work on your house and you do the work on mine. I'm also looking at paint and tile. Once you get in town, if your husband needs a hand one day with something, just drop me a line. I'll do anything for a potato pancake with applesauce.

Otherwise, I don't really have a "handyman" recommmendation as is probably evident. However, if you need a grading contractor, I would recommend one of them for you. He did a good job for me with grading quite a bit of dirt, pulling out some misplanted trees and doing some rock and mulch work. He was the most reasonable of all the people I had bid the job and he's a plain nice guy.

BTW, you do know about the Bavarian restaurant in Arden (Hendersonville Rd.), don't you? I like it a lot and the owner is a nice lady. She started it with her son and they've been open for quite a while.

There's another smaller Bavarian place up in north Woodfin on Merrimon that's also quaint. It's in a log cabin on the west side of the street. The owner is a character and I get a kick out of him. The cook is named Don and he does a good job on the food and making you feel welcome. I actually like their potato pancakes better than the Arden place.

Good luck on your move. We did about 2700 miles with two cars and two dogs, so I know with your chidren and animals in tow it will also be an adventure. However, I know you can do it.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
Heehee! How about I do the work on your house and you do the work on mine. I'm also looking at paint and tile. Once you get in town, if your husband needs a hand one day with something, just drop me a line. I'll do anything for a potato pancake with applesauce.
good thing I have this in writing - thanks

funny thing, I never had a potato pancake while I lived in germany - never tried the 'german bologna' either back then , but I am always open to new stuff.

It kind of makes me mad, we can't do everything on our own, since we really enjoy doing it - but we are stuck 10 hours north and simply have to get someone to help our. we even considered to 'import' our Delaware handyman for a couple of days

I might get back to you, as soon as we get to the landscaping part - but this won't be soon, I guess.

thanks

Old 01-30-2011, 06:02 PM

28 posts, read 59,507 times
I would check with your realtor as well as signing up for AngiesList.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina