Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:58 PM

112 posts, read 317,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Apparently I can't edit my previous message right now so I'll have to post another one.
1) UNCA is NOT a party school. So stop spreading rumors. In fact not a single WNC college is even on the list nor have I ever seen one on there (since 2002 when I started looking at colleges).
2)What exactly are you (OP) paying now to think WNC is cheaper than FL cost of living wise? When I was visiting in Florida I saw WHOLE HOUSES for 500-600 plus food was much cheaper not to mention basics like toilet paper. People are desperate and renting uber cheap there. If you are using an online cost of living calculator, stop now. They are worthless. I've never seen one that was accurate. Now of course the keys aren't going to be cheaper....
Apparently have you not read all of the posts, he does not live in Florida & he is not even considering Florida as a possible location to relocate.

He lives in NY & wants to move to WNC

Are you currently a student at UNCA? Are you wanting to find a party school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 11:55 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCbadwolf View Post
Apparently have you not read all of the posts, he does not live in Florida & he is not even considering Florida as a possible location to relocate.

He lives in NY & wants to move to WNC

Are you currently a student at UNCA? Are you wanting to find a party school?
And Apparently you haven't read all the posts either. He said he wanted to go to FL but his GF didn't because the cost of living.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyp0913 View Post
I'd love to move to FLA, but my gf is steadfast against it and the cost of living there is ridiculous

And I'm a UNCA alumnus.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:00 AM

112 posts, read 317,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
And Apparently you haven't read all the posts either. He said he wanted to go to FL but his GF didn't because the cost of living.

And I'm a UNCA alumnus.

How long since you finished school at UNCA?

Old 05-10-2011, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 3,795 times
dear johnny, no it is not a yankee friendly area. I am a former newyorker myself, and still feel like a fish out of water. I miss yankee honesty. What they call southern hospitality here is a joke. Yes, the are oh so friendly to your face, but as soon as you walk away they have something negative to stay. they are nosy- I suppose from a lack of nothing else to do here. As far as raising your child here. well Lenoir is drug infested, not sure about hickory ,but heard its the same. Hickory is definatley a better choice than Lenoir. as for jobs. I have a bachelors degree and am looking. There are noooo jobs here. sorry for the bad new , but find another place. seriousley.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:21 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinsational1 View Post
but as soon as you walk away they have something negative to stay. they are nosy- I suppose from a lack of nothing else to do here.
how do you know, what/how they talk as soon as you turned around and that it's only negative ?

and .... nothing else to do here .. is that how you feel ? or do you think "THEY" might be bored ?

your post sounds kind of arrogant and as a huge generalization to me - I hope, you appreciate my (european) honesty - as you do appreciate those honest yankees, you miss right now

Old 05-11-2011, 07:50 AM

358 posts, read 983,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCbadwolf View Post
Every year USA Today & Rolling Stones magazine puts out a list of the top 20 "party" schools in the country & every year at least one of those schools is somewhere in WNC. I can't remember but I think UNC Asheville is the school currently on the list & I believe Appalachian University in Boone is also on the list.
As a recent graduate of UNC Asheville, I can tell you that's 100% false.

The very thought that anyone would consider UNCA a "party school" is hilarious. Believe me, the kids there have far better things to do. Plus, how could anyone consider a university with 3,600 undergrads a "party school?"

Old 08-02-2011, 09:06 AM

16 posts, read 29,246 times
Johnny, I am researching the same areas as you. Not many helpful responses on my end either. I'm starting to feel the are not keen to transplants...LOL. I'm a former New Yorker(closer to the city) I live outside of Savannah, GA in Richmond Hill. I saw you were considering GA too. It's a great place to raise a family. My children love it here and the schools are great. The summer is extremely HOT and the gnats will drive you crazyOther than that I love it here. It's definitely a salt life area with so much water access. Savannah is a beautiful city with so much to do. As for schools here, I love the fact that there is only one El, middle, & HS. It's a great small town! Only RH area though. The other surrounding towns are nice but schools are horrible. You want to stay in Bryan Co. school district. So, why am I looking to move? My husband is retiring from the Army in 2 yrs. and we miss the seasons. I don't want NY winters but a little snow would be nice. If your are considering GA check out RH if you don't mind the heat. Affordable homes, great schools, great sport programs, Savannah is 15miles away...lots of job ob there. Also, there are two military bases here(Hunter & Stewart) which keeps the economy going. Good luck with your search

Old 08-04-2011, 04:44 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
dear johnny, no it is not a yankee friendly area. I am a former newyorker myself, and still feel like a fish out of water. I miss yankee honesty. What they call southern hospitality here is a joke. Yes, the are oh so friendly to your face, but as soon as you walk away they have something negative to stay. they are nosy- I suppose from a lack of nothing else to do here. As far as raising your child here. well Lenoir is drug infested, not sure about hickory ,but heard its the same. Hickory is definatley a better choice than Lenoir. as for jobs. I have a bachelors degree and am looking. There are noooo jobs here. sorry for the bad new , but find another place. seriousley.
If you hate it so badly and don't have a job, then why, pray tell, are you still there?

Old 12-19-2011, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,172 times
There's a saying the South, "We don't give a d*** how ya'll do it up North."

What that means is, Don't move to our communities and try to change us. We like ourselves just fine the way we are. Try to fit in with the community FIRST. Then you'll find you don't have to worry about whether or not you are accepted as a Yankee. You have to *first* accept us as Southerners. That's true of anywhere you move, though...south or west. Give up the superior/snotty attitude that so many Yankees are infamous for, and people will be able to exist with you.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,172 times
Quote:
dear johnny, no it is not a yankee friendly area. I am a former newyorker myself, and still feel like a fish out of water... but find another place. seriousley.

You *are* a fish out of water if you expect any other place to be like the place you came from! I'm a native of Lenoir, and know a born and raised Connecticut Yankee who has relocated here. She'd be the first to tell you, and these are more or less her sentiments, because she said as much to newcomers from New Hampshire: "Don't come here trying to change the people here; they are lovely and they don't need to be changed. If you don't like it in the South, then go back to New Hampshire."

Soooo, coming back at ya, with your own words: "Find another place. Seriously."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina