Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 01:38 PM

10 posts, read 40,971 times

Advertisements

I'm unfortunately not at all familiar with the mountains of NC (or anywhere else), but they appeal to me like no other! I'd love your opinions and thoughts on the best places in the mountains to raise a family. Good schools, good community, and local stores, restaurants, etc are a must. I don't care much about chain stores or restaurants. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 02:06 PM

112 posts, read 317,299 times
Where are you moving from?

What kind of shops & restaurants do you typically go to? (meaning, when you go shopping what are you looking for to buy & when you go out to eat what kind of food & price range do you go for? I only ask because you said you do not care about the chain stores )

How old are your children?

What are you hopping to pay in the way of rent or if you buy a home what is the max you would be willing to pay for a house?

What do you hope to pay in the way of utilities, power, gas, water, cable, internet, insurance, taxes, etc....?

What type of setting are you looking to live in, Suburban, Urban or rural lifestyle, What kind of area do you prefer to live in?

What is your preferable demographics of desired neighborhood?

What kind of work will you be looking for & what is the pay you would expect or hope to earn here?

Are you interested in community services, entertainment, sporting events, leisure activities?

Anything specific you can tell us about what you want out of your life if you were to move to the mtns would greatly help us to tell you what to expect & to help you with your decision. The more specific you are with what you want, the better we can help you.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:11 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by automatik2 View Post
I'm unfortunately not at all familiar with the mountains of NC (or anywhere else), but they appeal to me like no other! I'd love your opinions and thoughts on the best places in the mountains to raise a family. Good schools, good community, and local stores, restaurants, etc are a must. I don't care much about chain stores or restaurants. Thanks!

Hendersonville

Mills River

Most anywhere in Henderson County. Here is the website for the local newspaper. www.blueridgenow.com

If you Google: Henderson County NC you should get skads of information. Top schools and plenty of things for children.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:10 PM

10 posts, read 40,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCbadwolf View Post
Where are you moving from? Central NC - Greensboro

What kind of shops & restaurants do you typically go to? (meaning, when you go shopping what are you looking for to buy & when you go out to eat what kind of food & price range do you go for? I only ask because you said you do not care about the chain stores ) Local shops - I can get anything I can't find from a local shop, from a chain store online. Local food, organic local even better. We really don't need much in the way of extras - just the normal every day stuff (food, toiletries).

How old are your children? 9 months and 6 years

What are you hopping to pay in the way of rent or if you buy a home what is the max you would be willing to pay for a house? We'd need to rent for at least a year or two, would like to stay in the $1000ish range for rent - then to buy, probably under $400,000.

What do you hope to pay in the way of utilities, power, gas, water, cable, internet, insurance, taxes, etc....? We pay about $400/month right now for power, water, cable, internet, insurance. We're renting, so no taxes. I'd assume we'd take those into consideration when we can buy and plan accordingly.

What type of setting are you looking to live in, Suburban, Urban or rural lifestyle, What kind of area do you prefer to live in? We just don't want to be "in the city". We want to have nature around us. I'm not opposed to living in a development, but I don't want to be in a city where it is block after block of cookie-cutter houses for miles in every direction.

What is your preferable demographics of desired neighborhood? As long as the people are friendly, I'm pretty indifferent.

What kind of work will you be looking for & what is the pay you would expect or hope to earn here? Both my boyfriend and I are lucky enough to have jobs where we work from home.

Are you interested in community services, entertainment, sporting events, leisure activities? I'd like a sense of community, kids sports for when my children are old enough to play on teams, maybe a place to swim. We don't need an orchestra, a theater, etc.

Anything specific you can tell us about what you want out of your life if you were to move to the mtns would greatly help us to tell you what to expect & to help you with your decision. The more specific you are with what you want, the better we can help you. We are moving towards living more sustainably. I just want a wholesome life for my kids. I'm sick of living in Greensboro with all of its "conveniences" that are really just sucking the life out of communities.
Thank you for all your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina