Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 03:35 PM

4 posts, read 5,649 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have learned some great things from this forum, but I am a bit confused about some of the opposing thoughts and facts I have read. Perhaps someone can help to clarify.

Myself, my boyfriend, and a good friend are moving to Asheville, or a nearby area, in early April. We have been there to visit on three separate occasions, and have loved the area each time. We are in our early 20s, and we all have stable, consistent job history. My boyfriend finished 3 years in the Army, including 2 deployments, and has had the hardest time finding decent work, in any field. I think he will have the biggest challenge when we move. He has been employed continuously since April 2010.

I have read on this site that rent has gone sky high over the past few years, but when I look at Craigslist ads, and on The Asheville Citizen-Times | Asheville news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Asheville, North Carolina | citizen-times.com , the rental prices seem much cheaper to me than what we are currently paying in the Capital Region of NY. I'm not sure where we are supposed to rank, but I can tell you, rent prices here are outrageous. I imagine it has something to do with the high density of colleges in the area (financial aid, loans and parents pay for needed apartments, so landlords can jack up the rent in these areas because someone will lease it without question), and people who work at the capital. The majority of the managed apartment complexes start require first, last, security, and sometimes more if you have questionable credit.

So my main question is are we being naive in thinking we could find a clean, 2-bedroom semi-modern rental with a yard in the range of $700-800 a month? We have a large dog who will make things a little more difficult, because of her breed, so a yard is necessary. I would rather not move into an apartment complex, so we are looking into single family homes. Our rent range is flexible, and we would be willing to pay a bit more for a great place where we can live long-term (at least 2 years).

As far as jobs, I have over 3 years experience working with developmentally disabled adults (mental retardation, autism, schizophrenia, cerebral palsy, downs syndrome, etc) and have a great record with my employer. I currently make about $13/hr with good benefits. My plan is to send out my resume and application to every agency I can find within a 1 hour drive from Asheville in early March, so hopefully I can set up interviews for the week we arrive. If anyone can recommend agencies, I would really appreciate it. My friend has several years experience working in retail, and would be trying to find an entry level management position. She has an Associates degree, which may look more attractive to a potential employer.

None of us are opposed to taking any job we can get when we first arrive. Do you think finding a job in our preferred field will be extremely difficult?

We will be staying with a friend when we first arrive, so we will have time to find employment and housing without having to be in a severe time crunch.

Sorry this is so long! Any feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 04:07 PM

112 posts, read 317,299 times
I think you are going to have a hard time finding a house with a yard in a good area within your price range.

If you are looking for work with MR clients, there are several group homes & day centers in the area for them. Below is a link to one called the Irene Wortham center. I worked there for several years before I went back to school. I worked in the Adult Day center. They pay $9.75 an hour, which is the best you are going to find in that field of work. They are a good company to work for, the clients are wonderful, I truly miss them. But the pay is not good at all. One thing about working there is that they will train & certify you to be medication certified, all employees have to be certified & work on a rotation schedule to administer medications to the clients, most of which are g-tube feeder & take their meds in the same manner. If you would like any more specific information about the field &/or the center, please feel free to send me a private message.

Irene Wortham Center - Asheville, North Carolina - Irene Wortham Center

Old 02-19-2011, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the information, I truly appreciate it.

I have found that both agencies I have worked for, as well as every agency I have ever looked into working for (in this area), paid less to those who worked in the day programs, because they had better shifts (days), no mandations, no weekends, etc. I am hoping that is the same for agencies in NC. I have always worked in group homes, with high and low functioning adults, some behaviorally intense, some medically frail, and possess all certifications in necessary in NY, so hopefully they can be transferred, or challenged. I found a good resource for agency listings in the state, so now I have a little better idea of what I can hope to find, and the Irene Wortham Center is on my list

Old 02-19-2011, 04:42 PM

As far as finding a rental, I think we're just really going to have to wait to get there and actually drive around different parts of WNC to get a feel for the area. We're not the type of people who want to live right in downtown, in the heart of the action. We would actually prefer a home that is in a more isolated area where we can have a yard and some privacy. Driving to get "somewhere" isn't much of a problem since we are all used to having to commute up to an hour to get to a mall or shopping center that wasn't Wal*mart lol

Old 02-20-2011, 09:27 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
I don't understand why you HAVE to move in April if you all have jobs where you are at. It is extremely difficult to find a job in any field in Asheville and you would be wise to have a year of living expenses saved if you are moving without a job or wait until you actually get an offer. Why aren't you applying now instead of waiting until March?!

That or be really good at waiting tables.

And yes, you are being unrealistic with that rental price range. You will have a slim chance of finding a house in the country with yard for that price, unless of course trailers are ok with you. And it sounds like you have a dog that's a restricted breed, few people will allow them because of the liability they have to have as landlords. Also, the rent requirements you listed are standard here too. The majority of private homes for rent require one month security deposit plus a first months rent and sometimes last months too.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:35 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,361 times
I second that. why not coming down in spring, look around for neighborhoods, apply for jobs and then make up you mind ?

you write "we all have stable, consistent job history" but think, your boyfriend will be having a hard time, after he is employed since last april. I think, I would not take the risk.

if you browse the forum you will notice, that jobs are very rare and usually the pay is on the lower side.
maybe at least ONE of the three of you should have a job lined up.

good luck to you anyway !

Old 02-21-2011, 08:00 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
You are getting good advice, and should rethink this move until jobs are in place. One thing I'd like to mention is that not only will you have a difficult time finding a landlord who will allow a large "restricted" breed, but without a job, you won't pass a credit check. In this or any economy, landlords want to see longevity of work and income history before renting. We always advise not to relocate anywhere, especially here in WNC, because of the unemployment situation. You will be one/two of several hundred or maybe even a thousand seeking any kind of job here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina