Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 02:17 PM

21 posts, read 47,167 times

Advertisements

It seems like a long time coming but our house sale in Vt . closes March 1st and we are moving to Asheville , arriving around March 12th.We've rented a small condo in Haw Creek Heights for a year while we become familiar with the area neighborhoods and decide where we want to buy a home.
I believe this question has been addressed before but I can't find the thread, What is the best choice for internet, cable , telephone options and approximately how long does it take to get "hooked up".
Thanks in advance for responses. Linda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 02:37 PM

112 posts, read 317,299 times
Youre only option for cable tv is Charter Communications. If the condos allow satellite then you have other options. Internet can be provided by charter or thru AT&T, Telephone can also be provided thru Charter but you also have the option of going with AT&T, Vonage or some other internet phone provider. If you go with Charter for everything then they can give you package deals. I have all 3 services thru charter & my bill is around $175 a month. I do not have any of the premium movie channels & I never buy a movie or extra services.

Depending on how busy the company is at the time you call you could get the services hooked up between 24 hours & 1 week. All depends on your schedule & their openings.

If your condo complex allows satellites then you can also get a package deal thru AT&T, I don't know how much it typically costs, I personally do not like AT&T so I have stayed away from them. Charter is the lesser of the 2 evils.

www.charter.com

Old 02-22-2011, 02:57 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times
I have television (basic cable) and high-speed internet (it really is very high speed) through Charter, and the bill is some $120/month. It's expensive, but it's pretty much your only option. The internet in particular is well worth the money, however, because it is extremely fast, at least at my house. I regularly download at 1 mb/sec, and sometimes even faster if it is a torrent with good seeds. But yeah, Charter is going to be what you get.

If you don't mind me asking, where in Vermont are you moving from? And, much more importantly, why? I am actually planning a move to Vermont (or possibly NH, ME, or AK if I can't make VT work) after I get done with the degree I am currently working on. I am hoping to move to the NEK, but I am curious as to where you're coming from and what made you want to leave.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:34 PM

21 posts, read 47,167 times
Hi Ship of Fools,
Thanks for sharing your information and also thanks to the other poster. My husband and I are coming from Putney Vt., just North of Brattleboro in the southeastern part of the state. Brattleboro is a great town as well as Putney.Its quite a bit like Asheville socio-politically but 1/4 the size. we are moving for several reasons, we've been in Vt many years and we're ready for a change and a bit larger music, restaurant scene, our son is living in Asheville and we'd like to be closer, and we've grown weary of the long winters, and very substantial amount of snow, particularly since we are no longer down hill skiers (so we play in the snow much less than in earlier years). We are looking forward to four seasons but with a much longer Spring and Fall. We are aware that we will be giving up an extremely pristine environment, and for the most part a progressive and accepting community( it has been a superb place to raise a child) but hope we will find some of that in Asheville, though we're aware of the local air pollution which wafts over from Tenn. We live close to the border of NH, also a beautiful state though not as socially/ politically progressive as Vermont. We have a friend that has a second home in the North East Kingdom. That is the ultimate area for pristine beauty but quite remote. Burlington and surround, on Lake Champlain is also a very nice area to consider. Best of luck to you in your move north. Linda

Old 02-22-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindavt View Post
though we're aware of the local air pollution which wafts over from Tenn.
I have lived in WNC my entire life & I am not aware of the local air pollution which wafts over from Tenn. What exactly is it that is so bad in TN that sometimes finds it way here?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:06 PM

765 posts, read 2,569,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCbadwolf View Post
I have lived in WNC my entire life & I am not aware of the local air pollution which wafts over from Tenn. What exactly is it that is so bad in TN that sometimes finds it way here?
TVA is dumping tons of pollutants from their coal fired plants into NC. It is so bad that the state of NC sued TVA over it and won a year or so ago. It was overturned by a judge in VA and is now under further appeal. However the more immediate source is the paper plant in Canton. On a bad day you can smell it in West Asheville and last Friday when I was out fishing I could smell it all the way down to Brevard and up along Hwy 191 past Mills River. I'm glad I'm on the east side of the river

Old 02-22-2011, 07:18 PM

Never heard of the whole TVA pollutants, (not that I even know what TVA is) As for Canton, I think people greatly over exaggerate the smell. Sure it has some bad days now & then but it has never bothered me in the least.

Transplants just love to talk about how much the paper mill in Canton smells & how they wish it would shut down or something, then the next words out of their mouth is how the factories & industries are leaving WNC and how we need more factory jobs & such back in WNC. Well you can't have it both way. Yes Canton may smell but it employees over 3000 people which is just 2000 short of the population of Canton. The smell is just a normal byproduct of manufacturing paper. It can not be stopped or changed, it is what it is. If you chose to live in WNC then you have to accept that there is a paper mill in Canton & there is always going to be the chance of catching a whiff of it ANYWHERE in WNC at any given moment. It is just a fact of life here just like the smell of the hippies in downtown Asheville.

Last edited by WNCbadwolf; 02-22-2011 at 07:27 PM..

Old 02-22-2011, 07:22 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,837,831 times
Quote:
Never heard of the whole TVA pollutants, (not that I even know what TVA is)
TVA

Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,361 times
Quote:
Never heard of the whole TVA pollutants, (not that I even know what TVA is) As for Canton, I think people greatly over exaggerate the smell. Sure it has some bad days now & then but it has never bothered me in the least.

Transplants just love to talk about how much the paper mill in Canton smells & how they wish it would shut down or something, then the next words out of their mouth is how the factories & industries are leaving WNC and how we need more factory jobs & such back in WNC. Well you can't have it both way. Yes Canton may smell but it employees over 3000 people which is just 2000 short of the population of Canton. The smell is just a normal byproduct of manufacturing paper. It can not be stopped or changed, it is what it is. If you chose to live in WNC then you have to accept that there is a paper mill in Canton & there is always going to be the chance of catching a whiff of it ANYWHERE in WNC at any given moment. It is just a fact of life here just like the smell of the hippies in downtown Asheville.
the smell would not bother me that much (IF you are even able to smell it) - it's just a huge health concern

Water and air contamination by coal ash

A study released in August 2010 that examined state pollution data in the United States by the organizations Environmental Integrity Project, the Sierra Club and Earthjustice found that coal ash produced by coal-fired power plants dumped at sites across 21 U.S. states has contaminated ground water with toxic elements. The contaminants including the poisons arsenic and lead. [20]
Arsenic has been shown to cause skin cancer, bladder cancer and lung cancer, and lead damages the nervous system.[21] Coal ash contaminants are also linked to respiratory diseases and other health and developmental problems, and have disrupted local aquatic life.[20] Additional contaminants emitted include boron, which attacks the testes, kidney and brain, and the heavy metal mercury, a neurotoxicant particularly harmful to a child's development, causing nerve damage and impairment of a child's ability to write, read and learn. Coal ash also releases a variety of toxic contaminants into nearby air, posing a health threat to those who breath in fugitive coal dust.[22]

Fossil fuel power station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

if you know, what damage can be done by contaminated air and that coal fired power plants provide about 50% of consumed electricity in the United States - it should not be surprising, we have SO many kids with write, read and learn disabilities and high cancer rates.

Hard to imagine, badwolf, you are a native, work in health care and never heard about that issue ?

Old 02-22-2011, 10:48 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
Some mornings I could smell the Canton plant in deep fairview....Just saying.

The TVA issue has been going on for several years now and I can't believe a judge overturned the ruling. Anyone living in WNC can clearly see the effects almost daily with how smoggy the mountains look.

Anyways, back to the OP, charter is really your only option for everything. AT&T offers super slow dsl with **** poor service. I tried them for a month and switched right back. As someone else said, charter is the lesser of the two evils. If you schedule it before hand, you can get it hooked up the same day you move in, just depends what they have open and what works with your schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina