Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 01:21 PM

30 posts, read 53,078 times

Advertisements

I'm so impressed by the way people jump in to help people decide where might be best for them I'm asking, too! My husband and I are in our almost mid-60s but un-retired - we want to be in a natural environment where we can have a cottage and a little land and do our (mostly internet) educational business. We don't have to have diversity exactly, but need open attitudes and down to earth people. My husband's a jazz musician/teacher and I'm a writer (sort of) who wants to have a vegetable garden on our big deck overlooking a stream. Sigh. (Who wouldn't?) ... Asheville looks out, the more I read about it (we're not hippies or new age-ers, although our spiritual life is #1 for us) and what we're really looking for is mountains with a comfortable climate with shorter than Pennsylvania winters. We'd really like to be in an area that has organic produce and humanely raised chicken and other meats nearby. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 02:01 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryrossi View Post
I'm so impressed by the way people jump in to help people decide where might be best for them I'm asking, too! My husband and I are in our almost mid-60s but un-retired - we want to be in a natural environment where we can have a cottage and a little land and do our (mostly internet) educational business. We don't have to have diversity exactly, but need open attitudes and down to earth people. My husband's a jazz musician/teacher and I'm a writer (sort of) who wants to have a vegetable garden on our big deck overlooking a stream. Sigh. (Who wouldn't?) ... Asheville looks out, the more I read about it (we're not hippies or new age-ers, although our spiritual life is #1 for us) and what we're really looking for is mountains with a comfortable climate with shorter than Pennsylvania winters. We'd really like to be in an area that has organic produce and humanely raised chicken and other meats nearby. Thank you in advance!

Hi Mary Since Asheville is "out" I would encourage you to look at southwest Virginia. The area from Abington and Damascus all the way to Fancy Gap, actually as far over as the great little town of Floyd, would have a lot of what you are looking for.

The area has a very rich musical heritage. In particular, town of Galax is just riddled with musicians. It hosts the annual Fiddlers Convention every August and thousands of people flock there for the 5 day event to hear amazing musicians compete. http://www.oldfiddlersconvention.com/

In addition, there is the Blue Ridge Music Center just south of town on the Blue Ridge Parkway - you should check that out online for sure. http://www.blueridgemusiccenter.org/

Oh, and Galax is home to the Chestnut Creek School of the arts, a really neat place for artists and musicians of all ages! http://www.chestnutcreekarts.org/

If staying in NC is important to you, I recommend you look at the Wilkesboro area. It is much more affordable than the Asheville area and also has a nearby mountains and home grown music. http://www.merlefest.org/

Best of luck in your search for "home"

Old 02-23-2011, 04:08 PM

4,792 posts, read 10,617,090 times
maryrossi,
Dunno why ''Asheville looks out'' to you; fairly diverse community, but certainly not just "new agers and hippies". Jeeshh, the 'town' and area are large enough and slightly populated enough that it affords many 'ways' of living, from 'burbs to remote. It is not exactly Haight-Ashbury or the Village, circa 1967, lol!

And, there are dozens of towns 'around' Asheville, within 35 miles, all with different feel and character, imo.

I often wonder how people from states away, come to conclusions on moving from A to B, or maybe look at M, based on any public forum, even one as comprehensive at CD.

High Speed internet is available in many areas, music and art and crafts are all over the place, for the religious there are churches on nearly every corner, climate is similar but not as severe as most places I've been in PA, etc. I don't even live in A'ville, but I really like western NC, and if you aren't looking for employment and can 'bring it with you', I highly rec'd the area.

My advice, come on down for a long week in A'ville and surrounding areas.
GL, mD

Old 02-23-2011, 10:36 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,413,802 times
Mary,

You seem perfect for Asheville or the surrounding areas, depending on what price range of cottage you're looking for and how much entertainment you want access to.

I could see you in Brevard, about a 45 minute drive south of Asheville. They have a music school that puts on concerts in the summer with students and professionals playing together. Lots of streams and waterfalls there. Poppies Market sells organic/humane foods and you have access to organic/humane producers in the Asheville and surrounding area. WNC Farmers Market is just south of Asheville

http://www.visitwaterfalls.com/

Old 02-24-2011, 07:44 AM

Thanks so much! We are planning a trip to the Asheville area in early April, and will check out the towns south and surrounding it - I'm also glad to hear that Asheville isn't as imagined. You're right David - you can't decide long-distance, but you sure can get helpful input! Virginia sounds okay except that it's not as warm as NC which is part of what we're looking for (how far south can we get and still be in the mountains?) - as is a sort of good natured tolerance of different people, which is getting harder to find today. Along with specific areas, you all just verified that the area is well worth checking out ... good to hear, since my last visit there was for 2 months of summer camp around 1955 :-) -- THANKS SO MUCH!

Old 02-24-2011, 09:04 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Thanks so much! We are planning a trip to the Asheville area in early April, and will check out the towns south and surrounding it - I'm also glad to hear that Asheville isn't as imagined. You're right David - you can't decide long-distance, but you sure can get helpful input! Virginia sounds okay except that it's not as warm as NC which is part of what we're looking for (how far south can we get and still be in the mountains?) - as is a sort of good natured tolerance of different people, which is getting harder to find today. Along with specific areas, you all just verified that the area is well worth checking out ... good to hear, since my last visit there was for 2 months of summer camp around 1955 :-) -- THANKS SO MUCH!
Just FYI, the snow and year round temps are not much different in southwest Virginia than they are in Asheville. As the bird flies they are very near one another, and the elevation is similiar in most places, especially if you lived in Asheville's surrounding highest elevations.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:10 AM

120 posts, read 390,911 times
Mary - Your initial post mentions: ...a comfortable climate with shorter than Pennsylvania winters...
May I ask where in Pennsylvania you are from and/or currently living? I am originally from SW PA as you can see from my log in name! I can relate to your post. Definitely give the Asheville/WNC area a look. It is a spiritual area for all faiths, music is part of life here, definitely a place with homegrown and organic produce in the markets and the restaurants, wonderful place to garden, the winters are not as gloomy or as long as those in Pennsylvania, the people are friendly, the cities and towns are true communities and people are proud of where they live and work, there is lots of culture though the cultural emphasis may be different than where you currently live there is much to appreciate and enjoy. Actually I have noticed similarities between WNC and SW PA that are quite positive and make you feel right at home. We love the Asheville/WNC area. May the mountains speak to you when you visit.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:15 PM

SteelCity - we're at the other end of the state, where there's more sunshine and less snow - BUT very pricey, lots of upscale neighborhoods (Chester County) very little close country AND #1 in lyme disease per year. I read on a national weather locator that Asheville has an average high of 45 in the coldest months of the winter which - compared to 30 - 35 here - sounds delightful ... not to mention the walks in the mountains (without fear of lyme disease) instead of down packed-in neighborhood streets. The cultural emphasis you speak of suggests open minds - thanks for your message - you were very sweet!

Old 02-26-2011, 01:04 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Quote:
Virginia sounds okay except that it's not as warm as NC which is part of what we're looking for (how far south can we get and still be in the mountains?)
I don't think the mountains of VA are that much different (in temps) from the mountains of NC, since I think NC's mountains are generally higher.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:01 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,296,713 times
A comparison of Galax, VA, and Asheville: (Ignore the Connellys Springs.)

Climatology Comparison for Connellys Springs, NC - weather.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina