Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 08:23 PM

6 posts, read 11,034 times

Advertisements

hi guys

im thinking to sell hot dog,hamburgers etc in ashville .where is the best location to do this ?or which street?

and do you guys think this business will work out .any suggestion?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 09:22 PM

112 posts, read 317,360 times
I would defiantly go to a hamburger & hot dog place. Well it depends on the type of hamburger & hot dogs you serve.

What I would love to see is a place that did focus on everything being organic, free range, up scale or fancied up. If you serve just plain old fashion hamburgers, hand pattied, never frozen, basic non fussy toppings like, iceberg lettuce, Vidalia or yellow onions, standard yellow mustard (no Grey poupon or Dion mustards) home made fries & chips that you cut yourself from fresh potatoes, nothing frozen, freeze dried or prepackaged. As for hot dogs, I would love a place that offers home made chili to go on them.

If that is the kind of place you are thinking about opening then I would LOVE it. As for location. I think somewhere in the west part of the county would be perfect for something like that. Patton Ave, Smokey Park, near exit 44 on I-40, Enka and Candler actually have a lot of vacant shops right now that would make perfect locations for a restaurant with tons of parking. Personally I don't think a place like that would do well in Northern or Southern part of Buncombe county, those areas tend to cater more to the up scale, organic, free range & vegetarian types. You can get a burger or hot dog at many places in those areas.

A good old fashion hamburger and hot dog with real fries &/or chips is very hard to find in this area

Old 02-24-2011, 10:35 PM

6 posts, read 11,034 times
thanks for your suggestions WNCbadwolf, how about a hot dog cart?where would be good place to stay for a hot dog cart?have you ever seen a hot dog or ice cream cart in asheville?well you gave me some good places for a hot dog restaurant do you have any idea how much real estates in those areas?or avaible places for a hot dog restaurant?

thanks.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-25-2011 at 09:20 AM..

Old 02-24-2011, 10:43 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,473,588 times
Just FYI, NC requires permits and inspections of all food carts, just like a restaurant.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:01 PM

I have seen a hot dog cart in downtown, usually around the court house & pack square. I have never ate from any of them, I don't typically walk around downtown. I just drive through & see them.

I really have no idea how much rent for any of those empty shops are. Just head out on 19/23 (Patton Ave, Smokey Park Hwy) toward Canton you will see several shopping centers along the way, there is one in Candler called Overlook Village that is completely empty because the owner completely remodeled every shop, and repaved the parking lot, nobody has moved in yet but they have a big sign out front saying they are taking leases, There are also a few empty shops in the plaza next to the Enka library. Just get out there & drive around the area. All the shops that have vacancies have signs with phone numbers. I can't imagine any of them would ask the kind of rent you would pay if you were in downtown or one of the more trendy areas like Haywood Rd.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:07 PM

OH, by the way, there is a hot dog place in Candler, it is about a mile from the county line, Hot Dog King, I have never actually been to it but everyone I have ever known who has been there just raves on the place. When ever I have driven by the place is usually packed. I am not telling you think because I don't think the area could handle the competition but because it shows how that area the people LOVE things like that. They don't want the up scale, organic or trendy restaurants. They want real food, large portions & well worth the money.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:59 PM

358 posts, read 983,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCbadwolf View Post
OH, by the way, there is a hot dog place in Candler, it is about a mile from the county line, Hot Dog King, I have never actually been to it but everyone I have ever known who has been there just raves on the place. When ever I have driven by the place is usually packed. I am not telling you think because I don't think the area could handle the competition but because it shows how that area the people LOVE things like that. They don't want the up scale, organic or trendy restaurants. They want real food, large portions & well worth the money.
Hot Dog King is awful!!! I dunno how that chain of crap has lasted as long as it has. It's not good... The one there in Candler isn't any better than the one downtown, or on Tunnel Road, or in Fairview... It's just not good... The quality of the ingredients is poor and the level cleanliness in the restaurant isn't any better. Sorry, I just don't see any redeeming qualities about the restaurants.

The very best hot dog place in town actually had to shut down a couple years ago, unfortunately.

It was H.B.'s, which was just past Beaver Lake, like you're heading into Weaverville on Merrimon. It's some hippie dippie granola "cafe" now.

It's unfortunate, because their hotdogs were the absolute best and their toppings were unbeatable, too. I always used to go there with my granddaddy when I was younger.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:05 AM

358 posts, read 786,484 times
Just have to agree with Josh, Hot Dog King is terrible. I had a job near there so grabbed a dog at lunch. Tables and floor were filthy and the kitchen was a mix of family and friends and cooks socializing. The dog was something you could just as easily nuke at home and slop on a generic bun and the fries had been hanging around since the day before. If you would open a Portillo's franchise in Asheville There are two people here that would lobby for your portrait on Rushmore.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:03 AM

467 posts, read 1,189,506 times
Two words: The Admiral

There's some tough competition out there: A special take on weiners

In regard to food trucks and carts in and around Asheville - Read this message from a friend's wife is currently trying to open up a food truck downtown.

"Mobile Street Food Update: The discussion was extremely encouraging. It is obvious the city has accepted the inevitable change of their policies towards mobile food... There will be a meeting March &th at the 5th floor of City Hall to further the discussion. Much thanks to Jeremy Hardcastle and Jay Parrino for showing up and everyone's support."

Old 02-25-2011, 07:05 AM

467 posts, read 1,189,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGosh Josh View Post
Hot Dog King is awful!!!
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina